02-15-2012 12:35 PM
217 12345 ...
tools
    That's what I'm wondering too. These speeds across the board really bother me.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express
    12-03-2011 12:27 AM
    There's now a post on the Main page.

http://www.windowscentral.com/att-di...windows-phones
    12-03-2011 12:29 AM
    iPhone speedtest
    (selecting wifi when asked how the mobile device is connected)

I got 4438 kbps on 4G with 4 bars in an area known to not be so good (my house).

At work we have AT&T towers right next to the building so I will test there on Monday.

I performed the tests with the phones WiFi turned off on a Samsung Focus S.
    12-03-2011 01:09 AM
    Just wanted to add that using the app "BandWidth" like shown in the article I got similar results to what they got. That 9-13mb I was talking about was from a mobile speed test website while doing a 5mb download.

I guess as long as you use the same platform to test each different device you get more control.

All I know is everything I do is a lot faster than on my HTC Arrive... which is still a solid WP7 phone.
    12-03-2011 01:55 AM
    I am in an HSPA+ area. My "blazingly" fast speeds are:

1.02 Mbps down
    1.09 Mbps up

Why is AT&T doing this to us? It is not the phone because other phones are much faster. It's not the network.

(I have reached out to AT&T and will let everyone know what they say)
    Last edited by aptmx45; 12-03-2011 at 07:29 AM.
    12-03-2011 07:18 AM
    My tests using the same tools get the same poor results. I am in Plano Tx not far from ATT headquarters. My wife's new iPhone 4s screams though. Not too happy
    Neil
    12-03-2011 09:41 AM
    I wonder if the Bandwidth App is accurate.
    12-03-2011 10:43 AM
    I live in the north metro atlanta area and I got:

5.49Mbps Down
    0.59Mbps up
    828 ms ping

My titan always says 4g with full bars.
    12-03-2011 11:17 AM
    I wonder if the Bandwidth App is accurate.
    It's pretty accurate, of course it is my app so i will say that.

If you are unsure, turn on wifi sharing with just your cellular connection active and test with another device.

I just tested and got these results on my HD7

Shared connection 3g - 2 bars via speedtest.net:
    0.60 down and 0.09 up
    0.73 down and 0.13 up

Non shared direct connection 3g - 2 bars via BandWidth:
    1.25 down 0.53 up
    0.98 down 0.60 up

Considering the loss you get with sharing your connection, i'd say its pretty accurate ;)

More importantly for the purpose of this thread, as long as you use 1 source as your base for testing, you will see correct results. So if all of the tests are done with the website speedtest then you will get accurate data in which to test your theory of 4g limitations on, same can be said if all tests are done with wifi sharing, or all with BandWidth. As long as your are consistent with your method of testing. You will get results.
    12-03-2011 11:36 AM
    It's pretty accurate, of course it is my app so i will say that.

If you are unsure, turn on wifi sharing with just your cellular connection active and test with another device.

I just tested and got these results on my HD7

Shared connection 3g - 2 bars via speedtest.net:
    0.60 down and 0.09 up
    0.73 down and 0.13 up

Non shared direct connection 3g - 2 bars via BandWidth:
    1.25 down 0.53 up
    0.98 down 0.60 up

Considering the loss you get with sharing your connection, i'd say its pretty accurate ;)

More importantly for the purpose of this thread, as long as you use 1 source as your base for testing, you will see correct results. So if all of the tests are done with the website speedtest then you will get accurate data in which to test your theory of 4g limitations on, same can be said if all tests are done with wifi sharing, or all with BandWidth. As long as your are consistent with your method of testing. You will get results.
    well then, can you make an Android App with your same algorith? :p Or iOS...

Im more concerned with other platforms. Sadly, I dont know anyone else with a WP. But I know my buddy with an iPhone 4 gets better results than I do, but he uses their Speedtest.net App obviously. I could go into an ATT store and download your App to a bunch of other phones, but thats about the lnly way I could attempt to verify this.
    12-03-2011 11:56 AM
    well then, can you make an Android App with your same algorith? :p Or iOS...

Im more concerned with other platforms. Sadly, I dont know anyone else with a WP. But I know my buddy with an iPhone 4 gets better results than I do, but he uses their Speedtest.net App obviously. I could go into an ATT store and download your App to a bunch of other phones, but thats about the lnly way I could attempt to verify this.
    Well, for other platforms you could tether your connection and test that way along side of windows phone tether.

Generally speaking if an at&t android 4g device tethers off of 4g connection much faster than the titans 4g tether then you have proof that something isn't right.
    12-03-2011 12:00 PM
    thats a good point. I just dont have internet sharing on my plan at the moment.
    12-03-2011 12:06 PM
    I am testing my Titan, my wife's iPhone 4S, and my daughter's iPhone 3GS side by side, and I am getting very similar results on all three. For instance, my Titan shows 2.64 down/0.73 up, 4S shows 2.40 down 0.71 up, and 3GS shows 2.54 down/0.26 up, all within 3 minutes of each other. Given my location, I don't think I can do much better regardless of which phone I am using.
    12-03-2011 12:17 PM
    I'm definitely concerned about this - I was doing some in-store tests with the 4g speeds on the Focus S and was amazed by the speeds. I didn't think to try the Titan (since no stores had any on display) before purchasing... But my network speeds and connectivity have been completely underwhelming since I purchased the phone last week...

In Boston my speeds are (using Bandwidth App):
    1.21 Mbps down/0.63 Mbps Up
    4.22 Mbps down/0.29 Mbps Up
    4.01 Mbps down/0.44 Mbps Up

In NYC, my speeds are:
    3.21 Mbps down/0.96 Mbps Up
    3.16 Mbps down/1.20 Mbps Up

I got similar speeds (and many times faster) on my original Focus... What was the point of upgrading my phone to 4G if the speeds are the same or worse!? Considering returning the phone and just waiting for Nokia to come out with a phone...
    12-03-2011 01:02 PM
    I'm definitely concerned about this - I was doing some in-store tests with the 4g speeds on the Focus S and was amazed by the speeds. I didn't think to try the Titan (since no stores had any on display) before purchasing... But my network speeds and connectivity have been completely underwhelming since I purchased the phone last week...

In Boston my speeds are (using Bandwidth App):
    1.21 Mbps down/0.63 Mbps Up
    4.22 Mbps down/0.29 Mbps Up
    4.01 Mbps down/0.44 Mbps Up

In NYC, my speeds are:
    3.21 Mbps down/0.96 Mbps Up
    3.16 Mbps down/1.20 Mbps Up

I got similar speeds (and many times faster) on my original Focus... What was the point of upgrading my phone to 4G if the speeds are the same or worse!? Considering returning the phone and just waiting for Nokia to come out with a phone...
    If I didn't get it for free and I felt that way, I'd probably return it too.

For me though, I didn't just buy the device for "Faux-G". The screen, the camera and the increased specs are the reasons I did.
    12-03-2011 02:34 PM
    I am in San Francisco, where 4G is available, and my HTC Titan shows that it has 4 bars of 4G.

Using the bandwith app, I got the following results:

4G 4 bars 4.25 dl run 2 - 2.04 dl
    0.48 ul run 2 - 0.59 ul

I then used another app, called free speed test:

4g 4 bars - 1.54 dl
    1.07 ul

Looks like I am averaging between 1.54 - 4.25 MBPS not as fast as ATT advertises they network to be.
    12-03-2011 02:54 PM
    Weird, I ran the HTC App and it removed the APN settings I set manually.
    Any chance this app could change settings and increase performance?
    12-03-2011 03:59 PM
    Does the Focus S support category 14? Do any WP7 phones? Why not?
    12-03-2011 04:28 PM
    I went out today and ran BandWidth from a number of locations. I have a Titan and I'm in an area confirmed to be "4g" (Chicago suburbs). Average down was 1.5 Mbps, high was 3 and low was under 1, with 2 to 4 bars.

I went to my local AT&T store (purchased the phone from AT&T online). They swapped my Sim card and verified that my data plan was correct, but nothing helped. They just got their display Titan in, so we installed BandWidth and it showed about 1.5 down. They told me that they've seen non 4g phones in their store have much better speeds. They said that either they could call tech support or they could just give me the number. I took it.

Tech support couldn't help me. I tried to explain that I think there's an overarching problem (not just my phone) but apparently there are some network issues in Illinois and they wanted me to wait until those are resolved. Unfortunately there is no easy way to track this issue; need to call tech support (would be nice it if could be tracked via the web).

Titan owners: we need to flood tech support with reports of this issue and make AT&T recognize this as an issue. The only other option I've been offered is to return the phone. I would prefer that they fix the problem that I think we all think exists. The tech support number is 800.331.0500. If you call, be sure to mention that people in a number of cities are experiencing this issue. I was close to being able to escalate this issue with tech support (i.e. speaking to a manager) but then they mentioned the network issues in Illinois.

I'm sure if we can get this issue escalated to the right level at AT&T they will want to resolve it (versus telling us all we can return our phons if we're not happy with the phone).
    12-03-2011 04:34 PM
    Make sure to rate the network poorly in the survey. I would have rated mine lower if I had a chance to do it again. Maybe they'll take notice that way.
    12-03-2011 04:51 PM
    Make sure to rate the network poorly in the survey. I would have rated mine lower if I had a chance to do it again. Maybe they'll take notice that way.
    What survey is this?
    12-03-2011 05:03 PM
    Sorry to butt in guys, but I'm not sure what kinds of speeds I'm supposed to be getting on my Focus S.

I live in Los Angeles. I ran the Bandwidth app and got:

12-03-2011 05:17 PM
    Billone, I agree there are too many people experiencing the same problem. Getting a replacement phone wouldn't do anything. Someone needs to come out and say if it's a problem with the hardware inside or if ATT has artificially capped WP7 owners.
    12-03-2011 05:35 PM
    EDIT
    ...Woops. Used Wifi, lets re-attempt.
    Last edited by NE10010; 12-03-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    12-03-2011 05:57 PM
    Click to view quoted image

Just to gloat/provide a counter point for this thread...

I used BandWidth, and I'm in NY with 5 bars of service...

17.62 Mbps down, 2.24 up

Wow, I'm not being throttled at all.
    Umm, that says Wifi...?
    gpsi likes this.
    12-03-2011 06:07 PM
217 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD