Titan's body: Aluminum or Plastic?

gpsi

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,
I recently purchased a Titan from AT&T's 1 cent sale (...as recent as about 13 hours ago). I'm already anxious to get the phone in hand, and I'm planning on making mine stand out a little bit.

I was wondering if the phone's body is aluminum or plastic? I've heard different accounts from multiple sources (cnet says plastic, wpcentral says aluminum, etc etc). If it is aluminum, polishing it to a mirror finish shouldn't be too difficult! Can anyone tell me unequivocally if the phone is body is plastic or alum?!

Thanks!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Most European Titan reviews do mention its Metal unibody, whether the US one is plastic i can't say, but the one i was noseying at in phones4u was indeed metal. (Assistant opened it and dropped the back on the table)

It certainly didn't make the noise of plastic LOL.

Perhaps the black is metal and grey plastic, i have no idea, but the one i saw in phones4u was the black one.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was metal too... When I take off the cover and give it a closer look/feel I think it really is plastic. The weight is all in the phone half after you take off the back.

Sent from my TITAN using Board Express

soundguise

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I played with one at an at&t store on Wednesday and took the back off and it was certainly metal (cold but light - gotta love aluminum) the bottom section that looks different is indeed plastic so the antenna can function. I was impressed how much the bulk of the phone is contained in the screen and battery. I agree that the back seemed to weigh almost nothing.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was metal too... When I take off the cover and give it a closer look/feel I think it really is plastic. The weight is all in the phone half after you take off the back.

Well aluminum would be pretty light anyways. That's why they use it. What sort of sound does it make if you tap it? You might take a knife and score the inside of the cover slightly too. If it's plastic it should scratch easily, if it's aluminum it will be a lot harder to scratch and you won't have the white or whatever color plastic visible inside the scratch.

Edit: Also what soundguise said about the temperature. Aluminum will feel much cooler than plastic, especially if you put something cold on one part of it or stick in in the freezer for a moment.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I played with one at an at&t store on Wednesday and took the back off and it was certainly metal (cold but light - gotta love aluminum) the bottom section that looks different is indeed plastic so the antenna can function. I was impressed how much the bulk of the phone is contained in the screen and battery. I agree that the back seemed to weigh almost nothing.

Same here. The one I played with seemed nice and hard. If that was plastic then that was some pretty sweet plastic. :D

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's plastic, but it is "pretty sweet plastic" lol. Very hard and durable feeling. I think that's why there is confusion. On the phone it feels very much like metal.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
At&t Titan back = Aluminum

There is some plastic at the very bottom of the back plate and on the top around the power button and headphone jack

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Falconeight is correct. Take it off and inspect it. It does a very good job impersonating aluminum, but it's plastic. But.. Its not a cheap plastic, its very sturdy.

falconeight#IM

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
I quote from HTC's press release from the September launch of both the Titan and Radar.

"The HTC TITAN brings your favorite content and multimedia experiences closer than ever with a large 4.7 inch display, HTC?s largest phone screen ever wrapped in an ultra-thin 9.9mm aluminum case."

http://www.windowscentral.com/its-official-htc-announces-titan-and-radar

If along the way they substituted the aluminum with plastic they've chosen a plastic that looks and feels just like aluminum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb