Titan does not have gorilla glass but substitute

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
"I understand you are wondering if the HTC Titan's display is made with Gorilla Glass. I know how handy it is to learn about a new device and I will be happy to advise. In our commitment to quality, HTC pioneered the use of shatter-proof glass in smartphones. At the time, Corning was the only manufacturer and we used their product, Gorilla Glass. Since then, many manufactures have developed and advanced shatter-proof glass technology, allowing HTC to use the highest quality cutting edge shatterproof glass in our smartphones while keeping costs low for our customers."

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
But is it scratch resistant? Anybody want to test it with an aggressive key scrape. Maybe HTC can put out a video. That would help.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

edboogie78

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I went to the at&t store yesterday and I found a couple of scratches on the display model. Kinda disappointing.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

VividBlue

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for about a month and have looked after it, but have one long deep scratch and two small scuffs. I don't think the glass is that great which is a shame, as the rest of the phone is top notch

pdangcil

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, that sucks!!!
But for what its worth, the Focus supposedly has gorilla glass too but mine already has a couple of minor scratches.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
"I understand you are wondering if the HTC Titan's display is made with Gorilla Glass. I know how handy it is to learn about a new device and I will be happy to advise. In our commitment to quality, HTC pioneered the use of shatter-proof glass in smartphones. At the time, Corning was the only manufacturer and we used their product, Gorilla Glass. Since then, many manufactures have developed and advanced shatter-proof glass technology, allowing HTC to use the highest quality cutting edge shatterproof glass in our smartphones while keeping costs low for our customers."
I assume this was an HTC CR rep? Could you provide some context? Thanks.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've had real good luck with Gorilla Glass on my Nokia N8's. Not a scratch or scuff mark on either. My wife tosses her N8 in her purse with keys. We've had them for a year.

My HTC Trophy is always carried in a belt case and it doesn't have any marks either.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I did the scratch test with my focus and it doesn't have one scratch from it. But I do have a few minor scratches. I toss my phone in book bags, in my pocket with keys and change, and I never worry about it. I think Gorilla Glass is great.

I think the HTC rep was saying "Gorilla Glass" is just the known name, and that several companies have processes that make scratch resistant screens, but they just can't call it gorilla glass.

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
My focus has a few surface level scratches nothing major. I would imagine that whatever HTC is using for glass is not the same recipe for gorilla glass. As such its likely not as good.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I assume this was an HTC CR rep? Could you provide some context? Thanks.

Sorry posted from airplane as I was leaving town. Yeah, i emailed HTC from their website and that was the response I received. I have always had a screen protector on my phones. Doesnt change clarity and for the price, its a great investment.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a Motorola Atrix with gorilla glass and it lives up to its reputation. This is my second HTC device and the first got a few scratches without any abuse what so ever. People I know with HTC devices also have scratched up their devices at one point or another. I'm not a fan of screen protectors but being my Titan is an HTC device in going to have to put one on. Bummer.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Check out MobieChick on Twitter. She confirmed with HTC that the Titan does have gorilla glass. I don't know her personally but her bio says she is att sponsored and she seems legit. She gives away phones a lot too!

MobieChick (@MobieChick)
11/28/11 12:58 PM
@Bacchus1313 HTC has confirmed again that the device has gorilla glass

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Sad to hear that others already have scratches. I'm pretty harsh on my cell phones. My current HTC Imagio (I've had to get quite a few replacements in the two years I've had it) is only about 9 months old and it looks like a cat's scratching post. It just has a plastic screen, though, but nevertheless, I was hoping to get rid of the problem with my next phone.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Check out MobieChick on Twitter. She confirmed with HTC that the Titan does have gorilla glass. I don't know her personally but her bio says she is att sponsored and she seems legit. She gives away phones a lot too!

MobieChick (@MobieChick)
11/28/11 12:58 PM
@Bacchus1313 HTC has confirmed again that the device has gorilla glass

HTC absolutely does mot use Gorilla Glass. Off the top of my head Motorola, HP and Samgsung use Gorilla Glass. You can verify this on the Corning site. They have a list of manufatureres that use their products and HTC was never on the list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786