AT&T limiting network speed on their Titan?

retropenguin

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
No wonder my songs barely stream from zune pass..connection speed in New York is horrible..hope they have some kind of update for this

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Got the Bandwidth app since that seems to be what most people are using. Using that app I am able to get 4.52 Mbps with 2 bars on 4G with the Samsung Focus S.

One interesting note....if I use the default file size of 4MBs I can only get about 2 Mbps. When I switched it to the Extra Large 17MB file I got 4.52 Mbps but noticed the download jump all over the place. At one time I saw it go to over 40 Mbps.

Wish speedtest.net would come out with their app for WP.

Uninstalling the bandwidth app and going back to using i.dslr.net/iphone_speedtest.html
As I posted earlier we have AT&T towers right next to my work so I will test from there tomorrow.

spokanedj

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a Focus S and HTC Titan. I just ran Bandwidth on both of them. I'm getting 3.5-4Mbps download consistently on both of them. The Old Focus prior was getting about 1.5-2Mpbs.

The wierd thing is that when I put the HTC Titan on Wi-Fi (I have a 20MBps Comcast connection), the Titan gets 2Mbs, the Focus S gets 8-9, and my Laptop gets 15-17Mbps.

Why am I getting such lousy wifi performance on the Titan?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Test 1 - default settings when app just installed (on BandWidth) - 4mb file
Down - 2.77
Up - 0.98

Test 2 - 8mb file
Down - 4.48
Up - 1.50

Test 3 - 17mb file
Down - 4.45
Up - 1.53

Device - HTC TITAN
Carrier - Hutchinson Whampoa (3-UK)
Signal - 4 bars 'H' (we don't have 4g in the UK yet)

Just some extra comparison material for you.

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a Focus S and HTC Titan. I just ran Bandwidth on both of them. I'm getting 3.5-4Mbps download consistently on both of them. The Old Focus prior was getting about 1.5-2Mpbs.

The wierd thing is that when I put the HTC Titan on Wi-Fi (I have a 20MBps Comcast connection), the Titan gets 2Mbs, the Focus S gets 8-9, and my Laptop gets 15-17Mbps.

Are you in Spokane?

Anyone reporting data connection speeds: it would be very helpful if you also reported what city you're testing in, since different cities have different networks.

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Pittsburgh and I notice that when I increase the file size to test with the rates go up from 2-3 Mb up to 8-9Mb when I use the 8Mb test setting. All of this is on Comcast Wifi.

Sent from my kick-*** Titan using Board Express

Brunothesheep

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
What bothers me the most is that on my GSG2 on WiFi I would get 11 down, 2.5 up. On the Focus S I get about 9 down, 1.9 up. On the Titan? If im lucky I get 3.5 down, 1 up. Mind you, this is WiFi. My laptop clocks in at 12 down, almost 3 up.

If even WiFi shows such slow speeds, it has to have something to do with settings on the phone.. Or am I wrong?

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

My experience is the opposite: blazing fast speeds on wi-fi (connected at work), and crazy slow speeds on cellular data connection (ranging from 6.8 to over 18.0 mbps down...). I have intermittent inability to load pages on cellular, outside work. If you are having wi-fi slowness, could be the router or server rather than the Titan. The phone can do it -- I have the bandwidth history to show it.

jawesome

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Alright here are my speed results. I live in an 4G covered area and this is with 5 bars of service. I tested each one 5 times.

HTC Titan - Bandwidth app
1.27 Mbps / 0.83 Mbps
2.91 Mbps / 0.63 Mbps
4.47 Mbps / 0.58 Mbps
3.55 Mbps / 0.70 Mbps
4.13 Mbps / 0.56 Mbps

HTC Titan - ispgeeks.com
5.07 Mbps
3.42 Mbps
2.42 Mbps
2.38 Mbps
2.06 Mbps

Using Wifi on the Titan my speeds are:
4.66 Mbps / 0.87 Mbps
5.73 Mbps / 1.51 Mbps
4.16 Mbps / 0.99 Mbps
4.18 Mbps / 1.60 Mbps
6.71 Mbps / 1.18 Mbps

Compared to these Wifi speeds on my laptop:
7.92 Mbps / 1.93 Mbps
8.96 Mbps / 1.94 Mbps
8.26 Mbps / 1.94 Mbps
7.83 Mbps / 1.91 Mbps
7.84 Mbps / 1.91 Mbps

So yeah, results are disappointing. I plan on calling AT&T tonight but I'm sure they won't have any solution to offer. This needs to be fixed!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This does sound like something that AT&T would have done intentionally to limit speeds. Though, if they would do that, why not do it to all phones?

I'm getting under 2 Mbps in a 4G area. (Los Angeles)

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
This does sound like something that AT&T would have done intentionally to limit speeds. Though, if they would do that, why not do it to all phones?

I'm getting under 2 Mbps in a 4G area. (Los Angeles)
How many of the AT&T phones are hspa+?

Aren't the Titan and the Focus S the first hspa+ WP7's? From what I've seen on this forum, at least some of the Focus Ss are also experiencing poor speeds.

What Android phones does AT&T have with hspa+? It would be interesting to do side by side by side tests (i.e. in the same physical location) of these with the Titan and Focus S.

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
in NYC, my wife's iPhone 4s gets 8-9mbps while I barely get 1.3.... definitely not a happy camper and am considering switching to iOS until Nokia comes with heat via Appollo

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I am in Boston today and only have 1 bar of reception and cannot even complete one test on the Bandwitch test app. Almost every web page I go to wont even open up. This is nuts. I rebooted the phone, popped the battery and still nothing. My iphone 4 works great in the same locations but I am giving that to my wife at the end of the month which means I wont have a phone that works. I hope something can be done about this rec

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I am in Boston today and only have 1 bar of reception and cannot even complete one test on the Bandwitch test app. Almost every web page I go to wont even open up. This is nuts. I rebooted the phone, popped the battery and still nothing. My iphone 4 works great in the same locations but I am giving that to my wife at the end of the month which means I wont have a phone that works. I hope something can be done about this rec

Next time that happens try cycling airplane mode. It's no solution, but it may help gather data for the people who eventually fix the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss