Microphone quality

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I was testing a voice recorder app today to see if I can hear what others are telling me about sounding muddled and underwater. My recordings sounded ok, but definitely picked up more of the low end frequencies.

One thing I'm really disappointed about however is the amount of noise the microphone picks up just from handling the phone. The back aluminum plate acts as one big echo chamber. Moving my dry winter hands in the slightest on the case causes terrible static-like noises just from the smallest movements of my hand and normal repositioning and fiddling that I would do during a phone call.

I had no intention of getting a case to put onto my Titan, but after listening to how bad this is I may have to get some sort of silicone / rubberized case. It was horrible.

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
During my recording tests, I covered the microphone on the bottom and curiously found absolutely no difference in audio recording quality.

Then, I removed the Titan's case/shell and covered the microphone again with my finger. This time, I could barely hear anything in the recording.

It almost seems as if the case is designed to be part of the microphone. Either that, or they didn't think to isolate the microphone from the outer shell of the case in any way.

After these tests, I'm really thinking about returning this phone. I don't want to slap on a rubber case just so I can use my phone as a phone (assuming that would help -- and I'd have to pay $35 to find that out).

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
During my recording tests, I covered the microphone on the bottom and curiously found absolutely no difference in audio recording quality.

Then, I removed the Titan's case/shell and covered the microphone again with my finger. This time, I could barely hear anything in the recording.

It almost seems as if the case is designed to be part of the microphone. Either that, or they didn't think to isolate the microphone from the outer shell of the case in any way.

After these tests, I'm really thinking about returning this phone. I don't want to slap on a rubber case just so I can use my phone as a phone (assuming that would help -- and I'd have to pay $35 to find that out).

you might be onto something here

I have tried mine with a solid plastic case on it and got same results as you with or without case.

There is definitely something odd going on in the mic department... damned shame as otherwise I LOVE this friggin thing.

But I need clear call quality at least audible

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I also posted in the poll thread but this is also a good place for this info...

Ok I was able to keep signal without the back cover on and made a few more calls to my voicemail and checked the voice quality....

THey were MUCH better than any of my previous calls have been. Don't know what to say. Something is up with the way the mic is in the case of the phone or there is some other interference from it. It was not muffles like my previous attempts.

I'm actually tempted to drill out the hole in the cover and see if it helps but I may be exchanging this before Christmas.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I used Pocket Recorder to test the mic with the case on and off. I actually didn't notice much of a different between the two attempts. There were a few more audio pops with the case on but that could of been coincidence. It could also be that Pocket Recorder is bad at recording sounds accurately. However, I also tested the mic on my Samsung Focus with Pocket Recorder and the sound was noticeably superior.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
But audio quality for video recording sounded good, with very good clarity including high frequencies (from the samples I've seen). So can it really be a physical mic issue?

Sent from my HTC TITAN using Board Express

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
But audio quality for video recording sounded good, with very good clarity including high frequencies (from the samples I've seen). So can it really be a physical mic issue?

Sent from my HTC TITAN using Board Express

Does video use a different mic?

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Good question. I have been assuming it uses the bottom single hole for recording one channel, and the top single hole for the other channel, since it records in stereo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos