11-29-2011 06:49 PM
51 123
tools
    WeeBear would have to answer that. I own my own phone and I pay AT&T $100 a month.
    See I'm thinking about doing pay-as-you-go because you pay $50 a month for unlimited everything. And all you have to do is buy an unlocked phone and slip in the SIM card. You pay more for the phone but you save monthly. And with Microsoft saying Windows Phones will soon cost just $300 (which they already do unlocked such as the Focus $240, HD7S $320, etc.) I don't think it's such a bad deal. Also if I'm not mistaken you don't have to pay all those taxes and fees you see on your AT&T bill.
    11-28-2011 02:54 AM
    If you wan't a new phone from the network you pay more of course, so say you want the Nokia Lumia 800 you pay 37 per month. ($57)

Loads of handsets cheaper than this of course, and they start at 27 ($42) including the phone. (Unlimited data plan)
    11-28-2011 03:00 AM
    I really hate seeing Sprint (Wimax), T-Mobile and AT&T calling their HSDPA+ 4G data when it's not. It only causes confusion. 4G data is LTE. There aren't any WP7 with LTE yet.
    It's all for marketing. Really they could call it 5G if they wanted to. Maybe they should? lol. I am sure somebody would sue then though. But nobody would have a legit case saying HSDPA+ isn't 4G really.

It's a lot faster than 3G no matter who you are with.
    11-28-2011 06:08 AM
    See I'm thinking about doing pay-as-you-go because you pay $50 a month for unlimited everything. And all you have to do is buy an unlocked phone and slip in the SIM card. You pay more for the phone but you save monthly. And with Microsoft saying Windows Phones will soon cost just $300 (which they already do unlocked such as the Focus $240, HD7S $320, etc.) I don't think it's such a bad deal. Also if I'm not mistaken you don't have to pay all those taxes and fees you see on your AT&T bill.
    Pay As You Go is a pretty good deal.

I have a regular AT&T account for my personal phone and an AT&T Pay As You Go SIM card for my work phone. On my work phone I basically buy 100MB of Data ($15.00) and 200 Texts ($4.99) each month. I rarely make calls from it. My shop texts us in the field, so I basically pay $19.99 a month for my Pay As You Go account.
    11-28-2011 08:15 AM
    I really hate seeing Sprint (Wimax), T-Mobile and AT&T calling their HSDPA+ 4G data when it's not. It only causes confusion. 4G data is LTE. There aren't any WP7 with LTE yet.
    And they have devices called "Atrix 4G" and "Inspire 4G" that aren't LTE compatible. And to add to the confusion, prior to releasing the SG2 that you got, they said it would be LTE compatible. And now, they've quietly gone back on that. Releasing the Skyrocket confirms this.
    palandri likes this.
    11-28-2011 03:09 PM
    AT&T's sytem was down the day that I bought the Focus S, so they weren't able to switch my plan to "4G" at the time. I can personally attest that you will not get data service at all with a "4G" phone if you don't have a "4G" plan. I figured that I would still get 3G service, since the phone supposts it anyway, but that was not the case. Of course, there is no upcharge for 4G on AT&T so it isn't a big deal anyway.
    11-28-2011 06:26 PM
    AT&T's sytem was down the day that I bought the Focus S, so they weren't able to switch my plan to "4G" at the time. I can personally attest that you will not get data service at all with a "4G" phone if you don't have a "4G" plan. I figured that I would still get 3G service, since the phone supposts it anyway, but that was not the case. Of course, there is no upcharge for 4G on AT&T so it isn't a big deal anyway.
    That's interesting.

Do you know if you can still get data service on a 4G plan with a 3G phone?

My wife and I both have the original Focuses, and the Titan will be coming in on Wednesday.

But we've heard sketchy things about reception in general with the Titan. We would like the option of being able to switch back and forth between phones.
    11-28-2011 07:42 PM
    That's interesting.

Do you know if you can still get data service on a 4G plan with a 3G phone?

My wife and I both have the original Focuses, and the Titan will be coming in on Wednesday.

But we've heard sketchy things about reception in general with the Titan. We would like the option of being able to switch back and forth between phones.
    Yes, this does seem to add a wrinkle to "swap your SIM to any phone". I always keep an "old" phone around as a backup.
    11-28-2011 08:04 PM
    And they have devices called "Atrix 4G" and "Inspire 4G" that aren't LTE compatible. And to add to the confusion, prior to releasing the SG2 that you got, they said it would be LTE compatible. And now, they've quietly gone back on that. Releasing the Skyrocket confirms this.
    The SkyRocket is an SG2. So not sure they went back on anything.
    11-28-2011 10:03 PM
    The SkyRocket is an SG2. So not sure they went back on anything.
    I'm sure what he was saying is that the very first SGS2 was supposed to be 4G LTE. The Skyrocket is the 2nd SGS2 device available on AT&T now.
    11-28-2011 10:58 PM
    I'm sure what he was saying is that the very first SGS2 was supposed to be 4G LTE. The Skyrocket is the 2nd SGS2 device available on AT&T now.
    Not sure where he got that info from, especially since LTE wasn't even out when the original SG2 was released.

I don't think AT&T ever publicly said that the LTE SG2 was gonna come before the HSPA+ SG2. Doesn't even sound like a smart business move on AT&T's part if that were to be the case.
    11-29-2011 12:06 AM
    Not sure where he got that info from, especially since LTE wasn't even out when the original SG2 was released.

I don't think AT&T ever publicly said that the LTE SG2 was gonna come before the HSPA+ SG2. Doesn't even sound like a smart business move on AT&T's part if that were to be the case.
    Well, wasn't out on AT&T, though Verizon already had it :P

But yeah, I don't think there was an announced LTE Galaxy SII variant until recently. Maybe rumors, though.
    11-29-2011 12:13 AM
    I recall reading somewhere that, when first announced, AT&T's variant of the original SG2 was thought to be LTE compatible. Of course, it could have been just a rumor. And unfortunately, me mis-remembering isn't out of the realm, either. :(
    11-29-2011 01:24 AM
    I recall reading somewhere that, when first announced, AT&T's variant of the original SG2 was thought to be LTE compatible. Of course, it could have been just a rumor. And unfortunately, me mis-remembering isn't out of the realm, either. :(
    There likely were rumors of a LTE Galaxy SII at the time. Only logical way to account for the long delay from the Asia-->USA release, at the time, IMO. I was already rocking a Galaxy SII (TW version - if it's any different in HW from the "prime version," I dunno) back in June :)
    11-29-2011 01:46 AM
    The original AT&T SG2 has an SoC that is incompatible with LTE. This is why the Skyrocket is using a Qualcomm SoC. I am sure the next Samsung based SoC will support LTE.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
    11-29-2011 06:40 AM
    Anyone in '4G' areas with the Titan have any thoughts on the speed? Had a friend stop by with a Bionic the other day showing me his LTE speeds. He was pulling upwards of 30 Mbit on some of the tests.
    11-29-2011 12:31 PM
    I am thinking at this stage the entire point of LTE is to be able to have good speedtest numbers. I don't do a single thing with my phone that requires 30Mbps. In fact, I can say the same about my home PC.
    11-29-2011 01:35 PM
    Well for media consumption, particularly streaming video, it's better to have and not need than it is to need and not have.
    11-29-2011 02:17 PM
    And streaming HD video is going to be MURDER on the battery...meaning it's for a 2-minute clip as a gimmick.
    11-29-2011 02:21 PM
    Battery technology is the next frontier in consumer electronics (and arguably in the automobile industry).
    11-29-2011 02:33 PM
    On Android devices, not having a 4G plan does affect speeds. I couldn't even get data without it on my SGSII. The APN settings on 4G phones are different than 3G. Maybe this is not the case with WP7 devices though?
    11-29-2011 03:49 PM
    I don't really want my next device to be LTE. First of all, it is a battery hog. Secondly, it makes the devices about a cm thicker than their non-LTE form. And finally, I don't think anyone is really thinking about the health hazards associated with LTE. I mean if you thought cell phones caused cancer before, I have no doubt that having LTE would increase that. I mean just think about your wireless router at home. Imagine putting that next to your body every single day. Wouldn't you be a little concerned about your health? I am pretty sure they even say on those wireless routers to not put your hands next to the antennas. Idk, I may be a worrywart but I just have this bad feeling about LTE (at least right now). I don't think you need really anything faster than HSPA+. 21 Mbps is just barely shy of my internet speed at home. Not to mention that you are talking about loading a website on a mobile phone which in a lot of cases would be less information to load. I honestly think AT&T should have just done the T-Mobile route and just increased the HSPA+ to 42 Mbps if anything.
    11-29-2011 04:01 PM
    Couple thing to add. Yes, you must have a 4G Data plan on the phone for Data to work. I don't know why, but I got a Focus S in store and had (still waiting for) the Titan direct fufilled. A really good friend works at the AT&T store and processed the order for me. He sais I'd need to call or come in have the other line switched to 4G before it would work.

I just tried putting my SIM in my Girlfriends Focus and it worked fine. I verified via Premier that I have a 4G data plan. So it does look like 3G phones can operator with data on a 4G plan but not vice versa.

Also, there IS a different between the iPhone data plan, BB data plan and the rest. Mainly it has to do with Voice Mail configuration (ala VVM). I had two people on my account still with iPhone data plans using 1st gen WP7 phones I bought used to replace the hand-me-down iPhone 3GS no one wanted. They were working fine data wise, but have odd voice mail problems (voice mail service would stop working after a while). I finally pinned it down with an AT&T CSR that actually had a clue, after calling numerous times w/out resolution.
    11-29-2011 06:00 PM
    This ought to confuse the average consumer even more I got this in an email from AT&T. We know what 4GB means, but the average consumer is going to get confused with terms like 3G and 4G flying around, now add 4GB.

11-29-2011 06:29 PM
    Fwiw, I put the sim from my Focus into my Inspire 4G, entered some APN settings someone posted on the at&t online forum, and its all good. To my knowledge, I not on a 4G plan for my Focus.

Not sure what it means, but the 4G indicator "H+" on the Inspire shows that it's available, and that I'm even connected at times. It will show "E" sometimes, also. I don't think there's a separate 3G indicator. At least I haven't noticed any, nor do I see one in the quickstart that came w/the phone.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    11-29-2011 06:36 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD