AT&T limiting network speed on their Titan?

tensacross

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
First post! I'm a chronic lurker and never post til now.
I'm so aggravated by the titan data speed.
Using bandwidth app I get 1.34 down, .43 up.
4 bars, 4g in NYC.
Wtf?
I have a galaxy tab 7" 3g on sprint, it is faster.
I retweeted btw.

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't even get a usable data signal on my Titan in downtown Los Angeles, although other folks in my office with an iPhone get service with no problem. It's rare that I can get a simple mobile web page to load. It usually times out. Same with speed tests. Signal strength occassionally spikes and I can download something, but it usually lasts no more than a few seconds. 99.9% of the time the signal strength hovers around 1 bar, but no data is being transmitted.

I left Sprint because their 3G was bad, but it's a helluva lot better than what I've experienced with AT&T's "4G". And at least on Sprint I could turn on my 4G antenna and get 5Mpbs+, in the same office I'm not getting a data signal at all on my Titan.

I can make phone calls fine, but the data isn't working. Incredibly frustrating.

If I walk outside and stand next to the street (most unobstructed area), I can get 3Mbps-4Mbps. But if I walk behind a plate of glass, say at a sidewalk cafe, the signal becomes completely unusable. Rather ridiculous.

AT&T says they are working on it, but I'm sure that's a canned answer. It just makes no sense that an iPhone can rock it, but my Titan gets nothing. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Either something is wrong with the phone or with AT&T's network.

EDIT: I thought my coworker, with her AT&T iPhone, was getting a data signal, but she can't connect either. This is in downtown Los Angeles. How can you have such a large deadspot in one of the largest metro areas in the country?

Last edited:

mocsharp

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I emailed AT&T and here's the reply:

"Thank you for contacting AT&T about your wireless service. My name is Joe and I am more than happy to assist you today with your inquiry regarding your data plan.

After reviewing your account I can confirm that you are set up on the correct 4G data plan. You are able to connect to our 4G HSPA+ network where the speeds range from 2-6Mbps, which is right around the speeds you are seeing on your device."

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I emailed AT&T and here's the reply:

"Thank you for contacting AT&T about your wireless service. My name is Joe and I am more than happy to assist you today with your inquiry regarding your data plan.

After reviewing your account I can confirm that you are set up on the correct 4G data plan. You are able to connect to our 4G HSPA+ network where the speeds range from 2-6Mbps, which is right around the speeds you are seeing on your device."

Those are more like 3G speeds. HSPA+ should be 7 to 8 Mbps. 3G should be able to hit 2 Mbps

Addendum: I just looked up AT&T definition of 3G and it's between 600 Kbps to 1.4 Mbps download, So I guess if you hit 2 Mbps it's considered 4G to AT&T

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Those are more like 3G speeds. HSPA+ should be 7 to 8 Mbps. 3G should be able to hit 2 Mbps

Addendum: I just looked up AT&T definition of 3G and it's between 600 Kbps to 1.4 Mbps download, So I guess if you hit 2 Mbps it's considered 4G to AT&T

It sucks that carriers can get away with calling even the slightest speed increase "4G."

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

What... the... ****...

That must have changed somewhat recently. I remember when AT&T wasn't calling hspa+ "4G." But I guess someone in management decided that they had to since T-Mobile was doing it.

So what are they going to call LTE? And will they say LTE is 6-8 Mbps?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
HSPA+ was supposed to be 6Mbps actual. They are screwing us. Granted, that is with enhanced backhaul, but if we dont have the backhaul, they shouldnt call it 4G and just say its really 3G.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It sucks that carriers can get away with calling even the slightest speed increase "4G."

It's like my cable company advertises their broadband internet service as unlimited data, but when you read the small print it says you are allowed up to 200GB a month, something like that. I think it falls under the legal term of allowable "puffery", which is basically how much they are allowed to stretch the truth: Puffery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
What... the... ****...

That must have changed somewhat recently. I remember when AT&T wasn't calling hspa+ "4G." But I guess someone in management decided that they had to since T-Mobile was doing it.

So what are they going to call LTE? And will they say LTE is 6-8 Mbps?

LOL, They will probably call it 4G+ :D

tensacross

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
when i emailed AT&T about the slow data speed on the Titan..

"i thought this was a 4G phone? my 3G data speeds on Sprint are faster!"

they simply emailed me back their return policy :p

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It's rare that I can get a simple mobile web page to load. It usually times out. Same with speed tests. Signal strength occassionally spikes and I can download something, but it usually lasts no more than a few seconds. 99.9% of the time the signal strength hovers around 1 bar, but no data is being transmitted.

Same thing for me on Boston. 1 single bar in my office and no data being transmitted. I go outside and get 3-4 bars plus data. The thing that really pisses me off is that I also have an iPhone 4 and sitting in my office where my Titan can't even load a mobile web page my iPhone is getting 4 bars on 3G and has great data speeds.

Come January my wife gets my iPhone 4 so the Titan will be my only phone. I called AT&T and all they can tell me is that I "should" have great coverage where I am and they can't explain why the iPhone does and the Titan doesn't!

I asked if there was a way for the Titan to only connect to 3G instead to see if that would allow me to get data at work and the guy shifted the blame to Microsoft and said they won't allow it. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Same thing for me on Boston. 1 single bar in my office and no data being transmitted. I go outside and get 3-4 bars plus data. The thing that really pisses me off is that I also have an iPhone 4 and sitting in my office where my Titan can't even load a mobile web page my iPhone is getting 4 bars on 3G and has great data speeds.

Come January my wife gets my iPhone 4 so the Titan will be my only phone. I called AT&T and all they can tell me is that I "should" have great coverage where I am and they can't explain why the iPhone does and the Titan doesn't!

I asked if there was a way for the Titan to only connect to 3G instead to see if that would allow me to get data at work and the guy shifted the blame to Microsoft and said they won't allow it. I don't know what to believe anymore.

The guy you talked to is likely full of crap.

Why would an OS maker "not allow" getting reception?

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

...and why would MS "not allow" connection to 3G with what is, in the eyes of all the world *other than* at&t, a 3G phone???

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if more users than just the "top 5%" are being affected by this.

AT&T throttles speeds for heavy data users | Digital Media - CNET News

If that's the case, I wouldn't fall into that category because since I can't get reception half of the day because I'm at work, and the other half I use my wifi at home.

Hmmm...I stand corrected. Looking at my usage I'm at 796MB of 2GB, with 13 days left in my cycle. I don't know how that is remotely possible. I watched some videos and such at home to test out the data service (which works ok at home), but at work I couldn't have possibly used more than 10-20MB. Now I'm questioning their usage calculation. If I can hit almost 800MB with using data less than 25% of the time, then hitting 2GB is incredibly easy to do.

I'm calling shenanigans!

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I just called ATT and came to the conclusion they are calling 3G now 4G on these phones. My area does not show 4G, yet the guy in my local store said we have had 4G (I specifically asked HSPA+ and he acknowledged that I did because he was impressed I knew to call it HSPA+) for 10 months. So I get my Titan a week later and to my surprise, it infact shows 4G. So, as I've said in earlier posts, only getting 3G speeds. I called CS and he tells me the nearest 4G is 20 minutes south, which their map does show.

I take from that, they are lying and calling their 3G network 4G. I assume, maybe, if I actually had HSPA+ 4G in my area it would actually show H or H+ and not 4G?

Does anyone actually see an H or H+ on these ATT Titans, in their 4G zones?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss