View Poll Results: Are you having in Call Voice Quality issue with your Titan?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 62.40%
  • No

47 37.60%
09-02-2012 09:34 AM
152 1234 ...
tools
    I did some more testing by leaving myself a voicemail. In addition to my other findings (in the "microphone" thread), it seems as if there is a very aggressive noise reduction threshold set for voice calls. This in particular is not a microphone problem, but a firmware problem.

Some of the strange noises people hear on the other end is possibly your voice being filtered at the threshold for that aggressive noise reduction.

But, as I mentioned in my other thread, the cover itself also appears to cause distortion or at least a clarity issue, when I tested with 720p stereo video.

One thing does bother me and that is not knowing if my phone is behaving the same as everyone else's.
    12-12-2011 08:39 PM
    Yea after hearing of a few people saying they are getting replacement units sounding good I'm very tempted to.try it.out. My.local stores are short of titans but hopefully soon
    12-12-2011 08:43 PM
    I just don't feel like going through all that hassle for an unknown result. In other words, it is not clear to me at all that my particular phone has an actual manufacturing defect.

I know that when I left myself that test voicemail, it seemed like the phone wasn't far from my mouth at all before the noise reduction basically just totally cut it off. They need to fix this. I was talking in a quiet room, not the subway.
    12-12-2011 08:59 PM
    I just don't feel like going through all that hassle for an unknown result. In other words, it is not clear to me at all that my particular phone has an actual manufacturing defect.

I know that when I left myself that test voicemail, it seemed like the phone wasn't far from my mouth at all before the noise reduction basically just totally cut it off. They need to fix this. I was talking in a quiet room, not the subway.
    that's true. That was my other issue as much as muddy sound was the cutting off my voice. People saying that they could not hear words or phrases at all during course of conversations. I tried everything, speaker handset, close , far away, medium distance. No joy
    12-12-2011 09:08 PM
    Did a video test. I left the video settings at default and kept the case on. Gotta say, the mic sounds pretty good when recording video.

EDIT:

Decided to do two other videos and combine them into one. Everything is normal in the first video. The second video I cover up the noise canceling mic. The third video I cover up both mics. I noticed a significant drop in quality once both mics were covered. Even still, the audio is a lot better in video versus phone calls. Perhaps a firmware update is all that's needed?

Last edited by HeyCori; 12-12-2011 at 11:31 PM.
    12-12-2011 11:06 PM
    Also got a chance to test out the call quality while I was at the AT&T store earlier. I called one of the reps on his work phone. He again confirmed that call quality was suspect. Though, truth be told, his Galaxy SII sounded kind of hollow too.

We tried the demo Titan there and there wasn't much of a change. The rep said it sounded slightly better after trying out a different sim card. For that test I called my own Titan using their store phone and it seemed better. I left with the new sim but afterwards called my girl. She said she didn't have trouble understanding me but I did sound kind of low.
    12-12-2011 11:50 PM
    Did a video test. I left the video settings at default and kept the case on. Gotta say, the mic sounds pretty good when recording video.

EDIT:

Decided to do two other videos and combine them into one. Everything is normal in the first video. The second video I cover up the noise canceling mic. The third video I cover up both mics. I noticed a significant drop in quality once both mics were covered. Even still, the audio is a lot better in video versus phone calls. Perhaps a firmware update is all that's needed?

I believe the top mic is used during stereo recording for the left channel and the regular mouth piece mic is the right channel. The entire back of the phone seems to act like a mic though. But if you take the cover off, the two end mics basically significantly sharpen in their response. There's no "back cover effect" and you can cover them much more effectively. You can also hear the right and left channels WAY better than when the cover is on.

But I agree, audio quality in video is quite good, which is why I think the mics themselves should be ok.
    12-13-2011 05:31 AM
    I posted this in another thread as well:

After having the issue yesterday morning, on my way home from work, I called both my father and my fiance'. They both said I sounded as if I was on a COMPLETELY different phone and that I sounded "crystal clear".

I'm starting to think the issue could be two-fold: 1) The cell tower you're connected to (NOT THE SIGNAL STRENGTH) and 2) The environment you're in (maybe an issue with the noise cancellation technology?).

I had the issue at work which is rather noisy at times, and was in a semi-quiet (only slight road noise) vehicle when the quality was at its best.

Just my 2 cents.

-Dolemike
    12-13-2011 10:03 AM
    Sounds like everyone did more testing last night.

I combined some of the suspected causes....
    After playing around with a free voice recorder, I now understand what everyone means by the whole back of the phone is a microphone. It sounds as though someone is tapping on a microphone to test it whenever I move the phone around. Seconds after I move the phone or knock on the back, the noise cancellation kicks in and and drops the volume of the call in an attempt to cover up the suspected noise. This muffles all audio for a short time and then it returns to normal.

Call quality with the back removed is significantly better. I still plan on exchanging the phone... once I find out which ATT actually has other titans to test that idea.

As for the SIM card idea... I did use my old SIM rather than taking the new one included in my order. I just don't see how this could affect call quality...
    12-13-2011 10:19 AM
    I'm not surprised HTC hasn't heard about this yet. Its hard to track down unless the person your talking to actually says something. I have only had 1 comment about sounding muffled, but people have asked me to repeat myself a couple times.
    12-13-2011 11:01 AM
    At the level of my problem, almost everyone says something within 10 minutes.
    12-13-2011 11:33 AM
    I'm actually having this problem with my Focus S. It doesn't do it all the time though. It seems like it only happens when I'm laying down on my back, very strange.
    12-13-2011 12:04 PM
    I just tested phone with 1) normal voice call; 2) speakerphone call; 3) call using corded headset.

#1 and #2 sounded awful...like am radio inside a tackle box. However,#3, with headset mix, was fine. I was convinced by the careful tests you all have done already... This one supports the growing consensus that this is most likely a physical mic problem w/ the device itself.

Hard Hard to know what that might mean for a fix...and how to decide within 30 days (more like 14 days left for me...)
    12-13-2011 06:24 PM
    I just tested phone with 1) normal voice call; 2) speakerphone call; 3) call using corded headset.

#1 and #2 sounded awful...like am radio inside a tackle box. However,#3, with headset mix, was fine. I was convinced by the careful tests you all have done already... This one supports the growing consensus that this is most likely a physical mic problem w/ the device itself.

Hard Hard to know what that might mean for a fix...and how to decide within 30 days (more like 14 days left for me...)
    FWIW, I have the same HTC headset (corded, not Bluetooth) that shipped with Titans in Europe. Came with my non-functional US Trophy..
    12-13-2011 06:26 PM
    My brother and I also have Titans, and we have the same voice call quality issues. I have made voice notes with the back on and off and when the shell is off my voice is very sharp and strong. With the shell on, my voice is muffled again. So, I pulled the shell off of the titan and pushed a pushpin tack up through the mic hole on the outer shell casing to make it larger, and when I did my test again my voice still sounded muffled it sounded a bit better. So I went big, I got the smallest drill bit I had (I think a 1/16 or smaller), and drilled a larger hole very carefully, and now I sound really good.

I can't help but think that there is a design flaw in the shell design. Like the mic and the mic hole do not line up right, thereby making the microphone muffled.
    Anyways, this is something that worked for me...
    Attached pic is how the bottom of my Titan looks after drilling a larger hole.

If you do this, please remember to REMOVE the TITAN from the shell FIRST! You only want to drill the outer plastic shell, not the phone itself...lol.
    12-13-2011 07:06 PM
    My brother and I also have Titans, and we have the same voice call quality issues. I have made voice notes with the back on and off and when the shell is off my voice is very sharp and strong. With the shell on, my voice is muffled again. So, I pulled the shell off of the titan and pushed a pushpin tack up through the mic hole on the outer shell casing to make it larger, and when I did my test again my voice still sounded muffled it sounded a bit better. So I went big, I got the smallest drill bit I had (I think a 1/16 or smaller), and drilled a larger hole very carefully, and now I sound really good.

I can't help but think that there is a design flaw in the shell design. Like the mic and the mic hole do not line up right, thereby making the microphone muffled.

If you do this, please remember to REMOVE the TITAN from the shell FIRST! You only want to drill the outer plastic shell, not the phone itself...lol.

THAT's what I'm talking about!

So do you think the improvement is worth voiding our exchange/return policy and just "fixing" it? or is it suspect and needs more testing?

thanks so much for taking the plunge
    12-13-2011 07:27 PM
    Since the mic hole is on the bottom of the phone could it be getting filled with lint?
    12-13-2011 07:31 PM
    Since the mic hole is on the bottom of the phone could it be getting filled with lint?
    sure but that's not causing these issues on my phone. it's clean as a whistle, i have the case off every day trying to get it to work better :lol:
    12-13-2011 08:01 PM
    Do you happen to have before and after recordings of yourself that you could share? I want to make sure this is worth it before I void my warranty.
    12-13-2011 09:00 PM

Video sounds fine. It's not just a mic issue alone. I would recommend people not drill holes in their phones.
    12-13-2011 10:44 PM
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but do most users with voice quality issues have the US AT&T version? Is the international version affected?
    12-13-2011 10:51 PM
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but do most users with voice quality issues have the US AT&T version? Is the international version affected?
    Ours are US AT&T.
    Also do not discount that when using TANGO the sound is crystal clear (at lease for our units).
    lemonsteveo likes this.
    12-13-2011 11:05 PM

good question

US ATT here as well

I'm going to guess that EU got a slightly different version or it is simply the ATT network
    12-14-2011 01:59 AM
    good question

US ATT here as well

I'm going to guess that EU got a slightly different version or it i
    s simply the ATT network
    US as well
    12-14-2011 04:10 AM

In terms of design, maybe. But the part itself is fine, I suspect. Try a 720p stereo video. Very good audio.

I'd like to see what is possible with a firmware update before I drill. But we need a reliable way to make HTC know about our issues.
    12-14-2011 05:40 AM
152 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD