AT&T limiting network speed on their Titan?

GudsFortapelse

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I did something similar the other day and I noticed that the larger the file I tested the faster the rates were. My personal theory is that AT&T throttles up the bandwidth depending on the size of the file transmitted - or it's another fluke. Overall I really don't feel it's horribly slow or anything but I know, as well as all of you, that these rates can be faster.

I'm starting to believe the same theory...i just hate that no matter how I access YouTube, whether it be an app (MetroTube, SuperTube) or using the mobile website, I always get buffering unless I'm on WiFi.

Sent from my HTC TITAN using Board Express

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I did something similar the other day and I noticed that the larger the file I tested the faster the rates were. My personal theory is that AT&T throttles up the bandwidth depending on the size of the file transmitted - or it's another fluke. Overall I really don't feel it's horribly slow or anything but I know, as well as all of you, that these rates can be faster.

That would make no sense. If anything, they'd give you really fast quick speeds so small transfers would be short. But if it's a long download, then they'll throttle it. That's not unlike cable modem burst speeds (I forget what they call it...speedboost?).

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Randomly decided to run a test a few minutes ago.

11pm here on Sunday

"4G" with four bars
1st - 4.69 down / 0.91 up
2nd - 4.44 down / 0.89 up

Wifi
1st 3.7 down / .64 up (only had one bar)
2nd 9.53 down / 2.52 up (peaked around 15)

This is late night Sunday so it's unlikely there are a lot of people using their phone. I think this only shows how clogged AT&T's network can be if during the day I get around 1-2Mbps and at night I get around 4Mbps.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Funny, I usually get 1.75-2.3Mbps down, sometimes I get around 3Mbps around midnight to like 2am. I just tested and got 4.6Mbps down. Easily my highest ever. Lol. So inconsistent. My uploads are consistently .75-1Mbps though.

Last edited:

JBenn911

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Bring this one back up...tested mine several times, average about 4.3 down with 5 bars.. confirmed with AT&T tech that our local site is the HSPA+ w/enhanced backhaul! Took an iPhone 4s, Galaxy Skyrocket, and my phone to a clear spot with no wavering of signal, and WOW..iPhone averaged 10.2 down, the Galaxy was averaging 8.5 down, my phone..same 4.3-4.5....something is surely up....when i call about my broken camera button, I will ask about the speed throttling

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
All I know is my numbers got slightly better as I bumped up the size of the file I tested. It's what I experienced over our "3.5G" and my Comcast Wifi. Its all still rubbish compared to what we were expecting.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It still seems possible that the phone is firmware limited to category 8 HSPA+ based on these results. But I don't think the HSPA category would affect signal strength or some of the no-data-but-there-are-bars issues people are having.

DKDogz54

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
So are there reports of titans that don't have this network speed limitation? Because my gfs Samsung focus s consistently gets over 3mbps while I am under 1mbps most of the time, and its sad considering that she hardly uses data on a 200mb plan while I have an unlimited data plan that I use a lot. I'm thinking about going to a store tomorrow and doing an exchange for another titan over there, hoping its only a select number of phones with this problem...

Lancelot Software

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I just ran a side by side wi-fi test with the Titan and my laptop. the bottom result on the right is mine

wifi.jpg

Kdawg1989

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I am confident att is limiting windows phones I have a titan a focus s and a vivid and if I speedtest them all side by side neither of the windows phones ever hit over 3mbps usually they are between 1.5 and 1.8 mbps. However the vivid which is an android phone can consistently pull 6-7 mbps right next to the windows phones. And although the vivid is an LTE device I live no where near where LTE is available.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I am confident att is limiting windows phones I have a titan a focus s and a vivid and if I speedtest them all side by side neither of the windows phones ever hit over 3mbps usually they are between 1.5 and 1.8 mbps. However the vivid which is an android phone can consistently pull 6-7 mbps right next to the windows phones. And although the vivid is an LTE device I live no where near where LTE is available.

Yep, I too own a couple Android phones and am confident Windows Phones are being limited. My HSPA+ Android phones destroy HSPA+ Windows Phones on AT&T. I still love Windows Phone though. It's not Microsoft's fault. It's AT&T's fault for requesting this limitation and it's the OEM's (HTC, Samsung, etc.) fault for complying, though AT&T might have threatened not selling the phones at all if this limitation wasn't in place. This won't be fixed until we have enough well informed users to be heard.

1Rahtid

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
AT&T throttling data speed?

I live about a mile from an AT&T tower that was installed about four months ago. Prior to the tower, at home I mostly got one bar on my iPhone 3GS and a lot of dropped calls. After the new tower, I got full bars on the iPhone. With my new Focus S I also get full bars at all times. Using the Bandwidth app on the Focus S, whether from home or elsewhere within a 3 mile radius of the new tower, I'm consistently getting between 1 and 2 Mbps download speed. The AT&T coverage map shows my area as 4G covered, and living just a mile from the tower I'm both surprised and disappointed by the slow speed indicated by the Bandwidth app. Notwithstanding that, the web browsing experience on the Focus S is many times faster than what I got on the iPhone. This zippy web experience causes me to mostly forget the crappy download speed that the bandwidth app indicates.

Kdawg1989

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the snappy browser helps for sure I mainly notice it when I am streaming music and it has to stop and buffer.

dare1015

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
speeds

I think something is going on, my Pre3 (which was never actually released) gets 4-7mb down. On my Titan I only get 800k-3mb tops. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire