• Screen Is Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Preferred Amoled

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Just a wee post to see what everyone thinks of their Titans so far, seeing yours truly is hopefully getting one soon. :D

Should I or shouldn't I bother ?

The poll is mainly for what you think of the screen, as clearly the main attraction to the Titan is its screen.

Please feel free to mention any dreaded pixelation that you can see (or not see).

Just a bit of fun really, you don't need to be too serious. I have read
through everyone's thoughts in their posts and can find very little
negative feedback so far, which is encouraging.

Thanks for taking the time to vote. :)

Last edited:

littlesteelo16

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Just a wee post to see what everyone thinks of their Titans so far, seeing yours truly is hopefully getting one soon. :D

Should I or shouldn't I bother ?

Just a bit of fun really, you don't need to be too serious. I have read
through everyone's thoughts in their posts and can find very little
negative feedback so far which is encouraging. :)

Had mine for about two hours now, just updating to the latest update. I have to say, this is the best phone I have ever had. Coming from an iPhone 4, it really feels like something new. Its amazing how small a 3.5'' screen feels now. Regarding the screen, it looks stunning. Pixel density is fine, as you have to hold the phone further away, which means to me, it looks really crisp. And that is coming from someone who had a retina display. The colours are really bright as well.

Hardware wise, it feels really solid, no issues. I have average hands, and can type one handed, but have trouble reaching the back button in the bottom left corner. I should probably switch to using my left hand to hold it :) Haven't tested the camera yet though. In my opinion, its a fantastic phone, go for it.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for a day. My other phone is a Focus.

The screen is pretty good. It's just so... big. lol

I put "okay" because of screen resolution. Not because I notice any pixelation. It looks fine in that regard. No, it's because the tiles just look so darn big now. I do know that they had to comply with WP7 specs. But I'd like to see an update to the OS that lets you adjust tile size. The tiles are just so... big. I feel like space is wasted.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
LOVE the screen. Size, clarity, color... it is simply amazing. I have not done side-by-side comparisons with anything other than my old phone (had a Trophy, and as the prior poster said, other phones look tiny by comparison). I think the side-by-sides are a bit of self-inflicted torture... yet I certainly do side-by-sides for other products that matter to me. We each have our own soft spots :-D

aimfire72

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The screen and size is awesome, no complaints there! I really like how white the whites are. Definitely one of the best phones I've ever owned! :)

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I love the screen on the Titan. I originally purchased the Focus S but returned it because I just didn't like how everything with a white background had a blue tint. The whites on the Titan are perfect. Pixel density is fine. I haven't noticed any pixelation anywhere. I came from the iPhone 4 and will never go back. This is a fantastic phone!

flash_focus

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I could ever go back to another small screen phone, looked at my buddy's iPhone and was like that's to small, pixels on the screen are perfect and not too much lag if moving really fast on the screen

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
My favorite thing to do with my Titan is walk up to one of my friends that are carrying a Galaxy S2 or an EVO 3D or any of the high end phones and say "That sure is a cute little phone" ;)

Budroid

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
"...cute little phone" LOL! I'll have to remember that. I had the Focus S from 11/6 through Black Saturday 11/26. I spent quite a bit of time at ATT comparing the Focus S and the Titan. In my opinion both are great phones but the Titan is just awesome. For me, the only thing better about the Focus S screen was the black. The Titan is as good or better on brightness and is way better on whites and colors. I haven't noticed any pixilation and the camera is impressive. The Titan also has a more solid build and I like the buttons better. Only downside for me is the cell signal seems a little weaker on the Titan.

toshdellapenna

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I was dead set on getting the Focus S as I'm spoiled by the samoled screen on my Focus. But the week before it's release I started doing some homework and decided to go with the Titan and boy am I glad I did.

Sent from my Htc Titan using Board Express

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yup, returned my Focus S after a few issues (I listed them, along with the device strong points, in the official Sammy Focus S page, but I dunno if they passed my review, lol).

Considering getting the Titan, or just waiting it out on my out of contract Focus (got this sucker to replace a Zune, ended up replacing my moto atrix, too).

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the original focus for close to a year, the focus s for three weeks, and i've had the titan for a week now. I assume this thread is just asking for screen comparison, so I'll give it.
These are only my opinions!
The titan's only advantage is size, and even then that has it's drawbacks. There are areas when you can see pixelation. Your avatar in the games hub, the circle icons at the bottom of many apps, are two examples. The size is a benefit for typing. Also, when you are scrolling, you can notice some degradation. It's not visible in images, but with text it is definitely there. The blacks are not close to the focus s. There is something almost magical about the way that the screen blends with the bezel, and images and text seems to float with the focus s. On the titan blacks are almost grey.
The whites on the focus s definetely have a blue tinge to them, and look much better on the titan. However, for me, this is a non issue as I always use the black theme, so I am using black backgrounds about 90% of the time, and white 10%.
I personally think that the focus s has a much better screen than the titan.
Again, these are just my opinions, and there is more to a device than just the screen.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the original focus for close to a year, the focus s for three weeks, and i've had the titan for a week now. I assume this thread is just asking for screen comparison, so I'll give it.
These are only my opinions!
The titan's only advantage is size, and even then that has it's drawbacks. There are areas when you can see pixelation. Your avatar in the games hub, the circle icons at the bottom of many apps, are two examples. The size is a benefit for typing. Also, when you are scrolling, you can notice some degradation. It's not visible in images, but with text it is definitely there. The blacks are not close to the focus s. There is something almost magical about the way that the screen blends with the bezel, and images and text seems to float with the focus s. On the titan blacks are almost grey.
The whites on the focus s definetely have a blue tinge to them, and look much better on the titan. However, for me, this is a non issue as I always use the black theme, so I am using black backgrounds about 90% of the time, and white 10%.
I personally think that the focus s has a much better screen than the titan.
Again, these are just my opinions, and there is more to a device than just the screen.
Yeah,, I agree with jmerrey, at least on my Titan, anyway. I've had mine since yesterday evening and I immediately noticed how much richer the display is on both the Focus & and the Focus S as compared to the Titan. I think the AMOLED screens are better than the SLCD - again, at least on my Titan. Today, I took my Titan over to the AT&T store to compare it to the Focus S and while I like the design of the Titan MUCH better, the screen on the Focus S was obviously nicer. The whites were whiter, colors very rich - almost oversaturated, however, and the blacks were VERY black, just like on my Focus v1.4. I actually think my old Focus screen looks better than the Titan's. Had it not been for the bump in CPU spec on the Titan, and the poor positioning of the buttons as well as the cheap build quality of the Focus family of devices, I'd still be using my v1.4 Focus. I would never pass up a WP7 phone with an 8MP camera for $0.01 so I am very happy with my Titan!

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I too had a Focus S and it was just way too cheap feeling and there were too many performance bugs that turned me off to it in the end. While the screen settings on the Focus S needed to be changed to fix auto dimming and the like, I find the Titan just looks and feels better. The screen to me is just as good as the Super AMOLED+ that was on the Focus S. Certain colors do look better on the Focus S screen, but in the end it wasn't enough to keep me hooked to the Focus S.

Not only that, but I feel like the phone won't snap in my pocket due to build quality.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
...The screen to me is just as good as the Super AMOLED+ that was on the Focus S. Certain colors do look better on the Focus S screen, but in the end it wasn't enough to keep me hooked to the Focus S.

...Not only that, but I feel like the phone won't snap in my pocket due to build quality.

Dude, you hit the nail on the head here. People like us know the difference but most people in our family, friends and colleagues won't, most likely. I'm very happy with the Titan and I'll go as far as to say that I have not been this satisfied with a phone purchase in at least 5 years. The screen quality differences that we're talking about are like trying to decide which fire engine is MORE red. The only way to tell is when they are next to each other. For it's like this - when I load up pictures of my family or nature, or whatever, I can hardly see the blue hue. I know it's there but no one porbably will. The Titan's screen quality is still awesome and like you said (paraphrasing, of course) it is not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure when I get mine too I'll notice the difference from my Super Amoled Omnia 7. I'm not as concerned now at the less black blacks, as it seems most of you are saying it's not too bad.

I can live with a little less saturation too, I'm sure the bigger size more than makes up for these shortfalls.

Keep posting your opinions, loving reading them and thanks for your contributions everyone. :)

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Amazing! I never noticed how.... black were my Focus' blacks until I just compared to my HTC Titan (AT&T rep remembered me from yesterday [primary reasons for return listed are the auto intensity, WiFi 5sec connect delay, Audio pop/hiss, charging lag 50% chance], waived the 35usd restocking fee and I got my Titan today :)).

Loving it! Now my family is a 100% HTC Family again :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss