Call Voice quality issues

Are you having in Call Voice Quality issue with your Titan?

• Yes

Votes: 76 61.8%
  • No

Votes: 47 38.2%

• Total voters

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Well.... I went back to At&T switched out phones.. AND the underwater issue seems to be resolved.

The new phone feels different in the hand. I can't explain why other than it seems like the back fits a lil more tightly on the phone. (The coating on the back seems slightly different as well but that can be in my head)

Anyway, I'm glad I switched out phones and would recommend it to everyone before the 30 days runs out.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Well.... I went back to At&T switched out phones.. AND the underwater issue seems to be resolved.

The new phone feels different in the hand. I can't explain why other than it seems like the back fits a lil more tightly on the phone. (The coating on the back seems slightly different as well but that can be in my head)

Anyway, I'm glad I switched out phones and would recommend it to everyone before the 30 days runs out.

Do you still have light bleed on the Windows symbol?

Also, did you keep the same SIM?

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... not sure I'm even familiar of the lightbleed issue...and I'm afraid that if you point it out to me it will bother me for the next two years.

The guy insisted I finally install the "4G" sim card that came with the phone, because he said I wouldn't have access to the full speed of the device if I didn't use it. I had previously kept the old phone sim in part out of laziness and also bc I didn't want to risk losing my unlimited data plan. With the old sim, I knew it was unlimted because the name of the plan was "Iphone Unlimed" then they went and renamed it something stupid. I ordered the phone at 3am the sat after thanksgiving after watching LSU woop up on Georgia. I was in no mood to try to figure out the new naming system.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The mac version of WP Connect has a backup and restore feature. Haven't used it yet but can't see why it wouldn't work.

Click to view quoted image

Oh come on you have to be kidding me. WTF is MS thinking. Why does zune not do a restore yet?

I have another full week to see if I have any sound issues, but none really so far. No one I have talked to has said they can not hear me or I sound bad. So I may be a lucky one.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Man you guys have me thinking I should swap mine out. Think I'll go Monday and see how it goes. My local store does not have any in stock so going to have to check around

Does anyone know that if I exchange and it's not better if I can swap it back for a different model before the 30 day again?

Last edited:

jshay

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
We picked up 3 Titans on the Black Friday sale from Best Buy
All 3 have the same issue call Audio is muffled and hissing/crackling in ear and when speaker is on.
Music and Video is perfectly clear.
We will return them for new ones soon, before the 30 days is up.

Ruslan.al

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

Did you feel the difference with you new phone only when you inserted a new SIM? Did you have a chance to test it with the old one? This is important.
Thanks.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if you really did have a bad phone and now you've gone from unusable to merely below average. Mine's not unusable.

mYth

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't surprise me. For some reason HTC as of late has had some poor quality as a far as phones go.

My 3 different HD7S' had bad battery doors, light leaks, and poor poor call quality.

Swapping your SIM can help with some call quality issues, but it wouldn't surprise me if the phone is behind most of the issues.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if you really did have a bad phone and now you've gone from unusable to merely below average. Mine's not unusable.

I'm in the same boat. Call quality still falls within the usable range. I don't make a lot of phone calls but so far no one has complained. However, when I switched phones with a friend I could hear myself how muffled I sounded. I'm willing to give another phone a shot but my current Titan isn't a paperweight. I'm confident I can make a phone call and know that the other person can understand me fine, but I would prefer a different Titan if it actually showed a significant improvement in audio quality. Unfortunately, every single AT&T store in my Area is sold out. I'd have to drive a hour+ to switch out phones. Doesn't seem worth it when the only person complaining about call quality is me.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Call quality still falls within the usable range. I don't make a lot of phone calls but so far no one has complained. However, when I switched phones with a friend I could hear myself how muffled I sounded. I'm willing to give another phone a shot but my current Titan isn't a paperweight. I'm confident I can make a phone call and know that the other person can understand me fine, but I would prefer a different Titan if it actually showed a significant improvement in audio quality. Unfortunately, every single AT&T store in my Area is sold out. I'd have to drive a hour+ to switch out phones. Doesn't seem worth it when the only person complaining about call quality is me.

I am thinking/hoping that for us, a firmware update will take care of it.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if it could be as simple as the fit of the back cover...if not firmware fix, then replacement of (our) potentially ill-fitting/faulty back covers.

Mine is pretty bad voice-wise. I don't make many calls, but those I do make are lengthy. Have already swapped twice: once for random screen-freeze; next because replacement died from reboots within hours of activation. Swap for voice quality would be the third. I k ow ai should do it, but after last one was worse rather than better, I am leery. I also give WP phones (overall) and Titan (specifically) a bad name: they remember me and wind up believing that Windows phones suck..no matter how much I rave about

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
My brother and I also have Titans, and we have the same voice call quality issues. I have made voice notes with the back on and off and when the shell is off my voice is very sharp and strong. With the shell on, my voice is muffled again. So, I pulled the shell off of the titan and pushed a pushpin tack up through the mic hole on the outer shell casing to make it larger, and when I did my test again my voice still sounded muffled it sounded a bit better. So I went big, I got the smallest drill bit I had (I think a 1/16 or smaller), and drilled a larger hole very carefully, and now I sound really good.

I can't help but think that there is a design flaw in the shell design. Like the mic and the mic hole do not line up right, thereby making the microphone muffled.
Anyways, this is something that worked for me...
Attached pic is how the bottom of my Titan looks after drilling a larger hole.

If you do this, please remember to REMOVE the TITAN from the shell FIRST! You only want to drill the outer plastic shell, not the phone itself...lol.

PLEASE update us... has this solved all of your issues??

thanks

Ruslan.al

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
We got 4 ours from MS store on Black Friday.

Today we went to the ATT store first to change
our SIM cards to the latest with 4G support, so we did. It didn't help/fix the
muffling sound quality of the phones during calls.

We tried the ATT Titan that was on the display to figure out if it's a problem with our phone rather than the one on display. We can be 100% sure (it was tied to the display, so we couldn't change level of noise/environment) but noticed that the display phone sounded better.

ATT rep has tried our phone himself and he confirmed the muffling problem. He also made a note on our account about this issue and suggested to go to the MS store.

We went to the Microsoft store where we bought our phones 3 weeks ago. We talked to an employee and told him that ATT store employee confirmed
that there was a problem with the muffling sounds. We showed the Microsoft
store employee our phones and he heard the muffling sound himself during the phone call. After that, he offered to exchange our phones on what they have in stock (they had 3 left from the first batch from which we even got ours). So we tested 2 their brand new Titan phones, but the sound was exactly the same (muffled). Now, we are just waiting for them to receive a new batch and hopefully we will be able to exchange it to the normal sounded units.

If not, we have to wait for some firmware upgrade.

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Did you feel the difference with you new phone only when you inserted a new SIM? Did you have a chance to test it with the old one? This is important.
Thanks.

I just saw in the other thread that you determined that the SIMs aren't the problem.

I took some pictures of the back of my new phone to compare if that helps.. I'll post in a lil. I really can't determine what the difference is, but I know there is a difference. The old cover felt as though there was some give between the cover and the phone. That isn't present anymore. It feels more like one unit. (Wish I had asked the att employee to compare them now.)

It really feels like a different finish to the cover too. (but again I didn't compare them at the same time.)

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
My mic quality has improved a good bit since I took a pen tip and widened the hole in the foam that sits behind the mic hole on the case. And to my surprise, it also decreased the incredible static-like noise that would occur when I moved my hand on the case during a call. It's not perfect now, but it's loads better than it was before. It still seems to pick up more of the lows than the highs, but it no longer sounds like I need to be rescued by the Coast Guard.

PammyLZ

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
PLEASE update us... has this solved all of your issues??

thanks

Sorry. I've been pretty sick in the past week. I've had a nasty cold.

I called my brother, who also has a Titan, and he said that my voice is a lot louder and a bit more clear (probably because I come through louder, he can hear me better. He always said that I sounded muffled and far away.) He actually had to turn down the volume on his titan because I was so much more louder. However, he said I still sounded a little bit garbled still. But, he remarked that I sounded so much better that he might want me to drill a hole in his Titan. I'll be seeing him this weekend, so maybe he'll take the plunge.

The fix I did has improved the situation, but there is still an issue there. What it is, I don't know. But, I do not regret drilling into the shell. It has made an improvement, but it is not the total fix to the problem.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Pammy.

Here is what I did and I am encouraged by results. Do not know why it helped as it is unscientific to change more than one variable at once but I didn't care ;)

I removed back cover and carefully enlarged the mix hole on a drill press looks great can't even tell.

Removed the little foam piece inside hole.

I reset the phone complete start over

Changed to a new 4g card

Called 611 and had them assign correct IMEI number of phone to my sim card (it still had my Focus S there)

Drilled out hole of aftermarket case near mix

Results... Very encouraging. My tests to voicemail I sound clearer and so far today I have asked 5 people if they can hear me and they all said sounded very good. one other note in a quiet room speaker phone where I am speaking directly into mix upside down sounds best. Handset sounds good or better

Don't know I'd suggest drilling until exchange period expires but at least call and be sure ATT has your device as TITAN and imei number attached correctly and maybe try a reset (be sure you are backed up to the cloud-- you can DL ll of your apps form your PC easily by going to your device in LIVE account. Only have to re-sync photos and music form PC. )

Your imei and sim card numbers are listed in the About section of settings more info. Even though it is still muffled at times, I have much less background noise in phone and it definitely works better without an aftermarket case
Edit: mix= MIC. Autocorrect

Last edited:

artzznyzz

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Lousy sound - final return - back to tilt -2

REGRETS on prior positive post on sound quality . . .

Sound on replacement unit was better than on original unit. But now clearly inadequate - NOT up to business / professional standards. Quality seems variable, although generally sub-par to poor. I'll try one more 'replacement' exchange, & then let you know.

Over three + weeks I used three different Titans. None had acceptable sound quality (muffled, underwater, break-ups, frequency shifts, etc., etc.)

TESTING NOTE:
- DO NOT judge sound by asking how you sound on your Titan. (This is too subjective.)
- YOU SHOULD GIVE YOUR TITAN TO SOMEONE, AND THEN CALL IT FROM A LANDLINE. (YOU CAN EASILY ALSO CALL YOUR FRIEND'S OTHER CELL & LANDLINES FOR COMPARISON.)

Other perceived problems included:
- Calls dropping, even where I have good reception;
- Random resets, (& beeps, even at night);
- Flakey sych, esp with sky drive;
- Inability to select range of cells in Excel Mobile;
- No directory structure for saved files;
- Saved files only available (only identified) by name;
- Some phone numbers (which were synced via Microsoft Exchange 2010) were on the Titan, but not available for viewing nor calling, only showing up on caller ID;
- Documentation is an embarrasement - not ready for daylignt . . .
- etc.
- etc.

WHAT a DISAPPOINTMENT.

I cancelled the upgrade, full refund, restored plan, and am back on my old AT&T HTC Tilt-2.

LAST IMPRESSIONS:
- On AT&T the Tilt-2 sound is consistiently much better than Titan, although not as good as Thunderbolt, etc on Verizon);
- Tilt touch screen is more reliable;
- But the tilt is slow;
- Titan mapping is much better, (although I personally prefer the google maps over the bing, and the voice navigation prompts tend to anoy if not shut off)
- Titan keyboard is a little too small & sloppy in vertical orientation, and akwardly positioned in landscape if the USB charger is plugged in;
- Titan use of Zune is anoying - I want a business tool, not a music / social networking toy.

OVERALL, I am very disappointed - I wanted this to work. Now waiting for Nokia 800 or 900, or maybe I'll jump to Verizon . . .

TitanUser

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Terrible call quality!!!

My whole family is having terrible call quality with our Titans. We even went to the ATT store to try experiemtning with new devices (we've only had ours for a week) and even new ones out of the box sounded terrible. Everyone is complaining that I sound marbled and distorted. This isn't acceptable -- HTC, if this isn't fixed, we wont have any choice other than to return these devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss