Call Voice quality issues

Are you having in Call Voice Quality issue with your Titan?

• Yes

Votes: 76 61.8%
  • No

Votes: 47 38.2%

• Total voters

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
My brother and I also have Titans, and we have the same voice call quality issues. I have made voice notes with the back on and off and when the shell is off my voice is very sharp and strong. With the shell on, my voice is muffled again. So, I pulled the shell off of the titan and pushed a pushpin tack up through the mic hole on the outer shell casing to make it larger, and when I did my test again my voice still sounded muffled it sounded a bit better. So I went big, I got the smallest drill bit I had (I think a 1/16 or smaller), and drilled a larger hole very carefully, and now I sound really good.

I can't help but think that there is a design flaw in the shell design. Like the mic and the mic hole do not line up right, thereby making the microphone muffled.
Anyways, this is something that worked for me...
Attached pic is how the bottom of my Titan looks after drilling a larger hole.

If you do this, please remember to REMOVE the TITAN from the shell FIRST! You only want to drill the outer plastic shell, not the phone itself...lol.

THAT's what I'm talking about!

So do you think the improvement is worth voiding our exchange/return policy and just "fixing" it? or is it suspect and needs more testing?

thanks so much for taking the plunge :cool:

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
My brother and I also have Titans, and we have the same voice call quality issues. I have made voice notes with the back on and off and when the shell is off my voice is very sharp and strong. With the shell on, my voice is muffled again. So, I pulled the shell off of the titan and pushed a pushpin tack up through the mic hole on the outer shell casing to make it larger, and when I did my test again my voice still sounded muffled it sounded a bit better. So I went big, I got the smallest drill bit I had (I think a 1/16 or smaller), and drilled a larger hole very carefully, and now I sound really good.
Do you happen to have before and after recordings of yourself that you could share? I want to make sure this is worth it before I void my warranty.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I can't help but think that there is a design flaw in the shell design. Like the mic and the mic hole do not line up right, thereby making the microphone muffled.
Anyways, this is something that worked for me...
Attached pic is how the bottom of my Titan looks after drilling a larger hole.

If you do this, please remember to REMOVE the TITAN from the shell FIRST! You only want to drill the outer plastic shell, not the phone itself...lol.

Video sounds fine. It's not just a mic issue alone. I would recommend people not drill holes in their phones.

lemonsteveo

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but do most users with voice quality issues have the US AT&T version? Is the international version affected?

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but do most users with voice quality issues have the US AT&T version? Is the international version affected?

good question

US ATT here as well

I'm going to guess that EU got a slightly different version or it is simply the ATT network

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I just tested phone with 1) normal voice call; 2) speakerphone call; 3) call using corded headset.

#1 and #2 sounded awful...like am radio inside a tackle box. However,#3, with headset mix, was fine. I was convinced by the careful tests you all have done already... This one supports the growing consensus that this is most likely a physical mic problem w/ the device itself.

In terms of design, maybe. But the part itself is fine, I suspect. Try a 720p stereo video. Very good audio.

I'd like to see what is possible with a firmware update before I drill. But we need a reliable way to make HTC know about our issues.

Jerryzkidz

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
In terms of design, maybe. But the part itself is fine, I suspect. Try a 720p stereo video. Very good audio.

I'd like to see what is possible with a firmware update before I drill. But we need a reliable way to make HTC know about our issues.
This really sucks, i was considering returning my ip4s for either the titan or focus s but it seems they both have significant performance issues. I would've hoped HTC improved the quality of their phones (i had an hd7s with the dreaded mic feedback issue AND zune playback issue) but it seems they're just in it for the money :-(

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to guess that EU got a slightly different version or it is simply the ATT network
I think we've ruled out the network since those of us with wired headsets receive no such complaints. In fact, I answered my phone this morning before I had a chance to plug in my headset, and my wife said I sounded terrible. I then plugged in my headset, and she said that was much better. So, it wasn't a bad connection causing the issue.

One could then argue that perhaps the wired headset is acting like an antenna (the way it does for FM radio) thus boosting the outbound signal. But that's not the case since people with bluetooth headsets also see marked improvement in mic quality.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Voice quality fine w/ wired headset, muffled without

I may be repeating myself at this point.... can't remember whether I posted this here or in related thread. I always use corded headset, so I finally tested yesterday to see whether I have this problem. Yes - voice quality is awful without headset, but fine with it.

Given that I prefer to use the headset for calls (keeping phone itself further away from my brain...) and the hope that there could be a fox for this via update (someday...), I may ride this one out and trust that it will get better.

Ruslan.al

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I may be repeating myself at this point.... can't remember whether I posted this here or in related thread. I always use corded headset, so I finally tested yesterday to see whether I have this problem. Yes - voice quality is awful without headset, but fine with it.

Given that I prefer to use the headset for calls (keeping phone itself further away from my brain...) and the hope that there could be a fox for this via update (someday...), I may ride this one out and trust that it will get better.

Can someone combine all threads about this voice quality issue?

I just posted on another thread:

Most probably when we are using a regular dialer (during the phone calls) noise cancellation software is involved and trying to make our voice "better" by removing noise. Here is where problem starts. When you using TANGO or camera or any other apps, then no noise cancellation working in background. and we getting clear sound. So in my opinion it's a 'noise cancellation' software problem. It's catch part of our voice as a noise.

When you are using the headset the 'noise cancellation' might switch into another mode. This is why voice quality is better.

artzznyzz

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Sound quality on both receiving as the caller from the Titan, and especially as the called party on a landline, VIOP, etc, was impossibly bad, totally unacceptable. When I went back to the AT&T corporate store three days ago to return the unit and go back to my Tilt-2 they 'found' a replacement unit which has GREAT sound. Looks like it's a keeper. Now I just need to figure out some software features / inconsistencies / bugs . . .
REGRETS on prior positive post on sound quality . . .

Sound on replacement unit was better than on original unit. But now clearly inadequate - NOT up to business / professional standards. Quality seems variable, although generally sub-par to poor. I'll try one more 'replacement' exchange, & then let you know.

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Found a ATT store here that has Titans in stock, I think I'll have to bite the bullet and seek an exchange to see if it helps. (I ordered online, hope I can exchange in the store) I feel like there have to be some good units out there because everyone would be complaining about this issue if not.

@artzznyzz are you doing a backup/reinstall of the phone or just manually installing everything again on the phone? I'd be scared that the backup/reinstall would "infect" the new phone with the faulty Noise reduction software (even though its unlikely that is included in the backup data). Also how are you doing a secure wipe of the data?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Found a ATT store here that has Titans in stock, I think I'll have to bite the bullet and seek an exchange to see if it helps. (I ordered online, hope I can exchange in the store) I feel like there have to be some good units out there because everyone would be complaining about this issue if not.

@artzznyzz are you doing a backup/reinstall of the phone or just manually installing everything again on the phone? I'd be scared that the backup/reinstall would "infect" the new phone with the faulty Noise reduction software (even though its unlikely that is included in the backup data). Also how are you doing a secure wipe of the data?

There's no true way to back up Windows Phones yet so I'm guessing he's just manually installing everything again. Fortunately contacts can be synced with the cloud and Zune keeps a list of installed apps.

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
The mac version of WP Connect has a backup and restore feature. Haven't used it yet but can't see why it wouldn't work.

WP_000099.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb