AT&T limiting network speed on their Titan?

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
well then, can you make an Android App with your same algorith? :p Or iOS...

Im more concerned with other platforms. Sadly, I dont know anyone else with a WP. But I know my buddy with an iPhone 4 gets better results than I do, but he uses their Speedtest.net App obviously. I could go into an ATT store and download your App to a bunch of other phones, but thats about the lnly way I could attempt to verify this.
Well, for other platforms you could tether your connection and test that way along side of windows phone tether.

Generally speaking if an at&t android 4g device tethers off of 4g connection much faster than the titans 4g tether then you have proof that something isn't right.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I am testing my Titan, my wife's iPhone 4S, and my daughter's iPhone 3GS side by side, and I am getting very similar results on all three. For instance, my Titan shows 2.64 down/0.73 up, 4S shows 2.40 down 0.71 up, and 3GS shows 2.54 down/0.26 up, all within 3 minutes of each other. Given my location, I don't think I can do much better regardless of which phone I am using.

tognam

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
My Speeds

I'm definitely concerned about this - I was doing some in-store tests with the 4g speeds on the Focus S and was amazed by the speeds. I didn't think to try the Titan (since no stores had any on display) before purchasing... But my network speeds and connectivity have been completely underwhelming since I purchased the phone last week...

In Boston my speeds are (using Bandwidth App):
1.21 Mbps down/0.63 Mbps Up
4.22 Mbps down/0.29 Mbps Up
4.01 Mbps down/0.44 Mbps Up

In NYC, my speeds are:
3.21 Mbps down/0.96 Mbps Up
3.16 Mbps down/1.20 Mbps Up

I got similar speeds (and many times faster) on my original Focus... What was the point of upgrading my phone to 4G if the speeds are the same or worse!? Considering returning the phone and just waiting for Nokia to come out with a phone...

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely concerned about this - I was doing some in-store tests with the 4g speeds on the Focus S and was amazed by the speeds. I didn't think to try the Titan (since no stores had any on display) before purchasing... But my network speeds and connectivity have been completely underwhelming since I purchased the phone last week...

In Boston my speeds are (using Bandwidth App):
1.21 Mbps down/0.63 Mbps Up
4.22 Mbps down/0.29 Mbps Up
4.01 Mbps down/0.44 Mbps Up

In NYC, my speeds are:
3.21 Mbps down/0.96 Mbps Up
3.16 Mbps down/1.20 Mbps Up

I got similar speeds (and many times faster) on my original Focus... What was the point of upgrading my phone to 4G if the speeds are the same or worse!? Considering returning the phone and just waiting for Nokia to come out with a phone...
If I didn't get it for free and I felt that way, I'd probably return it too.

For me though, I didn't just buy the device for "Faux-G". The screen, the camera and the increased specs are the reasons I did.

usnavydoc

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I am in San Francisco, where 4G is available, and my HTC Titan shows that it has 4 bars of 4G.

Using the bandwith app, I got the following results:

4G 4 bars 4.25 dl run 2 - 2.04 dl
0.48 ul run 2 - 0.59 ul

I then used another app, called free speed test:

4g 4 bars - 1.54 dl
1.07 ul

Looks like I am averaging between 1.54 - 4.25 MBPS not as fast as ATT advertises they network to be.

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I went out today and ran BandWidth from a number of locations. I have a Titan and I'm in an area confirmed to be "4g" (Chicago suburbs). Average down was 1.5 Mbps, high was 3 and low was under 1, with 2 to 4 bars.

I went to my local AT&T store (purchased the phone from AT&T online). They swapped my Sim card and verified that my data plan was correct, but nothing helped. They just got their display Titan in, so we installed BandWidth and it showed about 1.5 down. They told me that they've seen non 4g phones in their store have much better speeds. They said that either they could call tech support or they could just give me the number. I took it.

Tech support couldn't help me. I tried to explain that I think there's an overarching problem (not just my phone) but apparently there are some network issues in Illinois and they wanted me to wait until those are resolved. Unfortunately there is no easy way to track this issue; need to call tech support (would be nice it if could be tracked via the web).

Titan owners: we need to flood tech support with reports of this issue and make AT&T recognize this as an issue. The only other option I've been offered is to return the phone. I would prefer that they fix the problem that I think we all think exists. The tech support number is 800.331.0500. If you call, be sure to mention that people in a number of cities are experiencing this issue. I was close to being able to escalate this issue with tech support (i.e. speaking to a manager) but then they mentioned the network issues in Illinois.

I'm sure if we can get this issue escalated to the right level at AT&T they will want to resolve it (versus telling us all we can return our phons if we're not happy with the phone).

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Make sure to rate the network poorly in the survey. I would have rated mine lower if I had a chance to do it again. Maybe they'll take notice that way.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to butt in guys, but I'm not sure what kinds of speeds I'm supposed to be getting on my Focus S.

I live in Los Angeles. I ran the Bandwidth app and got:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Billone, I agree there are too many people experiencing the same problem. Getting a replacement phone wouldn't do anything. Someone needs to come out and say if it's a problem with the hardware inside or if ATT has artificially capped WP7 owners.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to butt in guys, but I'm not sure what kinds of speeds I'm supposed to be getting on my Focus S.

I live in Los Angeles. I ran the Bandwidth app and got:

those are excellent speeds I wouldn't worry if I were you.

gpsi

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, my speeds in NYC are being severely throttled. : / I hope its just a temporary thing and can be fixed with an OTA update or something similar...I'm all sad now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster