02-15-2012 12:35 PM
217 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Please help tweet or retweet to @AttCustomerCare!!

Thank you!
    12-06-2011 09:18 PM

Thank you!
    Good Idea. Retweeted.
    12-06-2011 09:20 PM
    I thought iPhone did not yet produce a 4G device. All their devices, on all carriers, are maximum 3G. That was one of the huge letdowns with the latest device-that-was-not-iPhone-5-after-all..
    12-06-2011 09:22 PM
    The iPhone 4S has HSPA+ 14.4 just like the Titan. AT&T calls that 4G, though Apple does not.

I thought iPhone did not yet produce a 4G device. All their devices, on all carriers, are maximum 3G. That was one of the huge letdowns with the latest device-that-was-not-iPhone-5-after-all..
    12-06-2011 09:44 PM

Thank you!
    Done.
    12-06-2011 10:11 PM
    Hi guys...
    Been following the thread, seeing if there are any developments. I love my Titan...everything about the phone from the super sleek hardware to the well thought out OS is stunning. But I've been upset with the data speeds, so I reached out to Ben Rudolph from the WP team on twitter. He said he will get in touch with AT&T and HTC regarding our issues. Check out his twitter to see our interaction, https://twitter.com/BenThePCGuy. My twitter handle is YerpItzGpsi : ).

Wooh!
    12-06-2011 11:50 PM
    Hi guys...
    Been following the thread, seeing if there are any developments. I love my Titan...everything about the phone from the super sleek hardware to the well thought out OS is stunning. But I've been upset with the data speeds, so I reached out to Ben Rudolph from the WP team on twitter. He said he will get in touch with AT&T and HTC regarding our issues. Check out his twitter to see our interaction, https://twitter.com/BenThePCGuy. My twitter handle is YerpItzGpsi : ).

Wooh!
    Awesome. Hope he finds out something for all of us suffering slow data speeds.
    12-07-2011 09:09 AM
    [Using BandWidth] I'm in Fort Worth, which is supposed 4G country.

2 bars, "4G" stated: 2.34Mb down, .58 up
    Full bars, "4G" stated: 2.62Mb down, .89 up
    Wifi on 1.5Mb DSL: 1.23Mb down, .31Mb up
    12-07-2011 09:20 AM

Thank you!
    i dont even own a titan and i retweeted.
    12-07-2011 09:45 AM
    [Using BandWidth] I'm in Fort Worth, which is supposed 4G country.

2 bars, "4G" stated: 2.34Mb down, .58 up
    Full bars, "4G" stated: 2.62Mb down, .89 up
    Wifi on 1.5Mb DSL: 1.23Mb down, .31Mb up

i dont believe that is 4g.
    12-07-2011 09:45 AM

Thank you!
    I just retweeted and I'm hours from getting my TITAN. Any little bit helps, for sure!! Great idea.
    12-07-2011 09:48 AM
    I just retweeted. Looks like only 12 others have retweeted so far. :-(

With that said. I strangely lost all connection today for some reason. My phone was in Emergency Mode. I ended up switching it to airplane mode and then back again. In a few seconds that restored my connection.

Then I did a Bandwidth test and got a little over 4 Mbps. That's about twice as fast as before. lol. I wonder if AT&T did anything.

It's still REALLY SLOW for hspa+ though.
    12-07-2011 11:46 AM
    My Titan gets horrible Wi-Fi speeds for some reason. If I hook it up via USB to my Laptop (which is connected via Wi-Fi to same network), I can get 16Mb. However, connected to Wi-Fi directly, I'm lucky to get 3-4Mb. My girlfriend's Focus S on same Wi-Fi is getting 10-12Mb. However, the upload speeds on both phones are consistently 4Mb.

The Cellular Connection speeds are almost identical on both phones, around 4Mpb most of the time. So I'm actually getting BETTER performance from AT&T than my Wi-Fi.

Titan:
    Zune: 16Mbps
    AT&T: 4Mbps
    Wi-Fi: 3Mbps

Focus S:
    AT&T: 4Mbps
    Wi-Fi: 10Mbps
    12-07-2011 12:07 PM
    I'm not getting the WiFi issues some of you are having. On my home WiFi connection I consistently get around 15 Mbps.
    12-07-2011 12:30 PM
    I bet it depends on router differences (channel, encryption choice, etc.). I use WPA2-PSK which may very well slow it down. My up and down is about the same, which is not normal (down is lower than it should be). But I am FAR more worried about the 4G.
    12-07-2011 12:32 PM
    First post! I'm a chronic lurker and never post til now.
    I'm so aggravated by the titan data speed.
    Using bandwidth app I get 1.34 down, .43 up.
    4 bars, 4g in NYC.
    Wtf?
    I have a galaxy tab 7" 3g on sprint, it is faster.
    I retweeted btw.
    12-07-2011 01:04 PM
    I can't even get a usable data signal on my Titan in downtown Los Angeles, although other folks in my office with an iPhone get service with no problem. It's rare that I can get a simple mobile web page to load. It usually times out. Same with speed tests. Signal strength occassionally spikes and I can download something, but it usually lasts no more than a few seconds. 99.9% of the time the signal strength hovers around 1 bar, but no data is being transmitted.

I left Sprint because their 3G was bad, but it's a helluva lot better than what I've experienced with AT&T's "4G". And at least on Sprint I could turn on my 4G antenna and get 5Mpbs+, in the same office I'm not getting a data signal at all on my Titan.

I can make phone calls fine, but the data isn't working. Incredibly frustrating.

If I walk outside and stand next to the street (most unobstructed area), I can get 3Mbps-4Mbps. But if I walk behind a plate of glass, say at a sidewalk cafe, the signal becomes completely unusable. Rather ridiculous.

AT&T says they are working on it, but I'm sure that's a canned answer. It just makes no sense that an iPhone can rock it, but my Titan gets nothing. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Either something is wrong with the phone or with AT&T's network.

EDIT: I thought my coworker, with her AT&T iPhone, was getting a data signal, but she can't connect either. This is in downtown Los Angeles. How can you have such a large deadspot in one of the largest metro areas in the country?
    Last edited by jmagwp; 12-07-2011 at 05:29 PM.
    12-07-2011 01:31 PM
    I emailed AT&T and here's the reply:

"Thank you for contacting AT&T about your wireless service. My name is Joe and I am more than happy to assist you today with your inquiry regarding your data plan.

After reviewing your account I can confirm that you are set up on the correct 4G data plan. You are able to connect to our 4G HSPA+ network where the speeds range from 2-6Mbps, which is right around the speeds you are seeing on your device."
    12-07-2011 03:45 PM
    I emailed AT&T and here's the reply:

"Thank you for contacting AT&T about your wireless service. My name is Joe and I am more than happy to assist you today with your inquiry regarding your data plan.

After reviewing your account I can confirm that you are set up on the correct 4G data plan. You are able to connect to our 4G HSPA+ network where the speeds range from 2-6Mbps, which is right around the speeds you are seeing on your device."

Those are more like 3G speeds. HSPA+ should be 7 to 8 Mbps. 3G should be able to hit 2 Mbps

Addendum: I just looked up AT&T definition of 3G and it's between 600 Kbps to 1.4 Mbps download, So I guess if you hit 2 Mbps it's considered 4G to AT&T
    Last edited by palandri; 12-07-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    12-07-2011 04:23 PM
    Those are more like 3G speeds. HSPA+ should be 7 to 8 Mbps. 3G should be able to hit 2 Mbps

Addendum: I just looked up AT&T definition of 3G and it's between 600 Kbps to 1.4 Mbps download, So I guess if you hit 2 Mbps it's considered 4G to AT&T
    It sucks that carriers can get away with calling even the slightest speed increase "4G."
    palandri likes this.
    12-07-2011 06:20 PM

What... the... ****...

That must have changed somewhat recently. I remember when AT&T wasn't calling hspa+ "4G." But I guess someone in management decided that they had to since T-Mobile was doing it.

So what are they going to call LTE? And will they say LTE is 6-8 Mbps?
    12-07-2011 06:32 PM
    HSPA+ was supposed to be 6Mbps actual. They are screwing us. Granted, that is with enhanced backhaul, but if we dont have the backhaul, they shouldnt call it 4G and just say its really 3G.
    12-07-2011 07:20 PM
    Sorry I don't want to read the whole thread, but what WP app are you guys using to test the 4G speeds?
    12-07-2011 08:04 PM
    "Bandwidth"
    12-07-2011 08:14 PM
    It sucks that carriers can get away with calling even the slightest speed increase "4G."
    It's like my cable company advertises their broadband internet service as unlimited data, but when you read the small print it says you are allowed up to 200GB a month, something like that. I think it falls under the legal term of allowable "puffery", which is basically how much they are allowed to stretch the truth: Puffery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    12-07-2011 10:48 PM
217 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD