2-3 weeks in, call quality issues making Focus S look better?

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Android and iOS, and a BB for work, my first WP7 phone was a used Focus at the beginning of November--within a week I unlocked it and Homebrewed it up--good to go, loving the new OS experience...then the Titan was announced.

Angels started singing, the sky brightened, and the clouds opened up...the perfect device: HTC, big, different OS than the guy/gal standing beside me, etc....

Love this phone, I now have it unlocked with some Homebrew loaded up, and eagerly waiting to get the last piece in place (stealth tethering)--- BUT, when you can't talk on the phone unless you are wearing a Bluetooth headset....I don't talk on the phone much, but when I do, I have to use my Bluetooth, or the other end complains...

I know this has been beaten to death, but with the current poll sitting at 6 out of 10 people unhappy with the call quality, I am curious--anyone else out there thinking about the Focus S? Our 30 day window will be closing soon...I don't want to give up on the Titan, but at the end of the day you have to be able to make and receive calls...

swansonp

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. Love the phone but the call quality outbound is terrible. I typically call into meetings for work and the last call I was on everyone commented on how I sounded like I was talking through a blanket. I called into another call later that day with a borrowed Motorola Atrix 2 and right away people commented how much better I sounded. We just laughed and they asked me why I have that phone and of course some people started bashing windows phone.

Everyone owning Titan's with this problem are hoping that this problem is firmware or software related but what if it is because of faulty hardware. It's just too risky to sit and wait. I am going to return the Titan next week and get the Focus S. The Titan never should have been released like this and it defintely is not helping the perception of Windows Phone.

swansonp

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I tried 3 AT&T stores where I live and they are all out of stock on the Titan. And that's assuming that the there are models that work properly. Many people have already swapped out their Titans only to find out that the problem still exists.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you take your defective device back and get one that works?

Based on the fact that it isn't just me, I'm not entirely sure that mine is a defective unit...it appears too widespread to be just the batch delivered to the DFW area.

Most likely, everyone that has swapped their units out hasn't reported back, but those reports that I have seen haven't absolutely convinced me that the problem was solved with a replacement.

I guess I am holding out the hope that it a) it gets better, b) an OTA update may solve the problem, or c) the person on the other end of my calls is just being an *** and telling me my phone sucks :straight:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm in the DFW area I have conducted many tests with my wife's Sprint phone and talked with others on different networks with no issues. I have an at@t Titan that I got 2 days after the launch of the device. There are good devices out there I have one. I'm curious what does at@t say about this issue when one of you takes your device in?

Ruslan.al

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the DFW area I have conducted many tests with my wife's Sprint phone and talked with others on different networks with no issues. I have an at@t Titan that I got 2 days after the launch of the device. There are good devices out there I have one. I'm curious what does at@t say about this issue when one of you takes your device in?

We got 4 ours from MS store on Black Friday.

Today we went to the ATT store first to change
our SIM cards to the latest with 4G support, so we did. It didn't help/fix the
muffling sound quality of the phones during calls.

We tried the ATT Titan that was on the display to figure out if it's a problem with our phone rather than the one on display. We can be 100% sure (it was tied to the display, so we couldn't change level of noise/environment) but noticed that the display phone sounded better.

ATT rep has tried our phone himself and he confirmed the muffling problem. He also made a note on our account about this issue and suggested to go to the MS store.

We went to the Microsoft store where we bought our phones 3 weeks ago. We talked to an employee and told him that ATT store employee confirmed
that there was a problem with the muffling sounds. We showed the Microsoft
store employee our phones and he heard the muffling sound himself during the phone call. After that, he offered to exchange our phones on what they have in stock (they had 3 left from the first batch from which we even got ours). So we tested 2 their brand new Titan phones, but the sound was exactly the same (muffled). Now, we are just waiting for them to receive a new batch and hopefully we will be able to exchange it to the normal sounded units.

If not, we have to wait for some firmware upgrade.

TitanUser

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Terrible Call Quality on the HTC Titan

Terrible call quality!!!

My whole family is having terrible call quality with our Titans. We even went to the ATT store to try experiemtning with new devices (we've only had ours for a week) and even new ones out of the box sounded terrible. Everyone is complaining that I sound marbled and distorted. This isn't acceptable -- HTC, if this isn't fixed, we wont have any choice other than to return these devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss