AT&T limiting network speed on their Titan?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay was currious. Mine pegs the bandwidth app but quickly drops back to 6 then stabilizes around 2-3 on wifi with only this page running on my computer.

"4G" is a much worse story. I am in cincinnati and in the HSPA+ coverage. Their map sucks so not sure how much is actually covered, but I am less than 10 miles from the center of downtown. I get a very quick ping (same as wifi) of 74ms-85ms. Then it creeps up from .18 to around .7. Then at around halfway through it magically zips to 10mbs then falls back down slowly till its back to under 1. Something is going on, and its not ATT. My brothers 4S gets 4-5 in the same area. My wifi can not even do that.

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Using the BandWidth app...
Data (1-3 bars): Down = .54 to 1.31 Mbps, Up = .29 to 1.07 Mbps
Wifi: Down = 13 to 20 Mbps, Up = 1.8 to 3.9 Mbps

Just got the Titan today. Really like it, but the data connection speed concerns me, and it seems I'm not alone. I'm in the far western Chicago suburbs, not sure if 4g is supposed to be available here.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Results from Bandwidth app:

WiFi
Download - 9.16 Mbps
Upload - 2.87 Mbps

"4G" (3 bars)
Download - 1.91 Mbps
Upload - .65 Mbps

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Using the BandWidth app...
Data (1-3 bars): Down = .54 to 1.31 Mbps, Up = .29 to 1.07 Mbps
Wifi: Down = 13 to 20 Mbps, Up = 1.8 to 3.9 Mbps

Just got the Titan today. Really like it, but the data connection speed concerns me, and it seems I'm not alone. I'm in the far western Chicago suburbs, not sure if 4g is supposed to be available here.

I am in the far western Chicago suburbs also. You should have better bandwidth than that.

AT&T 4G LTE - Get 4G Speed with AT&T 4G LTE & 4G HSPA+

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
iPhone speedtest
(selecting wifi when asked how the mobile device is connected)

I got 4438 kbps on 4G with 4 bars in an area known to not be so good (my house).

At work we have AT&T towers right next to the building so I will test there on Monday.

I performed the tests with the phones WiFi turned off on a Samsung Focus S.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to add that using the app "BandWidth" like shown in the article I got similar results to what they got. That 9-13mb I was talking about was from a mobile speed test website while doing a 5mb download.

I guess as long as you use the same platform to test each different device you get more control.

All I know is everything I do is a lot faster than on my HTC Arrive... which is still a solid WP7 phone.

aptmx45

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I am in an HSPA+ area. My "blazingly" fast speeds are:

1.02 Mbps down
1.09 Mbps up

Why is AT&T doing this to us? It is not the phone because other phones are much faster. It's not the network.

(I have reached out to AT&T and will let everyone know what they say)

Last edited:

neilgould

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
My tests using the same tools get the same poor results. I am in Plano Tx not far from ATT headquarters. My wife's new iPhone 4s screams though. Not too happy
Neil

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the Bandwidth App is accurate.

It's pretty accurate, of course it is my app so i will say that.

If you are unsure, turn on wifi sharing with just your cellular connection active and test with another device.

I just tested and got these results on my HD7

Shared connection 3g - 2 bars via speedtest.net:
0.60 down and 0.09 up
0.73 down and 0.13 up

Non shared direct connection 3g - 2 bars via BandWidth:
1.25 down 0.53 up
0.98 down 0.60 up

Considering the loss you get with sharing your connection, i'd say its pretty accurate ;)

More importantly for the purpose of this thread, as long as you use 1 source as your base for testing, you will see correct results. So if all of the tests are done with the website speedtest then you will get accurate data in which to test your theory of 4g limitations on, same can be said if all tests are done with wifi sharing, or all with BandWidth. As long as your are consistent with your method of testing. You will get results.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty accurate, of course it is my app so i will say that.

If you are unsure, turn on wifi sharing with just your cellular connection active and test with another device.

I just tested and got these results on my HD7

Shared connection 3g - 2 bars via speedtest.net:
0.60 down and 0.09 up
0.73 down and 0.13 up

Non shared direct connection 3g - 2 bars via BandWidth:
1.25 down 0.53 up
0.98 down 0.60 up

Considering the loss you get with sharing your connection, i'd say its pretty accurate ;)

More importantly for the purpose of this thread, as long as you use 1 source as your base for testing, you will see correct results. So if all of the tests are done with the website speedtest then you will get accurate data in which to test your theory of 4g limitations on, same can be said if all tests are done with wifi sharing, or all with BandWidth. As long as your are consistent with your method of testing. You will get results.

well then, can you make an Android App with your same algorith? :p Or iOS...

Im more concerned with other platforms. Sadly, I dont know anyone else with a WP. But I know my buddy with an iPhone 4 gets better results than I do, but he uses their Speedtest.net App obviously. I could go into an ATT store and download your App to a bunch of other phones, but thats about the lnly way I could attempt to verify this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo