ChevronLabs has tokens...

update: at 1:35am 12/15, I am number 40 in line...
    Last edited by tmotytn; 12-15-2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: added update
    12-15-2011 02:19 AM
    How you know what number you are???

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express
    12-15-2011 03:21 AM
    How you know what number you are???

I am running the unlock tool...under heavy traffic, it queus you up...I have been plugged into my laptop for an hour (thankfully, the Titan has a "never" setting on the screen going to sleep)...at this point, 1 hour in, I am now number 24 in queu...

I knew the tokens would go fast, so as soon as I found out about them, I snagged one figuring I would unlock later...yeah, right...who was I kidding? I didn't realize the site did the work, so I jumped into it...

I don't want to lose my place in line, so I'm committed...ready for bed, but I'm not sure what my input level is with this, so...I reckon I'll wait it out...

update: at 3:25am, I am now number 19...
    Last edited by tmotytn; 12-15-2011 at 04:26 AM.
    12-15-2011 03:42 AM
    Lol. I'll get queued up at work. That wait is ridiculous. Sheesh. Hopefully I can download the unlock tool on the laptops.

12-15-2011 06:51 AM
    im so confused about the different unlocking techniques on WP. What does this one do? And what does it NOT do? Can i buy one now and unlock when i get home from work?
    12-15-2011 10:45 AM
    Looks like Chevron has some competition.

Free Developer unlock may be coming | WMPoweruser
    12-15-2011 10:58 AM
    Update...

Done...worked...installed a xap...works...success!

Fell asleep waiting, so not sure exactly how long it took to make it thru the queu, but I can confirm there was no input from me at all during the process...the unlocking tool did all the work -- nothing like unlocking my Focus...

Now on to some Homebrew ....
    12-15-2011 11:04 AM
    well, i did it, and it was instant. said i was next in line and waited 5 seconds.
    Duvi likes this.
    12-15-2011 11:10 AM
    Looks like Chevron has some competition.

Free Developer unlock may be coming | WMPoweruser
    Intersesting that they decide to make this "announcement" on the day that Chevron adds more tokens--where was this news a week or two ago?

I read thru the comments at the bottom, and I have to agree with the majority that it is worth the $9 to be official and supported down the road...

And to be fair, this Titan is the first unit I have ever paid to jailbreak/root.
    12-15-2011 11:20 AM
    well, i did it, and it was instant. said i was next in line and waited 5 seconds.
    I guess there must have been lots of traffic right after they announced they had more tokens, and now the initial rush has died down...
    12-15-2011 11:23 AM
    so they are available and you have to pay still? i'm confused about the unlocking on the windows phones.
    12-15-2011 02:42 PM
    so they are available and you have to pay still? i'm confused about the unlocking on the windows phones.
    Unlocking in this sense means the same as 'jailbreaking' an iPhone, or 'rooting' an Android device...this allows you to sideload apps that aren't in the Marketplace for whatever reason (adult content, infringing on someone's copyright, etc.)

It does not SIM-unlock the device so you can use it on a different network. It will still be SIM locked to the Death Star.

The $9 buys you a token. The token is just a code that you copy and paste into their unlocking tool. Buy it, download the tool, plug in your phone, follow the directions onscreen--pretty basic and simple.

And that is what we are paying for--the simplicity of it all.

Those of us that unlocked our first generation devices can probably appreciate how much work has gone into developing one program to unlock any WP7 device.

Once unlocked, you can search the different forums and find "Homebrew" apps to customize your device however you like. You will need to get some other tools loaded onto your computer to assist with that process. Not difficult, but also not for the timid or feint of heart...help is out there if you get stuck.

I have performed my fair share of nerd-surgery, but am no expert, so someone correct me if anything I have said is incorrect...
    12-15-2011 03:47 PM
    It was done in a couple seconds for me. Didn't even see that I was queued up.
    12-16-2011 01:13 AM
    It must vary quite a bit...I saw a tweet from them earlier apologizing for the delay, the queu was sitting at 80...
    12-16-2011 03:19 AM
    No queue for me either. Instantly unlocked

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
    12-16-2011 01:44 PM
    Well, damn...ya'll are all proof of the whole patience being virtuous crap my mother told me growing up--how nice for you...:P
    12-16-2011 01:59 PM
    lol... maybe at night (late night), it's longer wait times. Seems like I'm seeing the longer queues, early AM.
    12-16-2011 07:27 PM
    I've been trying to get a token, but it keeps saying my card can't be used. It's a Visa debit card, and the money is in my account. I sent an email to the support address, but was just wondering if any of you guys have come across this problem. I don't have a PayPal account, but it says I should be able to use any debit or credit card. Anyone else seen this problem?
    12-16-2011 07:54 PM
    I've been trying to get a token, but it keeps saying my card can't be used. It's a Visa debit card, and the money is in my account. I sent an email to the support address, but was just wondering if any of you guys have come across this problem. I don't have a PayPal account, but it says I should be able to use any debit or credit card. Anyone else seen this problem?
    Not I, but I used PayPal. I would definitely create a PayPal account and not just for this transaction, but any transaction using money, online.
    12-16-2011 08:05 PM
    Bummer I keep getting an "invalid token" error
    12-17-2011 03:30 AM
    Not I, but I used PayPal. I would definitely create a PayPal account and not just for this transaction, but any transaction using money, online.
    I have no interest in a PayPal account. Won't go into details (long story) but I had a bad experience with them years ago and won't ever use their "services" again. I hope that's not the only way I can get a Chevron token.

Still waiting to hear back from them.
    12-17-2011 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD