AT&T 4G vs 3G plan with Titan

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So, we just ordered a Titan and had to upgrade to a 4G plan.

The thing is, it was through my wife's phone number since mine won't be up for renewal until next year. She doesn't really care about upgrading, so I'm free to use the phone.

Thing is... I still have a 3G plan.

Will that cause any problems? The vast majority of my web browsing is done on WiFi anyway.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I was able to choose the 4G unlimited option on mine. You may want to go by the store or call customer service and have them change you to the unlimited 4G plan (I'm assuming you are grandfathered in on 3G unlimited obviously). If your wife doesn't have a smartphone and doesn't need data at all you should be able to remove the data from her line.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
She does use data. Just not as much as I do.

If I upgrade my plan, that doesn't reset my 2yr contract agreement does it? I plan on getting a Nokia next holiday season.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

If I upgrade my plan, that doesn't reset my 2yr contract agreement does it? I plan on getting a Nokia next holiday season.
It won't reset your contract and when I ordered my Titan today, it afforded me the option of the unlimited 4G plan for $30.

I'm wondering how that will effect me if I ever wanna use an iPhone again... Although the iPhone plan offers nothing special and they're the same, they still have it as an "iPhone data" plan in the billing system.

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It won't reset your contract and when I ordered my Titan today, it afforded me the option of the unlimited 4G plan for $30.

I'm wondering how that will effect me if I ever wanna use an iPhone again... Although the iPhone plan offers nothing special and they're the same, they still have it as an "iPhone data" plan in the billing system.

I am wondering the same thing. But happy with my switch.

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
So, we just ordered a Titan and had to upgrade to a 4G plan.

The thing is, it was through my wife's phone number since mine won't be up for renewal until next year. She doesn't really care about upgrading, so I'm free to use the phone.

Thing is... I still have a 3G plan.

Will that cause any problems? The vast majority of my web browsing is done on WiFi anyway.

Are there really separate 3G and 4G data plans that you need to specifically select from? I wasn't told this by the rep when I placed my order for the Titan over the phone. Did anyone else not see this decision presented when making their purchase? I'd like to assume that the rep made the appropriate selection for me, but I will call to verify. I just need to know what I'm asking.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

No, you can change plans. Your contract will only be reset if you choose one when you purchase a new phone.

As long as you are on unlimited data now you shouldn't have any problems switching between the iPhone and equivalent Smartphone data. Actually, I don't know why they don't just combine them since they are identical as far as I know now.

Are there really separate 3G and 4G data plans that you need to specifically select from? I wasn't told this by the rep when I placed my order for the Titan over the phone. Did anyone else not see this decision presented when making their purchase? I'd like to assume that the rep made the appropriate selection for me, but I will call to verify. I just need to know what I'm asking.

Yes. When I purchased my Titan it said I had to select a 4G data plan. It still let me select unlimited data since I'm grandfathered. If I had wanted to add tethering though I would have had to select one of the newer metered plans. It won't hurt to call customer service to confirm they didn't change it but if they didn't ask then chances are the rep just added the unlimited 4G plan.

aimfire72

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I pulled the sim from my iPhone 4s and swap it back and forth with my Android phone and Titan... All works fine, no issues yet.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I really hate seeing Sprint (Wimax), T-Mobile and AT&T calling their HSDPA+ 4G data when it's not. It only causes confusion. 4G data is LTE. There aren't any WP7 with LTE yet.

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I really hate seeing Sprint (Wimax), T-Mobile and AT&T calling their HSDPA+ 4G data when it's not. It only causes confusing. 4G data is LTE. There aren't any WP7 with LTE yet.
Thanks for clearing that up, Palandri. I was confused when reading this thread because I didn't think WP7 had true 4G phones yet.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I really hate seeing Sprint (Wimax), T-Mobile and AT&T calling their HSDPA+ 4G data when it's not. It only causes confusion. 4G data is LTE. There aren't any WP7 with LTE yet.

Yeah. But I got tired of putting "4G" in quotes.

And while LTE is a 4G capable technology, it isn't necessarily 4G speed. It would depend on what speed the network was actually working at. And we know that carriers don't exactly have a history of giving full speeds.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
AT&T doesn't really call their technology 4G... they usually say "brings 4G speeds with enhanced backhaul". Being technical, LTE isn't true 4G according to its original definition. LTE Advanced would be.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
AT&T doesn't really call their technology 4G... they usually say "brings 4G speeds with enhanced backhaul". Being technical, LTE isn't true 4G according to its original definition. LTE Advanced would be.

I've never looked up the exact definition, but if HSDPA is 3G (Third Generation) and HSDPA+ is 3.5G (Third Generation and a half) then it would seem logical that the new LTE technology is 4G (Fourth Generation) I suppose the 4G you are talking about, LTE Advanced, meets certain speed parameters, Maybe we should call it 4.5G :D

I know, we don't set the parameters.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I've never looked up the exact definition, but if HSDPA is 3G (Third Generation) and HSDPA+ is 3.5G (Third Generation and a half) then it would seem logical that the new LTE technology is 4G (Fourth Generation) I suppose the 4G you are talking about, LTE Advanced, meets certain speed parameters, Maybe we should call it 4.5G :D

I know, we don't set the parameters.
Being described as a 3.9G (beyond 3G but pre-4G) technology the first release LTE does not meet the requirements for 4G—also called IMT Advanced as defined by the International Telecommunication Union—such as peak data rates up to 1 Gbit/s.

LTE is supposedly considered 3.9G. Lol.

If anything, all carriers shouldn't be able to consider their technology 4G.

T-mobile started it and everyone decided to follow suit. In all honesty, it doesn't bother me because I know better.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I will be new to att when my Titan arrives. Since I had no prior service, I had no choice presented. Titan is sold as a '4G' phone with the 4G data plan. No choices offered and none to make other than tier and price for 4G. Hope this helps!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

They are separated in the billing system, but are essentially the same. In all honesty, I'm not sure if having the 4G plan affords a user better down/up speeds. I didn't use the Atrix or Inspire long enough to find out.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
No, you can change plans. Your contract will only be reset if you choose one when you purchase a new phone.

As long as you are on unlimited data now you shouldn't have any problems switching between the iPhone and equivalent Smartphone data. Actually, I don't know why they don't just combine them since they are identical as far as I know now.

Yes. When I purchased my Titan it said I had to select a 4G data plan. It still let me select unlimited data since I'm grandfathered. If I had wanted to add tethering though I would have had to select one of the newer metered plans. It won't hurt to call customer service to confirm they didn't change it but if they didn't ask then chances are the rep just added the unlimited 4G plan.

I wish I had known that when I got on line Saturday to buy a titan or focus s during the one cent sale when it said I had to select a new data plan I never looked farther to see if I could get a "new" unlimited data plan. Darn!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I wish I had known that when I got on line Saturday to buy a titan or focus s during the one cent sale when it said I had to select a new data plan I never looked farther to see if I could get a "new" unlimited data plan. Darn!
Yeah... if my orders would have gone through the first two times I tried, I wouldn't have gotten it.

I happen to check out other plans when trying to purchase it for the 3rd, 4th, 5th times (before calling CS to order it).

noaim

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the data plan is just how it shows up in the system I have used iPhones on blackberry data plans and android phones on iPhone data plans so I don't think it really matters what does matter is if you have visual voicemail it has to be provisioned properly for the phone

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the data plan is just how it shows up in the system I have used iPhones on blackberry data plans and android phones on iPhone data plans so I don't think it really matters what does matter is if you have visual voicemail it has to be provisioned properly for the phone

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
In the case of the BlackBerry, it is a different plan. Unlike overseas, the U.S. (and N/A) BlackBerry devices include carrier data for streaming. If you tried using a BlackBerry for push services on the iPhone/Smartphone data plans, it wouldn't work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre