Just curious.. I took the back cover off and they have gold contacts in those positions.. anyone know what purpose they serve?
    12-08-2011 04:06 PM
    Lets more signal in. Better make them bigger if you're on AT&T then ;) :D
    12-08-2011 04:08 PM
    Haven't seen one yet, but maybe dock contact points?
    12-08-2011 04:09 PM
    It's where they hang the cover to spray it.

.... J/K. :D

Who knows. Good question though.
    12-08-2011 04:10 PM
    Given that part of the phone, and specifically that part, is plastic, I'd guess that's roughtly where the WiFi and Celluar antennas are located. Why there are holes on the outside? I don't know.
    12-08-2011 04:12 PM
    I honestly didn't even notice them until this thread. Weird, I've never seen that before on any other device. Not on my HTC Arrive either.
    12-08-2011 04:16 PM
    Ventilation? Mic holes?
    12-08-2011 04:23 PM
    I assumed they were mic holes, but I'm not sure. If I had to guess, the ones on the very top and bottom are for stereo recording and the one more towards the middle possibly for mono recording (when stereo is turned off) and possibly noise cancellation for calls? Just my guess.
    12-08-2011 04:26 PM
    There is another pair on the top plastic piece and I have no idea what any of them are for either.
    12-08-2011 04:27 PM
    I seem to remember I had an HTC Aria at one point that had these 'contacts' on the inside of the case (which was exactly the same setup as the Titan). I asked over at xda devs and was informed that they were definitely antenna.

Actually, the theory went that this somehow supposedly improved reception, guess that ain't so on the Titan judging from peoples experiences.
    12-08-2011 04:34 PM
    You could stick needles there and have them work as external antenna!

Ok. Maybe not.

How about... maybe they're dimples. That's why the Titan is so cute.
    jenashley likes this.
    12-08-2011 05:17 PM
    Actually, looking from the inside, I have a theory: those are leftovers from manuf of the device, connecting the trace/contacts on the inside of the case to the antennas inside. Somehow, they found it easier (or it makes a better solder joint) to punch it all the way through, instead of whatever they did in the past (I had an HTC Aria - my first android phone - with a similar design, abheit, with no holes that I remember [only found out about the antenna when I bought an eBay sourced cover that had none of the leads :(]).
    12-08-2011 05:22 PM
    I seem to remember I had an HTC Aria at one point that had these 'contacts' on the inside of the case (which was exactly the same setup as the Titan). I asked over at xda devs and was informed that they were definitely antenna.

Actually, the theory went that this somehow supposedly improved reception, guess that ain't so on the Titan judging from peoples experiences.
    ^This. They're def the contacts for the antennas. And I think this is also the area that suffers from the "grip of death" if you hold the phone in a way that covers these holes. At least that's been my experience.

Hopefully a case will help out with this.
    12-08-2011 05:23 PM
    Just curious.. I took the back cover off and they have gold contacts in those positions.. anyone know what purpose they serve?
    They're for the antennas - whether WiFi/BT or GSM, I don't know. There are two more on the top as well. If you take the cover off, you lose all cell connectivity.
    12-08-2011 05:25 PM
    Cool. So there is an actual microphone at the top and bottom of the device, right?
    12-08-2011 05:35 PM
    Yep, top and bottom holes are the mics

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
    12-08-2011 05:38 PM
    maybe for antennas,maybe mics,
    12-09-2011 11:43 AM
    I don't lose all cell connectivity with my back off, but it does drop down to 1 or 2 bars from 4 or 5 when the back is on.
    12-09-2011 12:44 PM
    They do seem like they are connected to the antenna.

I have two cases for the Titan. The case-mate barely there case which actually has holes in the same spot to align up with the Titan back.

The other is a cheap no name case from BW via Amazon marketplace and does not have the holes.

Will see if they make any difference in cell signal.
    01-27-2012 04:41 PM
    They do seem like they are connected to the antenna.

I have two cases for the Titan. The case-mate barely there case which actually has holes in the same spot to align up with the Titan back.

The other is a cheap no name case from BW via Amazon marketplace and does not have the holes.

Will see if they make any difference in cell signal.
    I've noticed that about various cases as well. However, all of my cheapo cases have those holes covered. Let us know if it makes any difference!
    01-28-2012 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD