Titan Bugs Report Thread [Updated 12/16/11]

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Titan a day after it got released in the USA. I am having so many issues with it, I'm probably going to return it.

The network speed of the device is terrible. I still have my old Samsung Focus and have done many tests. The Focus can get between 8 and 12 mg down and between 1 and 3 mg up, whilst my Titan gets between 1 and 3 down and between .3 and .6 up. Just not even in the same league. The WiFi is just as terrible. Streaming radio for example, the focus has never had an issue, whilst the Titan has never played more than 1 minute without stopping to buffer, and always eventually stops streaming on it's own after about 10 minutes.

As to the call quality. The feedback I get from people on the other end of the phone call, is that the audio sounds very thin and quiet and scratchy. From my end, it's usually disjointed and scratchy. On about 70% of calls that are longer than 10 minutes, the microphone stops working at the 10 minute mark, and I can no longer be heard. Really annoying when you spend hours on the phone a day...

My newest gripe, is the processor in the Titan. It is supposed to be a 1.4gig Snapdragon? Correct? Well, I just had a look at the hardware report from the latest release of Windows Phone Device Manager which clearly shows an MSM8255 processor that is running at 998MHz... Not quite what I expected to see...

I also have the issue when SRS is turned on, and the compass being completely inaccurate issue as well.

I am completely disappointed with this phone. And discovering the processor isn't what it is supposed to be just really puts the last nail in the coffin for me...

-Scott

Scott,
I am fascinated to see your results re: processor. Question: is this something we non-devs can test as easily as bandwidth? Would love to test this...

I am also curious to see what responses roll in as others here weigh in. May be worth starting a new thread with clear tagline to call attention to your findings and get others to weigh in. For better or worse, thank you for sharing this!!

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The network speed of the device is terrible. I still have my old Samsung Focus and have done many tests. The Focus can get between 8 and 12 mg down and between 1 and 3 mg up, whilst my Titan gets between 1 and 3 down and between .3 and .6 up. Just not even in the same league. The WiFi is just as terrible. Streaming radio for example, the focus has never had an issue, whilst the Titan has never played more than 1 minute without stopping to buffer, and always eventually stops streaming on it's own after about 10 minutes.

Something that drastic sounds like an antenna issue. Check all the antenna contacts on the phone chassis for bending. They may have been damaged in shipment or other phone handling.

My newest gripe, is the processor in the Titan. It is supposed to be a 1.4gig Snapdragon? Correct? Well, I just had a look at the hardware report from the latest release of Windows Phone Device Manager which clearly shows an MSM8255 processor that is running at 998MHz... Not quite what I expected to see...

Now I think you're just looking for something else to be wrong. The SoC clocks itself down to 1GHz when the full 1.5GHz (it is 1.5GHz btw, not 1.4, on the Titan) is not needed.

The big conspiracy I really want to get to the bottom of is what looks to be category 8 HSPA limiting on this phone and probably the other 4G WP7's.

I am completely disappointed with this phone. And discovering the processor isn't what it is supposed to be just really puts the last nail in the coffin for me...

You discovered what all laptops have done for over 5 years. No need to make up reasons to return the phone.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I bought the Titan a day after it got released in the USA. I am having so many issues with it, I'm probably going to return it.

As to the call quality. The feedback I get from people on the other end of the phone call, is that the audio sounds very thin and quiet and scratchy. From my end, it's usually disjointed and scratchy. On about 70% of calls that are longer than 10 minutes, the microphone stops working at the 10 minute mark, and I can no longer be heard. Really annoying when you spend hours on the phone a day...

I also have the issue when SRS is turned on, and the compass being completely inaccurate issue as well.

-Scott

Windows phone Device manager is a beta program I wouldn't trust it for Processer information as of yet. A quoth from HTC specs on the HTC Titam "Processor 1.5 GHz"

I would trust the HTC website over a beta program.

Deathbyvegemite

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Something that drastic sounds like an antenna issue. Check all the antenna contacts on the phone chassis for bending. They may have been damaged in shipment or other phone handling.

Now I think you're just looking for something else to be wrong. The SoC clocks itself down to 1GHz when the full 1.5GHz (it is 1.5GHz btw, not 1.4, on the Titan) is not needed.

The big conspiracy I really want to get to the bottom of is what looks to be category 8 HSPA limiting on this phone and probably the other 4G WP7's.

You discovered what all laptops have done for over 5 years. No need to make up reasons to return the phone.
I realise that I wrote 1.4 not 1.5 for the speed, typo, my bad, however, the chipset that the device returns is what is more interesting in this case... The MSM8255 is a 1ghz processor...

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It might be a 1 ghz thats overclocked to 1.5. Just like the Skyrocket having a 1.5 dual-core, but its actually the same processor as the T-Mobile GSII version.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I find the Qualcomm processors confusing. Isn't the MSM8255 the chip the CPU sits on, or something like that? and it can have a Scorpion or SnapDragon CPU?

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I realise that I wrote 1.4 not 1.5 for the speed, typo, my bad, however, the chipset that the device returns is what is more interesting in this case... The MSM8255 is a 1ghz processor...

The MSM8255 is not a 1GHz processor. There are different MSM8255 bins that are rated for different speeds. Think of something like i7 desktop processors. There is an array of i7 processors on the market all at different clock speeds. They are all the same architecture though. And the app you used was probably showing you the current speed of the processor, not the maximum. ALL modern processors clock themselves down under light use.

petroll

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The MUFFLED MICROPHONE issue isn't one of personal preference. This is documented on HTC.com by many users:
Reporting NUMEROUS bugs, glitches, and problems - HTC TITAN

I'm a U.S. att user. I just phoned HTC at 866-449-8358 and reported the issue. They said it had not been reported before. this is BS. Hundreds are complaining online and several have said specifically that they have called HTC to report it.

---> SO I ASK: if you're a U.S. customer, please call 866-449-8358 and report it as "muffled microphone" or "muffled call quality" and describe it for them. We have to get an official answer. I hate the idea of returning the phone and getting another one with the same problem. Or getting a different phone like the Samsung.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Hmm... I only have about 6GB free, less than your 7.71GB. Have you tried performing a proper hard reset? The forced "hard reset" shown in your video wasn't a hard reset at all despite the setup running again.

edit: This bug is reportedly fixed in 7740 and newer builds, so as soon as AT&T gives us an update this issue will be a thing of the past. Come on AT&T.

Last edited:

Neo Nuke

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
there is an actual storage capacity / app failing to install bug that causes your email to go away and windows live credentials to vanish, it doesn't go away with a hard or soft reset and eventually bricks your phone into a boot loop sequence that allows your battery not to charge. it is on htc forum
HTC Titan crashing when storage past certain capacity - forcing a hard reset! - HTC TITAN
Please spread this to WPCentral journalists to get htc to apply fix or upgrade to better phone.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2enkDBdixCc&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

kjettern

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Stupid phone puts out dialer tone on the back speaker when calling some carriers! Almost got deaf the other day.. Maybe I should take HTC to court for making my ears bleed..
Have a video of it here: HTC Titan speaker problem... - YouTube

Can confirm that this happens to everyone in Norway with Telenor as a carrier when calling Tele2, Chess and netcom customers :(

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
there is an actual storage capacity / app failing to install bug that causes your email to go away and windows live credentials to vanish, it doesn't go away with a hard or soft reset and eventually bricks your phone into a boot loop sequence that allows your battery not to charge. it is on htc forum
HTC Titan crashing when storage past certain capacity - forcing a hard reset! - HTC TITAN
Please spread this to WPCentral journalists to get htc to apply fix or upgrade to better phone.
Click to view quoted video

A hard reset does fix it. Best to not push near the storage limits until HTC releases a fix or you may have to do a hard reset and set up all of your stuff again. I would upgrade to a better phone if there was a better phone. If this issue still isn't fixed by the time the Lumia 900 comes out I'm bailing, but I suspect we'll have a fix for this initial batch of issues soon.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I want to start this so we have one place to discuss issues with the Titan. I will keep this post up to date with all the known bugs. I want only Titan related bugs in this thread. OS Bugs will not be included in this list so please keep that in mind when you are reporting a bug things like the disappearing keyboard and music distortion when opening Bing Search while listening to Zune music are OS/Mango bugs and will not make this list. I will try to link all the relevant information I can to each bug if you find something please post it in this thread and I will update when I have time.

Titan Bugs List

* SRS causes video and game stuttering
http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/183772.htm
Blog post: http://www.windowscentral.com/htc-titans-graphics-stutter-tied-srs-enhancement
* AT&T limiting network speed on their Titan
http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/184114.htm
Blog post: http://www.windowscentral.com/att-dialing-back-4g-speeds-windows-phones
* Windows Flag shading and light leak
http://forums.windowscentral.com/1597206-post3.htm
* Call Voice quality issues
http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/184445.htm
* WIFI signal issues
http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/184446.htm

Please post any issues you are having so we can discuss each item and decide if it is a Titan bugs or if they are carrier issues or WP7 issues. I will add all Titan bugs to this list.
Every now and then, I do not hear anything while receiving calls or calling. I have to restart the phone to go back to normal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven