Our best bet is to contact HTC/AT&T

cyrus_the_great

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the international version, and out of all the problems listed, I have only seen the bing audio one, sometimes there is a audio pop when zune is changing tracks, and I saw the tile tearing once, but just locked and unlocked my phone and I have never seen it again. It seems the AT&T models have a lot more problems than the international ones.
yeah,seems so!

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
If everyone that bought a titan runs and tells at&t that it's a crappy phone, that's what they're going to think it is. They will then stop selling the phone to interested people and leading them to an android or iPhone.
I understand that you're having problems with the phone. Just try to be tactful and not damper the name of wp7 in the eyes of at&t reps anymore than needs to be done. I would suggest not even talking to at&t and going straight to HTC or Microsoft.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

I am against this. Even if it's a product that I enjoy I will never pretend it doesn't have problems if it does.

I love my Xbox 360 and had one since day 1. It has been replaced 4 different times though. The first two generations of the Xbox 360 were horrible and broke often. As much as I wanted my friends to buy an Xbox 360 over the PS3 I still told them about it's downfalls. However the upsides of the 360 (in my opinion) are reason enough to get one, even back then when they were all breaking.

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
The quicker we contact HTC and AT&T about the numerous problems with the Titan the faster someone will get around to fixing them. Here is the list I sent. Hopefully I described the problems accurately.

Weak wifi antenna
Randomly dropping wifi connection
No audio during phone calls
Audio pops during songs
Music distorts while using Bing search
Unusually slow network speeds
Vertical tile tearing
Disappearing keyboard
No activity even with 4G/wifi connected
SRS causes video and game stuttering

WiFi: No issues here.
Audio during phone calls: Never had an issue with that either.
Audio popping: Haven't noticed it.
Music distorts: Yes, if you're using the phone's speaker to listen to music, bringing up Bing changes the audio to using the phone's earpiece.
Tile tearing: Haven't had that
Disappearing keyboard: Common problem across all WP7.5 handsets (happened on my T-Mo DVP as well)
4G issues: Yeah, definitely have that.
I don't play much games and I disable all sound enhancements, so I don't notice it.

I'm quite sure it's AT&T's fault for the 4G network issues; the other problems are relatively minor and the rest are HTC's problems, with the exception of the disappearing keyboard, which is an OS issue. We need to conclusively test AT&T's HSPA+ Windows Phones vs. Android/iPhone. There needs to be a standard, high-quality test we can use across platforms that we can use to consistently reproduce results in order to prove this.

jkseger

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I was in Buy, Buy, Baby yesterday in Lombard, IL... western suburb and couldn't get a data connection for anything. I tried using the Amazon app but it just hung.

The most embarrassing part was when my wife and I were told we could taxt something and get a 20% off coupon. I couldn't connect using the resulting web link, she fired up our old TP2 on Verizon and got it. UGH!

This needs to be fixed or I'm giving up and going iPhone4s on Verizon, which would be monumental since I've been anti-Apple products (well since I got rid of my Apple II + in 1986... lol).

John

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I have not had any issues with WiFi. I haven't seen any bug except the disappearing keyboard. I use my phone a lot for music, podcasts, twitter, and internet... Not sure why your Titans are so buggy, but mine isn't...

Sent from my TITAN using Board Express

cyrus_the_great

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have not had any issues with WiFi. I haven't seen any bug except the disappearing keyboard. I use my phone a lot for music, podcasts, twitter, and internet... Not sure why your Titans are so buggy, but mine isn't...

Sent from my TITAN using Board Express
is It international version?

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I was in Buy, Buy, Baby yesterday in Lombard, IL... western suburb and couldn't get a data connection for anything. I tried using the Amazon app but it just hung.

The most embarrassing part was when my wife and I were told we could taxt something and get a 20% off coupon. I couldn't connect using the resulting web link, she fired up our old TP2 on Verizon and got it. UGH!

This needs to be fixed or I'm giving up and going iPhone4s on Verizon, which would be monumental since I've been anti-Apple products (well since I got rid of my Apple II + in 1986... lol).

John

I also have this issue. And while we wait for a fix, try engaging airplane mode, then turn it back off. That fixed it for me this last time it happened.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
HTC's reply:

I apologize for the inconvenience you're experiencing with WIFI signal and connection, audio during calls, network reception, disappearing keyboard on the HTC Titan. I will be more than happy to assist you with these issues. Due to the issues on the device, I would first recommend to perform a soft reset. This is done by powering down the phone, remove the battery for at least 30 seconds, replace it and restart the phone. This will clear the cache on the device.

Make sure you are not using a task killer on your phone. These can interfere with the processes that the phone needs to connect to the network. They are also known to cause instability to the UI on HTC devices, causing the phones to behave abnormally. If you use a task killer, we strongly suggest that you uninstall it.

Also, if you have a case of any type on the phone we recommend to remove it. Cases will often impede proper reception and functionality of the phone.

The availability and strength of the WIFI signal will vary depending on objects, such as buildings or simply a wall between rooms, the WIFI signal has to pass through. Try moving to different areas of the building to see if there is better reception on one side or another.

Make sure you are not in a basement, or surrounded by either a lot of concrete, or large electrical devices such as furnaces, air conditioners, and microwaves. All electrical devices emit electro-magnetic interference to some degree. If there is a lot of it in the building, then this can disrupt the signals.

Have you tried adjusting the audio levels on the Titan, when using Bing or changing songs?

When you are holding the phone, do so with the edges of the device, making sure to leave some space between the palm of your hand and the back of the phone. Again, this allows the best reception of cell signals. Contact your provider and see if they are having any connectivity issues in your area. They may also be able to refresh your connection to their network.

Lastly I would recommend to perform a factory data reset on the phone. A factory data reset removes all information from your device and returns it to a state just like it has never been used before. All contacts, messages, emails, third-party applications, etc. will need to be reinstalled after performing a factory data reset. To perform a factory data reset, Applications list > Settings > About > Reset your phone > Follow the onscreen instructions.

In the interim we will pass along your comments and feedback to our developers on your behalf. All constructive suggestions are evaluated on their own merit and are used by our developers when deciding what new features to offer in upcoming models, to improve existing features and functions, to find out what things that our customers are looking for in their device, or find areas that could be improved with future models of HTC devices.

We do apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we hope the suggestions we have provided can resolve this important issue for you. We deeply regret if this issue has caused you any dissatisfaction with your phone or with HTC, and we hope that it will not detract from your overall use and enjoyment of the Titan. We thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this important issue.

Keep in mind that we are here to answer any technical questions or concerns you may have between 6am to 1am EDST, 7 days a week for your convenience, or by phone at 1-866-449-8358.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Ryan

HTC

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?

Become a fan of HTC facebook.com/htc
Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/htc
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel youtube.com/htc

Explore our development resources developer.htc.com

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Funny they suggest removing any case you might be using to improve reception, as using a case on an iPhone usually improves reception.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I also found it found how he suggested holding the phone differently. Soft admission of antenna problems?

I'm left handed and it seems like signal quality drops when I'm holding it with my left hand but when I use my right hand I get a stronger signal. Hmmmm....

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I like the task killer canned response (for Android).

Wasn't the entire response canned? This is where I fear that reported issues like this will fall between the cracks of some tech support person trying close the ticket as quickly as possible (this is what most support people are evaluated on: how quickly they can close tickets). How easy will it be to get AT&T and HTC together to figure out what's going on? Not easy at all. Much easier for them to point fingers at each other, maybe pointing at Microsoft, too.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a mostly canned response from HTC. I finally emailed them today so hopefully tomorrow I will get my reply and we can compare how canned the response was.

I think we need to start getting Microsoft involved. This is one of the flagship phones for the OS and issues need to be addressed. The network speed should be a major concern as the iPhone 4 on the same network runs fine. Something is being done to limit the Titan (all Windows Phones?) and it needs to be dealt

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a mostly canned response from HTC. I finally emailed them today so hopefully tomorrow I will get my reply and we can compare how canned the response was.

I think we need to start getting Microsoft involved. This is one of the flagship phones for the OS and issues need to be addressed. The network speed should be a major concern as the iPhone 4 on the same network runs fine. Something is being done to limit the Titan (all Windows Phones?) and it needs to be dealt
It's hard to tell where the issue exists. I've seen at least one person reporting that a Focus S was getting better speeds than a Titan, and at least one person that was getting the same speeds as a Focus S. There are so many variables, it's hard to decipher this.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Got another email from HTC requesting more information but that's about all so far.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding while we work to resolve these issues. If you could also provide the following information for tracking purposes:

Customer information:

Customer Name
Email Address
Contact Number
Mobile Number
Preferred Contact Time
Customer Time Zone
Customer Device Type

Device Information:

Device OS
ROM Version
Phone OS Version
Kernal Version and Date
Software Version
Serial Number/MEID/ IMEI/ESN
Customer Carrier

Software and Application Information:

Software versions for relative software (Example Outlook 07 or HTC Sync)
Downloaded apps on the device (List all if less than 10 or the most recent if more than 10)
Non-market apps on the device (List all)

L

lumic

The lowered music volume and disappearing keyboard have already been extensively documented as Mango issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3