How to set your Titan to EDGE/2G only mode

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
In the dialer enter ##3282#. This will open a diagnostic menu. Select ... > settings and you will see an option for network type. This setting gets reset if the phone is restarted.

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
In the dialer enter ##3282#. This will open a diagnostic menu. Select ... > settings and you will see an option for network type. This setting gets reset if the phone is restarted.
I must admit my ignorance here. I have a list of about 20 options. Where should I start with these options? Are theses documented anywhere?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this works on AT&T. Tried this several times on my Surround, but the change never sticks once you exit the diagnostic menu. Always on 3G only (on my Surround).

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this works on AT&T. Tried this several times on my Surround, but the change never sticks once you exit the diagnostic menu. Always on 3G only (on my Surround).

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Worked for me. Can't remember if I backed out of the diagnostics app or just left it running in the background, but it showed E in the status bar and I got ultra low data speeds when I tested while browsing.

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Worked for me. Can't remember if I backed out of the diagnostics app or just left it running in the background, but it showed E in the status bar and I got ultra low data speeds when I tested while browsing.
I can't tell if it's working. I still have horrible connection speed and it still says 4g at the top of the display.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
It didn't work for me. I can't manage to save the setting for it to stay on 2G its goes right back to 3g right away.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you guys leave the diagnostic app open or back out after changing the setting? I definitely got it to stick for five minutes or so until I changed it back. Not sure if it would have eventually switched back on its own.

fkiehner

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine doesn't hold either. Sure would like to get out of the 4g to see if the music apps work better.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Awesome trick, though I haven't tried it yet.

Additionally, anyone know if HSPA+ uses a different tower than a phone on HSPA would? I would love to see my phone drop to 3G (from fake 4G). Sometimes I have no coverage and I see that people with non "4G" att phones still have a couple bars.

Hopefully, this 2g trick will work when I need emergency coverage.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Did you guys leave the diagnostic app open or back out after changing the setting? I definitely got it to stick for five minutes or so until I changed it back. Not sure if it would have eventually switched back on its own.

Tried both. No change from "4G."

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I would LOVE to be able to force my Titan for 3G only when I am at work because I only have one bar of 4G and my phone's data connection is too slow to do anything. Most apps wont even connect. I called ATT and they tried to do something from their end to force 3G but it didnt work.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I did not think the phone ever said 3G. Even if you are not in a 4G area. I live in a 4G city though so no idea. Have not traveled with my Titan yet. What do the people who live in 3g cities have on their top bar?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I did not think the phone ever said 3G. Even if you are not in a 4G area. I live in a 4G city though so no idea. Have not traveled with my Titan yet. What do the people who live in 3g cities have on their top bar?

I live in 3G area but my phone still says 4G. They're programmed to say 4G even if you don't have 4G.

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The benefit of this is that, like me, I can't get a data signal at all in my office on my Titan, but my coworker that has an iPhone gets a perfectly acceptable signal. A couple of times the phone has dropped down to Edge for a few seconds where it displays a full 5 bars of signal strength. On "4G" 99.9% of the time I'm getting 1 bar with no ability to actually transmit any data. I'm going to try this and see if it works. Edge would be a major improvement over the 4G I'm getting, or not getting.

EDIT: Just tried it and it doesn't stick or do anything. :-(

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo