Muffled/bad call quality? Let HTC know! Give them a call

TitanUser

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Just talked with an HTC custormer support rep a few minutes ago. They said they would look into the issue if enough people called, so people, please call and let them know that you've been experiencing muffled call quality on your titan.

HTC: 866-449-8358 (North America)

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Even though the Titan is a great device HTC is known for devices with poor cellular radios with bad reception and bad call quality. Im coming from a Motorola Atrix and the difference is like night and day, Motorola wins hands down. This is an issue not only with the Titan but it boils down to HTC's quality control.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've got the HTC trophy and the call quality is fine but the reception is horrible. If all HTC phones are like this I won't buy from them again.

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If all HTC phones are like this I won't buy from them again.

I said the same thing about Samsung products when we could never get good GPS on the Captivate...but I think if not today, then tomorrow will be the day I bid farewell to my beloved Titan...

If we dont buy any more HTC's or Sammmy's, what does that leave us with? HELLO MOTO? Please, say it aint so...!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The most important thing a phone can have imo is good voice and data reception. I won't settle for poor reception again no matter how good the operating system is. I'm hoping Nokia will have relatively bug-free phones with excellent reception.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I've got the HTC trophy and the call quality is fine but the reception is horrible. If all HTC phones are like this I won't buy from them again.

I said the same thing after owning a Nexus One. I couldn't resist getting a Titan for a penny and was already expecting poor cellular performance. Overall I'm happy with it but if HTC doesn't get their act together in this department I'll never get one of their products ever again. The Titans quality build and WP7 operating system is its redeeming quality.

seriousdave

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I said the same thing after owning a Nexus One. I couldn't resist getting a Titan for a penny and was already expecting poor cellular performance. Overall I'm happy with it but if HTC doesn't get their act together in this department I'll never get one of their products ever again. The Titans quality build and WP7 operating system is its redeeming quality.
When were they doing the penny deal? I saw the flash for a penny, but my titan cost me $200. I did get an app card but still...

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

chrome14

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Definitely a TITAN issue, not necessarily an AT&T issue or HTC issue.

Reading C|Net Reviews on cell phones, one thing I like about them is they include a small playable sample of a phone's sound quality. They make a call to an aswering machine on a landline from either San Francisco or New York City.

Here are some reviews to compare (scroll down to around halfway down the page..you'll see a playable sample titled "Listen Now"):

Apple iPhone 4 on AT&T: Apple iPhone 4 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Apple iPhone 4s on AT&T: Apple iPhone 4S Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Apple iPhone 4s on Sprint: Apple iPhone 4S Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

LG Nitro on AT&T: LG Nitro HD Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket on AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket Review - Smartphones - CNET Reviews

Motorola Atrix 2 on AT&T: Motorola Atrix 2 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

HTC Evo 4G on Sprint: HTC Evo 4G Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

HTC Radar on T-Mobile: HTC Radar 4G Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon: Samsung Galaxy Nexus Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

HTC Rezound on Verizon: HTC Rezound Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Samsung Focus S on AT&T: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-focus-s-at/4505-6452_7-35016712-2.html?tag=mncol;rvwBody

HTC HD7S on AT&T: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-hd7s-at-t/4505-6452_7-34550506-2.html?tag=mncol;rvwBody

HTC Vivid on AT&T: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-vivid-white-at/4505-6452_7-35083325-2.html?tag=mncol;rvwBody

And our fearless fighter, the HTC TITAN on AT&T: HTC Titan Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

The TITAN? Definitely muddled sound. The Rezound sounds like a Cylon is speaking through it. The Radar sounds very good while the EVO 4G sounds almost like a call coming from a landline.

One HTC phone on AT&T, one on Verizon, one on Sprint and one on T-Mobile.

So, I think HTC can build a quality phone, like the EVO 4G or the Radar but the TITAN and Rezound definitely have issues.

Last edited:

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
When were they doing the penny deal? I saw the flash for a penny, but my titan cost me $200. I did get an app card but still...

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

It was available for a penny on Black Saturday. It was all over the forum you missed out.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Definitely a TITAN issue, not necessarily an AT&T issue or HTC issue.

Reading C|Net Reviews on cell phones, one thing I like about them is they include a small playable sample of a phone's sound quality. They make a call to an aswering machine on a landline from either San Francisco or New York City.

Here are some reviews to compare (scroll down to around halfway down the page..you'll see a playable sample titled "Listen Now"):

Apple iPhone 4 on AT&T: Apple iPhone 4 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Apple iPhone 4s on AT&T: Apple iPhone 4S Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Apple iPhone 4s on Sprint: Apple iPhone 4S Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

LG Nitro on AT&T: LG Nitro HD Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket on AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket Review - Smartphones - CNET Reviews

Motorola Atrix 2 on AT&T: Motorola Atrix 2 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

HTC Evo 4G on Sprint: HTC Evo 4G Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

HTC Radar on T-Mobile: HTC Radar 4G Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon: Samsung Galaxy Nexus Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

HTC Rezound on Verizon: HTC Rezound Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Samsung Focus S on AT&T: Samsung Focus S Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

HTC HD7S on AT&T: HTC HD7S Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

HTC Vivid on AT&T: HTC Vivid Review - Smartphones - CNET Reviews

And our fearless fighter, the HTC TITAN on AT&T: HTC Titan Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

The TITAN? Definitely muddled sound. The Rezound sounds like a Cylon is speaking through it. The Radar sounds very good while the EVO 4G sounds almost like a call coming from a landline.

One HTC phone on AT&T, one on Verizon, one on Sprint and one on T-Mobile.

So, I think HTC can build a quality phone, like the EVO 4G or the Radar but the TITAN and Rezound definitely have issues.

Last time I heard the Titan was made by HTC. It's an HTC issue, that's a fact. Look at other reviews such as the EVO 3D which also had sub par cellular performance. We also can't forget the attenuation issues that the original Nexus One had. HTC has had devices from past to present which performed poorly on the phone signal and call quality level level.

chrome14

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
HTC definitely has its problems.

Just seems that the Titan and Rezound are the worst of the bunch. Like I said, they are capable of making good phones, as far as call quality goes, like the Radar or the EVO 4G. The HTC Evo Design 4G also sounds pretty good.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
@chrome14

I got a new SIM card. A couple minutes ago I decided to test out call quality by switching phones with my girl. According to her I still sound bad but better than what I did before. The AT&T rep said the same thing. In fact I sound almost as good as the Cnet audio test. Perhaps getting a new SIM will make call quality slightly better. However, it seems like the only option is going from worse to bad.

I also lol'ed at the iPhone 4 sounding better than the 4S.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
When I called HTC, the rep dismissed my concern with a "sounds like a cell phone on speaker to me" (it wasn't). Had to ask him specifically to note the problem for my device. He did make a note and created a ticket, but I have read here that unless they are trolling their customer service logs for this problem, any single ticket makes as much noise as one hand clapping.

I switched to Focus S...may regret it if/ when there is s firmware fix...or replacement of back-plates from affected lots. Good luck, all
..will miss you and TITAN.

cmboo

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I called HTC to report muffled voice. The rep told me she couldn't hear me, so she experienced the problem everyone else had complained about. As I was talking to her, I decided remove my case - it's a Case-mate that I bought at AT&T. Then she said "I don't know what you just did but I can hear you clearly now." They recommended buying a case from shopamerica.htc.com (which has nothing on the Titan) or any of these - daydeal.com, letstalk.com, boxwave.com. Pretty lame. I love my case-mate. I guess AT&T needs to be made aware of this.

TitanUser

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It's not the case...

Neither my phone, nor anyone in my families, nor any of the other Titans that I have experimented with at the AT&T stores, had cases. They all sounded muffled.

DKDogz54

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
just called htc. according to them, the only two issues on the titan are charging problems and reboots. First he heard about my call quality or 4g speeds. And first time I heard about charging and reboot problems...

petroll

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
All of us here just about within our 30 day return window, and ascertaining whether this is a firmware/software fixable issue is so important.

I'm a U.S. att user. I just phoned HTC at 866-449-8358 and reported the issue. They said it had not been reported before. this is BS. Hundreds are complaining online and several have said specifically that they have called HTC to report it.

SO I ASK: if you're a U.S. customer, please call 866-449-8358 and report it as "muffled microphone" or "muffled call quality" and "poor call quality for those I call" or describe it for them. We have to get an official answer. I hate the idea of returning the phone and getting another one with the same problem. Or getting a different phone like the Samsung.

Twitter #htctitanmuffle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3