Video recording sound volume is way too low

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there a setting to tweak this? Anyone else notice this? Changing the recording from Stereo to mono made no difference.

I have recorded a few video clips of TV shows at normal volume levels, probably slightly louder than normal. I have a pretty decent 7.1 sound system. I tried recording at about 2ft away, just trying to get the TV to cover the whole camera area. I played it back and even at 30/30 volume on my Titan, I can barely make out what is being said. My friend couldn't make it out at all on his phone, that I emailed the clips too.

Oh, and I hold the phone in landscape with my fingers at the top and bottom, by my finger tips. I'm not covering the mics.

Edit: Also, is there a setting somewhere to adjust the compression levels? I watched the file I sent through my email and it was much worse than the original. I hate to think i need to sync with a PC and send the file from their (hopefully uncompressed) to send a decent HD quality video.

Last edited:

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Mine appears to be very sensitive, at least when I play the file back on the computer. I could hear the TV in the next room, in the video.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I took 3 videos from 3 different cameras. One is an old Sony point and shoot (480P), one is my Blackberry Playbook (1080p) and the last is my Titan. All were at teh exact same distance, TV/stereo sound was exactly the same. I am about 6ft from my front speakers and it was at normal volume for listening at that distance.

Sony point and shoot

MOV00013 - YouTube

Blackberry Playbook

VID 00000008 - YouTube

HTC Titan

WP 20111228 161215Z - YouTube

The point and shoot has a mic pointing at where you are shooting, obviously. It is the loudest. The Blackberry Playbook has 2 mics for stereo recording, both at the top bezel, so basically pointing to the sky. That is similar to the Titan (as they are both indirect/off axis for capturing sound), and you can tell the Titan is all but inaudible. I am not covering the mics at all, either.

Case On vs Off makes no difference, nor does the video SRS setting.

Last edited:

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So its safe to say that is "not normal" or?
For Titan that is normal. I come to the conclusion that HTC has no clue how to equip their phones with decent mic and ear pieces and they have no clue how to do audio processing on the phone too. Did you play with the SRS settings in the phone by any chance?
Seems like the Titan cancels alot of noise and hiss that the other devices allow.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I only tried the SRS video setting, which made no difference.

Edit: Music SRS had no effect either.
That something I will never understand what is SRS doing on a video setting.. SRS is strictly audio. It probably for playback only on the phone itself but who knows.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
i guess im just shocked no one else has really mentioned this problem, strictly for video recording. I mean, with my volume at normal levels (15/30), a video i record of someone talking normally from like 5ft away, is nearly inaudible on video recordings. I have to turn the volume back up to 30/30 to make it out clearly.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I want to say mine is louder than that.

It is also possible that the auto gain doesn't crank itself up enough to your liking for a quiet source (more firmware stuff). I have no idea how loud your TV was. My first video I made (I just checked) was the tail end of a Simpsons episode. I can easily make out the audio in the video, with my speakers set exactly as they were for your nearly inaudible Price is Right vid.

But I could compare a video from my old Fuji F40 P&S with the same volume source.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros