AT&T limiting network speed on their Titan?

sfleuriet

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This is the fastest I've ever seen with my Titan on the Bandwidth app... :)

Dallas, TX. 12/23/11 12:19am. 8mb Test
5.12 Mbps Down 0.30 Mbps Up
6.33 Mbps Down 0.49 Mbps Up

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

I'd be happy with that. :/. Upload is pretty weak though. :(. I take it you are truly in a 4G zone? (HSPA+ with the enhanced backhaul)

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, Dallas has advanced backhaul. AT&T Android phones that aren't limited typically get 10-12 Mbps there.

Coincidence that your speeds are right around the real world maximum of HSDPA category 8 (7.2 Mbps is the theoretical max)? I think not.

Man it pisses me off to know how much more awesome this phone could be. It should be illegal for AT&T to advertise their Windows Phones as 4G HSPA+ and then artificially limit them to standard 3G HSPA speeds. If we could interop unlock the Titan we could get into the system and find proof of this and could probably get the story published on larger news sites.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
That is exactly what I thought.

I agree. I am in a faux G area, no true 4G, no enhanced backhaul. Getting up to 2.99 down on Focus S, but never above that (upload speeds always <1).

Although Focus S has done better than any of my TITANS, my results with both devices are consistent with cap at HSPA category 8.

If they find it legit to charge me for faux G, then at least let the device work to its full potential: remove the cap. I understand that HSPA+ expansion is gradual, but removal of category 8 cap doesn't have to be. Come on, at&t.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Dallas has advanced backhaul. AT&T Android phones that aren't limited typically get 10-12 Mbps there.

Coincidence that your speeds are right around the real world maximum of HSDPA category 8 (7.2 Mbps is the theoretical max)? I think not.

Man it pisses me off to know how much more awesome this phone could be. It should be illegal for AT&T to advertise their Windows Phones as 4G HSPA+ and then artificially limit them to standard 3G HSPA speeds. If we could interop unlock the Titan we could get into the system and find proof of this and could probably get the story published on larger news sites.

Can we interest the guy who proved the presence of keylogging on most phones *other than* Windows? He got attention and swift response from carriers / OSs.

jamesdean74

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Here in the Ashville area, been getting about the same speeds as my "old" iPhone 4S, around 2 down and 1.2 up, at home on WiFi they are the same as well, 16-19 down and around 2 up. So I'm quite happy with the cell and WiFi performance of my at&t titan.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
It's funny how you go to HTC's web site and look at the specs for the Titan. No where does it say its 4G. They show it as such

3G:
•Up to 14.4 Mbps download speed
•Up to 5.76 Mbps upload speed

It kinda upsetting how they word things in this country though. They even got the phone to display 4G Ha!

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Is there any progress on this? I can hardly watch a video when not on WiFi. This sucks. This is defenatly slower than my iphone4. should we run an online petition and send it to ATT and joe belfiore? Is this even on suggestion box yet?

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Is there any progress on this? I can hardly watch a video when not on WiFi. This sucks. This is defenatly slower than my iphone4. should we run an online petition and send it to ATT and joe belfiore? Is this even on suggestion box yet?

There is no progress because there is no issue. I get up to 6mbps on a good hspa+ area and at a minimum 2mbps which are excellent speeds for 3G.

In the beginning this was an issue with AT&T (hence this thread) where many including myself were getting poor download speeds but that was straightened out a while back.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been using iPhone 4s (3G signal - none of the faux G stuff possible) on at&t network. Thought I'd share data speeds here in light of the ongoing question about throttling on the Titan.

I am getting up to 6 mbps down and as high as 5 mbps up on cellular signal. These are highs - average is 4+ mbps down and 2.5-ish mbps down. On wi-fi, it blazes: 16 mpbs down and 12 up. My experience with iPhone is consistently better than any of my WP7.5 phones ever were.

I went with iPhone very reluctantly, having been smitten with everything Windows and Metro. Have to say, that as new and gorgeous and refreshing as that all is, iPhone has been reliable and consistent, not to mention a lot more fun to use than I anticipated. Who knew?

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It's funny how you go to HTC's web site and look at the specs for the Titan. No where does it say its 4G. They show it as such

3G:
•Up to 14.4 Mbps download speed
•Up to 5.76 Mbps upload speed

It kinda upsetting how they word things in this country though. They even got the phone to display 4G Ha!

Yeah, 14.4 Mbps shouldn't even be considered 4G, let alone the 7.2 Mbps AT&T limited their Titan to. The AT&T version of this phone is 3G, plain and simple.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There is no progress because there is no issue. I get up to 6mbps on a good hspa+ area and at a minimum 2mbps which are excellent speeds for 3G.

In the beginning this was an issue with AT&T (hence this thread) where many including myself were getting poor download speeds but that was straightened out a while back.

There is still an issue. This phone should be capable of HSPA+ category 10, 14.4 Mbps max, yet it can't do that. It only does standard HSPA category 8, 7.2 Mbps max. False advertising, but nothing we can do about it except switch carriers.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
There is still an issue. This phone should be capable of HSPA+ category 10, 14.4 Mbps max, yet it can't do that. It only does standard HSPA category 8, 7.2 Mbps max. False advertising, but nothing we can do about it except switch carriers.

over 10mbps is a theoretical speed or "speeds up to" and depends on your location and network demand. You should have read the fine print there is no false advertising. There is no speed issues as far as the titan goes.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
over 10mbps is a theoretical speed or "speeds up to" and depends on your location and network demand. You should have read the fine print there is no false advertising. There is no speed issues as far as the titan goes.

Who mentioned 10 Mbps? I said category 10 (14 Mbps theoretical max), not 10 Mbps.

I own four AT&T phones. The other three get 10-12 Mbps in an HSPA+ area near where I live. The Titan caps out at about 6.3 Mbps in the same area, which is about the real world maximum of HSDPA category 8 (theoretical is 7.2 Mbps). If the Titan wasn't artificially limited it would get 10-12 Mbps like the other phones because its hardware is capable of 14 Mbps. There IS a speed issue. The Titan only uses HSDPA category 8 (3G) despite being advertised as a 4G phone with category 10 capabilities.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb