View Poll Results: Are you having in Call Voice Quality issue with your Titan?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 62.40%
  • No

47 37.60%
09-02-2012 10:34 AM
152 ... 4567
tools
    I just don't get it. Sometimes people hear me fine, other times can't hear a word I say. All HTC has told me is to do a factory reset, that they have never heard of this issue. For some reason, if I have 1 bar of signal, I am muffled 100% of the time. I get 1 bar at my house and can't talk on this phone. Confused I am!
    12-27-2011 10:18 AM
    Are all your friends on AT&T network?
    I don't know which networks they are on. However, I just contacted one that said I was clear, and she is on T-Mobile.

Edit: Called another (Verizon) and she told me I was "kinda quiet". No complaints of being muffled, though (I asked). I was speaking a little more quietly than normal, but I don't think it was the main cause... maybe? Don't know; you be the judge.

Found out that one of the friends who told me I was clear is on ATT.

Anyway, after reading the top mic noise-cancellation issue, I strongly believe it is that now. In any case, I think I will stick with my current Titan and be wary of my speaking volume until a workaround is found and/or software/firmware fix is available.
    Last edited by SolunaKitty; 12-27-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Additional info
    12-27-2011 09:23 PM
    It's really important that if you live in the US, you call HTC at 866-449-8358 to report the issue. Describe it as call quality and microphone issue. I did. The more people report this, the more they will escalate and tell us the issue and whether it's fixable.

Also, please post in which country you live. There's been chatter that those in Europe are not having this microphone call quality issue, whereas in North America/US we are. Doing this will help confirm that it's likely firmware and not hardware.
    12-28-2011 12:49 AM
    I had this issue with the "muffle sound" as well and could not deal with it. Took it back to the AT&T store. I need my phone to function as a phone first and foremost. I really wanted to like the Titan as its a great phone, but its almost as if HTC did not a give a zhit that call quality blew on this model and just wanted to get it out the masses.

I have had plenty of HTC devices going way back to the WM days and while some suffered reception and batter life issues (android mostly), I was overall pleased with the device. But the most basic function of a phone not working correctly is a glaring omission of QC.

Cmon HTC....get your zhit together and fix this please :)
    12-28-2011 12:19 PM
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/185144.htm

There are a number of users who have successfully mitigated their muffled microphone issue on the Titan, described in the above thread. I will test today.

Please test and report to the above thread.
    12-29-2011 11:51 AM
    I got a call from HTC Escalation team this morning. The rep says that they are trying to find a "good" units for tests and me (we have 5 units) to participate. They already aware of this problem and it's a software that actually will be patched. Hopefully this will happen soon.
    12-29-2011 06:39 PM
    Why!!! Did I return it??? I had a focus s for back up... Dang me and my over reaction. :(

I am so coveting a Titan right now.
    12-29-2011 06:49 PM
    I got a call from HTC Escalation team this morning. The rep says that they are trying to find a "good" units for tests and me (we have 5 units) to participate. They already aware of this problem and it's a software that actually will be patched. Hopefully this will happen soon.
    Excellent news - thanks. Keep us updated.
    12-29-2011 07:08 PM
    Why would they need a "good" unit if it is software?
    12-29-2011 08:17 PM
    My future father in law went and got a Titan today.

1) Had reception issues where his old Android didn't
    2) I finally got to hear what "muffled" sounds like when he called me. I'm on day 33 but I think if I were on day 29 I'd take it back and get a Focus S.
    3) He's on his way to exchange for a Focus S.
    01-03-2012 08:41 PM
    Just to comment, I live in Europe and have the muffled issue as well. I had a call yesterday and one of my friend told me I sound muffled (like HF in car really or far away from the phone), so I opened the phone, covered the second microphone with tape and did another test call to the same person. Immediately he said it is much better. HTC, bring on fix for this and for Wifi issues.
    01-04-2012 03:23 AM
    Contacted HTC via email about muffled sound quality when using the speaker phone. This is their response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at HTC. We are sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with speaker phone on your HTC Titan.

We are aware of this troubling issue and we are working closely with your carrier to develop a maintenance release to correct it. Our developers are currently working on this and we hope to have an update available for you soon. We do not yet have an ETA to provide for you. To stay on top of release dates for upgrades and new devices, you can follow our social network feeds on Twitter and Facebook, or our official website at htc.com/us. However, you will receive direct notification to your device once this is available for download and installation.
    01-17-2012 08:37 AM
    Just got my wife an AT&T Titan after researching Titan's mic issue and sure enough it does have the muffled microphone issue. My wife loves the phone way better than her old iPhone. I am convinced it is a software/firmware issue. When talking on the Titan it sounds like the mic cuts in and out, I think this has to do with HTC using the other mics for active noise cancellation. The phone seems to have better call quality when in a quiet area versus a loud or noisy environment. Hopefully this can be tweaked through software. Honestly everything else is so awesome about this phone the call quality issue is not a deal breaker for now. The screen size rocks!

First experience with wp7.5 and I'm truly impressed. I'm glad to see MS is in the game to win. Can't even list all the things my wife and I love about this phone. Glad I've skipped android so far from what I've read.
    01-21-2012 06:08 PM

The screen on the Titan is quite amazing isn't it ?

I have one too and no problems with my mic fortunately.

Hope they come up with a mic fix soon for the AT&T Titan.

Welcome along to WPCentral RogBott. :)
    01-21-2012 06:14 PM
    Just got my wife an AT&T Titan after researching Titan's mic issue and sure enough it does have the muffled microphone issue. My wife loves the phone way better than her old iPhone. I am convinced it is a software/firmware issue. When talking on the Titan it sounds like the mic cuts in and out, I think this has to do with HTC using the other mics for active noise cancellation. The phone seems to have better call quality when in a quiet area versus a loud or noisy environment. Hopefully this can be tweaked through software. Honestly everything else is so awesome about this phone the call quality issue is not a deal breaker for now. The screen size rocks!

First experience with wp7.5 and I'm truly impressed. I'm glad to see MS is in the game to win. Can't even list all the things my wife and I love about this phone. Glad I've skipped android so far from what I've read.
    Try the suggestion here. Hope it helps!
    01-22-2012 11:34 PM
    I have had major issues with my HTC Titan. If I try to usenthenhandset to speak NTO the people on the other end say I'm too far away from the phone to hear me. It also has possibly the worst reception of any phone I've owned. BTW: this is my third phone and the same issues exist. Nokia 900, where are you?
    pixeline likes this.
    03-07-2012 08:46 PM
    Hello, Ken1ceo:

I had posted several times in November both here and on XDA-Developers about my same sound problems which rendered all three of the Titan's which I tried completely unusable. At the time there were numerous other people posting about the same problems (and others) in these forums. Since then I've seen absolutely no reports of the problem being successfully resolved.

So, I did return all three Titans and went back to my Tilt-2 and out of contract status for the time being. I am also awaiting March 18th (the rumored release date for both the 900, and also the Titan II).

But on to a more troubling note: I've noticed that this, and other, very real problems are almost never mentioned in the reviews and ratings posted on the carrier and retailer sites. They all claim their offered phones are rated by their "real" consumers at ~4.2 - 4.7 - 5.0!

The message - Enthusist blogs are the only reliable source of information. We can not trust the manufacgturers to correct their problems. And we can not trust the carriers & retailers to priovide honest reviews.

(This problem with phony 'bought and paid for' "consumer" reviews has been widely reported in recent weeks in the press, such as the New York Times.)

Buyer Beware . . .

Meantime, thanks for your input.
    Artzznyzz
    03-08-2012 11:04 AM
    Hello, Ken1ceo:

I had posted several times in November both here and on XDA-Developers about my same sound problems which rendered all three of the Titan's which I tried completely unusable. At the time there were numerous other people posting about the same problems (and others) in these forums. Since then I've seen absolutely no reports of the problem being successfully resolved.

So, I did return all three Titans and went back to my Tilt-2 and out of contract status for the time being. I am also awaiting March 18th (the rumored release date for both the 900, and also the Titan II).

But on to a more troubling note: I've noticed that this, and other, very real problems are almost never mentioned in the reviews and ratings posted on the carrier and retailer sites. They all claim their offered phones are rated by their "real" consumers at ~4.2 - 4.7 - 5.0!

The message - Enthusist blogs are the only reliable source of information. We can not trust the manufacgturers to correct their problems. And we can not trust the carriers & retailers to priovide honest reviews.

(This problem with phony 'bought and paid for' "consumer" reviews has been widely reported in recent weeks in the press, such as the New York Times.)

Buyer Beware . . .

Meantime, thanks for your input.
    Artzznyzz
    Reviews sites have sponsors so its whoever is footing the bill they will cater to.
    At least on CNET among one aspect of the review they do have a sound clip of how the audio sound on a particualar phone by leaving a voice message on a land line. So listen to Titan on that and then like listen to Venue Pro (which I have now) almost a night a day difference. I would expect Titan II not to be any different with call audio quality since the can't figure out the Titan I call audio problem. I can't believe that people put up with this kind of quality. It's great to have all the other features but it is a phone after all too. I guess I am alone in this.
    03-08-2012 01:26 PM
    Mine has been serviceable enough to have patience. Each day I keep thinking to myself that, overall, I am very happy with my Titan. But that doesn't mean I don't want someone to be working on improvements. I'm still steamed about not getting real HSPA+ speeds. I still have never seen anyone post a speedtest that suggests real HSPA+ category 10 speeds.
    03-11-2012 09:35 AM
    If you get a Bluetooth earpiece, will that bypass the call quality issue. I have a Titan and this is becoming a problem.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express
    03-13-2012 01:18 PM
    Wife's Titan is muffled 80% of the time I talk to her. It is strange that once in while she does sound somewhat clear.

Has ATT or HTC acknowledged this issue anywhere?
    03-14-2012 01:11 AM
    There was voice quality fix investigation a while back. It worked for me. Just be wary of taking over where the sound comes out of.
    03-14-2012 08:54 AM
    Hello, SCDKad,

While there was an ordinary user who claimed an instant message (or e-mail?) exchange with HTC acknowledging the problem, I've seen nothing from HTC owning up to it, nor offering a fix to existing Titan (Is) already sold.

And no mention here nor at XDA of anyone who had been experiencing the problem, and then having it cured.

Moreover, the last Titans which I've tried at AT&T corporate stores all had the problem.

It appears that a few people experienced some level of improvement when either (i) further reeming out the voice input hole at the bottom of the case, or (ii) holding the phone so as to speak more directly into the hole, or so as not to cover up the hole - BUT THISE SEEM TO BE ONLY MINIMAL IMPROVEMENTS, not addressing what may be the real issues.

The consunsus seems to be that the problem stems from a few hardware & software conditions, which intermittently but generally interact:
    (i) The noise cancelling secondary pickup microphone & software cancel out way too much true speach;
    (ii) The all metal back of the phone, which is part of the antenna system, may intermitently pick up stray (radio) signals, or be randomly 'muted' (grounded?) by the user's hand; and
    (iii) I believe the metal back picks up & transmits (to the mic as noise signal) any minimal vibration from shifts in the contact with the user's hand or surface upon which the phone may be resting.

(In all fairness, the sound problem does not seem to occur when the mic is bypassed by use of a bluetooth, or wired headset, or for some, buy use of speakerphone. Not exactly part of the advertised 'features' - more of a bug . . .)

I am disappointed that ATT & HTC do not address this, instead only selling hardware out of inventory.

I did love the potential of the Titan (I) & hoped this would be cleaned up for the I, or at least acknowledged and corrected on the Titan II. But, as ATT & HTC have ignored it, we will have to look to other manufacturers for an AT&T LTE WP7.

Or, alternatively, go kicking & screaming, to another platform.

NOTE TO ANYONE FROM AT&t or HTC WHO MAY BE LURKING & MONITORING THIS FORUM:
    I'd truly appreciate your comments. If you private mail me, with info so I may identify your affiliation, then I will respond directly to your comments.

Artzznyzz
    Diamondx_8 and scdkad like this.
    03-15-2012 11:04 AM
    Wow. I was sad to give up on Titan back in December. Feeling better about walking away from Titan having seen that very little has changed since then. I'm sorry, guys - I know it stinks - I have been there! Good luck...
    03-18-2012 05:53 PM
    I bought an HTC Titan for the 1 cent sale they had. I was leery after reading about this, and I am afraid that I can confirm that the new device has the issue as well. It's going back. Going to use my Samsung Focus for now.
    03-19-2012 10:15 AM
152 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD