I'm quite impressed with the battery life

tampacoder

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, I got 14 hrs of active usage out of this thing. WiFi was on about 8 hrs, same for bluetooth and Location Services. I played music for about 2 hours (non-streaming) and push email for Exchange, Hotmail and Gmail was enabled. What may have helped me is that I have the batter saver feature turned on so it limits background apps when batter starts running low.

For that I just described, is 14 hours a lot? Forgive me; but I'm coming from Android and it would be happy if I get 7 hours under the same scenario.

jenashley

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, I got 14 hrs of active usage out of this thing. WiFi was on about 8 hrs, same for bluetooth and Location Services. I played music for about 2 hours (non-streaming) and push email for Exchange, Hotmail and Gmail was enabled. What may have helped me is that I have the batter saver feature turned on so it limits background apps when batter starts running low.

For that I just described, is 14 hours a lot? Forgive me; but I'm coming from Android and it would be happy if I get 7 hours under the same scenario.

Yeah that's about right. One of the first things I noticed about WP7 when I came over from Android a year ago was the battery life. Android is a battery sucker, it's ridiculous. I have a car charger and a charger at work that I haven't used since I started using WP7 in April. :)

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It really helps to monitor the background tasks as well. As an example, I had 3 weather apps looking for updates - an obvious waste of resources. Battery saver is really nice as well. Thanks to Supreme Shortcuts its only a click away to manage.

Sent from my kick-a$$ TITAN using Board Express

absolute_

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Could anyone tell me how much their Titan can last with massive and intense usage? I'm at my second Titan and I still see a poor battery life (I come from Winmo 6.5).

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont pay any attention to battery I conserve nothing. Background tasks are running I have WIFI and Bluetooth on all day never turn it off. My Bluetooth is connected and playing music off and on all day between 3-6 hour on average. I sit in my truck on lunch and charge for about 1/2 an hour and when leave at the end of the day I usually have about 40-50% of the battery left.

FrankieA

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Could anyone tell me how much their Titan can last with massive and intense usage? I'm at my second Titan and I still see a poor battery life (I come from Winmo 6.5).

What exactly do you mean by massive and intense usage? I play with my phone a lot. web browsing at least 2-3 hours a day (spread out), I listen to music via bluetooth about an 30-40 mins a day. Maybe 10 mins of phone calls, 20-30 text messages, and about an hour of words-by-post each day.

With the above usage, I am left with about 25-30% battery before I head to bed and I hardly see the battery-saver icon come on. I consider this above average, whereas my Samsung Focus would hit battery saver at around 6pm each day.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I probably check my phone about twice an hour. Do a few emails and check my people tile. Battery life has seemed to be similar to my iPhone 3G. I get a day of use out of it. Off charger at 7am back on at 11pm. I do not have battery saver enabled and I have every possible service on. 3 email accounts all set to "as they arrive".

absolute_

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
What exactly do you mean by massive and intense usage? I play with my phone a lot. web browsing at least 2-3 hours a day (spread out), I listen to music via bluetooth about an 30-40 mins a day. Maybe 10 mins of phone calls, 20-30 text messages, and about an hour of words-by-post each day.

With the above usage, I am left with about 25-30% battery before I head to bed and I hardly see the battery-saver icon come on. I consider this above average, whereas my Samsung Focus would hit battery saver at around 6pm each day.

I got a Titan last month and returned because I thought it had a faulty battery. Now I got a new one and I see the battery life is the same. It lasts me around six-eight hours...
I use it for web browsing, reading pdf, and music (bluetooth off and wifi off, just 3G and gps on). Today I went from 100% to 16% in six hours and I just used: 2 hours Lindy Comics, 1 hours music with bluetooth headphones and 1 hour web browsing, plus ten minutes of wifi to download a comic on Lindy Comics and two phone calls of less than five minutes each). I'm really confused. I keep reading everyone is experiencing a good battery life, but I can last more than ten hours only if I keep it always in my pocket with ten minutes of calls, texts and half an hour of internet browsing... And I can't believe I got two faulty units...

So, does this seem normal to you? Am I expecting too much?

jvaudio27

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
While I am not a teen - sending hundreds of text messages per day - I do use my phone in a typical fashion. I have left wifi on and have gotten over 2 days of usage with the phone on multiple occasions. I turned off wifi for comparison, and have achieved the same. As someone who had to plug in his Epic 4g at 4pm in order to make it through the workday, I am extremely happy with the battery life of my device.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've yet to let mine run down but it seems to me the battery indicator may be inaccurate. After fully charged, I used the phone for text and internet non stop for about 35min and the battery status showed 74%, so I plugged in my car charger for about 10min at most and showed the battery at 87%. I'm going to leave tomorrow with a full charge and see if I can make it a full day.

absolute_

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is available I would like to do a test. We could decide a common task and everyone would perform it on their Titan. Then we would compare the battery level drained during that time. I would choose something that lasts at least twenty minutes, maybe like playing a video? Who agrees?

absolute_

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, just to be sure. Today I unplugged my Titan and then I barely used it: just had two phone calls (ten minutes in total) two texts, twenty minutes of music, ten minutes of browsing and five mails with pushmail. Wifi off, bluetooth off, chat off, 3G on and GPS on (but I didn't use any app that required it). I went to contacts once, so it might have checked for facebook updates.
Now it's been ten hours since last charge and it says 49%, nine hours left (with everything off, in fact if I activate battery saver it turns to just ten hours left).

Does this sound normal to you? Because I find it weird that I unplug my phone after a night of charging and it says "fifteen hours left" when in standby... Considering it was one day and ten hours as I unboxed it for the first time...
And this is the second Titan I use, I returned the first one because I thought the battery was faulty. So I'd like to understand whether the problem it's me or the phone...

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I just had my phone last 2 days (as per the Battery Saver Settings page) and it was at 20%. I have 3 email accounts pulling every hour, as well as the me tile, the marketplace, a group of close friends (12 all with Facebook profiles) with their own start screen tile, accuweather, wpcentral, and engadget all pulling their updates. I didn't use the phone quite as much as I normally do, but I did send/recieve around 100 texts, made a few short (a couple minutes each) phone calls, check some scores at ESPN's website, and surfed a tiny bit (maybe 20 minutes). I am very pleased with that performance. Battery Saver was kicked on this morning when I woke up and checked it, but I think it kicks on at 20% anyway, so that must have just happened.

Scorpion Danny

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are experiencing poor battery life...

I thought maybe it was just because I was playing with it a lot since I just got it a week ago more or less, but I'm starting to think there might be an issue. After reading the kind of usage you guys are posting about and the resulting battery drainage, I think my battery is not lasting enough.

Last time since charged is around 9 hours now and I have about 30% left. I have barely used my phone today. Made a couple of calls lasting less than 15 mins. Sent and received approximately 10-15 text messages. Downloaded two apps and ran them briefly. Ran Kinectimals briefly to show a friend. Checked a couple of apps to read up on news. And that's about it. Yesterday my phone died on me at about 10 hours with a bit more usage since my kids where playing fruit ninja for a bit.

But it seems to me that it should be lasting longer since all I have read about is how great the battery life is considering the size of the screen and the processer speed.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Last time since charged is around 9 hours now and I have about 30% left. I have barely used my phone today. Made a couple of calls lasting less than 15 mins. Sent and received approximately 10-15 text messages. Downloaded two apps and ran them briefly. Ran Kinectimals briefly to show a friend. Checked a couple of apps to read up on news. And that's about it. Yesterday my phone died on me at about 10 hours with a bit more usage since my kids where playing fruit ninja for a bit.

But it seems to me that it should be lasting longer since all I have read about is how great the battery life is considering the size of the screen and the processer speed.

What is your normal signal like? That can play a BIG role, especially if you have background tasks using your data connection (ESPECIALLY uploads but downloads too to a lesser degree). If you have a good signal your phone transmits at a lower power level since it doesn't need to in order to be heard. In areas with a lower quality signal it will kick up the transmit power until the tower can hear it. GSM (the standard used on the Titan) radios can kick up to as much as 2 watts of transmit power. Poor signal can be caused by either attenuation of the signal (due to distance or obstructions) or interference. Think of it as talking to your buddy. If you are close and in a quiet room you can get away with a soft voice. If you move further apart you will have to talk progressively louder in order to be heard. Same thing if your are in a noisy environment, you have to speak louder.

tl;dr If you have a bad signal your battery life will suffer.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
A few things you can check:
If you have a low signal, try using wifi instead if it is available.
If wifi access is not available, turn it off completely.
If you aren't using bluetooth, turn it off.
Turn off push email, set it to every 15-30 minutes.
Make sure screen brightness is set to automatic or even low.
Ensure the setting for more frequent location updates is not enabled.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
While I am not a teen - sending hundreds of text messages per day - I do use my phone in a typical fashion. I have left wifi on and have gotten over 2 days of usage with the phone on multiple occasions. I turned off wifi for comparison, and have achieved the same. As someone who had to plug in his Epic 4g at 4pm in order to make it through the workday, I am extremely happy with the battery life of my device.

I came from an Epic 4G and IF I ever made it to 4 PM without having charged it over lunch (1.5-2 hours) I would have rejoiced.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I finally charged my Titan today after 27 hours. Granted, that includes while I'm sleeping but I still have emails getting pushed during that time. I make two or three phone calls a day. Send/Recieve about 50 texts or so. I also only have Edge in my area :( However, there are times when I lose signal completely in buildings or only have 1 bar. I browse the internet almost constantly (Facebook and Twitter). I don't use the fb app though because of how slow it loads. I play an occasional game but not every day. And that is how my usage generally goes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett