Sorry guys, I bailed...

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Went back to a ATT store to see about swapping out my Titan...called ahead, she had the last one waiting when I got there. While waiting to be waited on, I made a test call from the display Titan, Focus S, and Focus Flash to my wife (who is not at all tech savvy)...

She ranked the call quality as the Flash being better than the S, which was slightly better than the Titan.

The Titan she was holding for me also had the muffled audio issue, and I could tell when I had to open the Titan up to put my sim in it that they had received minimal (if any) training on these devices, so any of them having an iota of a clue as what to do to fix the issue was not in the realm of imagination...

Anywho--reluctantly, I gave up the most nearly perfect Titan, and made the switch to the Focus S, and so far have made a few calls to folks who had been complaining about the audio quality, and had an hour long call to the maternal unit...no one asked me to repeat myself or *****ed about not being able to understand me.

It's only been a couple of hours, I still miss the size, but it probably won't take too long to adjust back down to average :p ....there are differences between the phones for sure--some you will notice right off, and some you wont realize till you try to find/use a feature...but again, at the end of the day, it doesnt matter if these things make you a sandwich and/or wipe your behind--they need to be able to also make and receive calls.

Best of luck to ya'll who wait this out...to those who decide to come with--see you in the Sammy room!

sfleuriet

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The Focus S is still a good phone - thin and super light! I don't do a whole lot of talking on the phone and when I do, they are short calls. So luckily it isn't a deal-breaker for me.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to see you go. I have a few more days to decide before I'm locked into a contract. My call quality is serviceable but not admirable. I'm actually more annoyed by two other big problems, audio pops and wifi dropping connection. The wifi works well enough that I can manage but damn are those audio pops bad. Sometimes I flinch because of how bad it is. As someone who listens to a lot of music, the loud pops can be quite nerve-wracking.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to see you go. I have a few more days to decide before I'm locked into a contract. My call quality is serviceable but not admirable. I'm actually more annoyed by two other big problems, audio pops and wifi dropping connection. The wifi works well enough that I can manage but damn are those audio pops bad. Sometimes I flinch because of how bad it is. As someone who listens to a lot of music, the loud pops can be quite nerve-wracking.

Haven't experienced a single WiFi problem here. Also, what are these audio pops you speak of? Only time I've ever heard any audio stutters, and they were very minor, is when receiving notification sounds while listening to music. Other than those rare little hickups, audio quality has been great for me. If you are hoping for better audio quality from the Focus S you will be very disappointed.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Haven't experienced a single WiFi problem here. Also, what are these audio pops you speak of? Only time I've ever heard any audio stutters, and they were very minor, is when receiving notification sounds while listening to music. Other than those rare little hickups, audio quality has been great for me. If you are hoping for better audio quality from the Focus S you will be very disappointed.

Even with SRS off you don't notice a little static pop between songs? It's not so bad with SRS off but it's really noticeable with SRS on (at least on my phone it is). However, audio playback for music is not bad, not mind blowing, but more than good enough to be enjoyable.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Even with SRS off you don't notice a little static pop between songs? It's not so bad with SRS off but it's really noticeable with SRS on (at least on my phone it is).

Nope. Never heard any pops between songs and I listen to music a lot on my Titan. I turned SRS off the moment it came out of the box so I don't know if mine does it with that enabled. Just for reference, my songs are mostly high bit rate mp3s and I use midrange Sony headphones.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Went back to a ATT store to see about swapping out my Titan...called ahead, she had the last one waiting when I got there. While waiting to be waited on, I made a test call from the display Titan, Focus S, and Focus Flash to my wife (who is not at all tech savvy)...

She ranked the call quality as the Flash being better than the S, which was slightly better than the Titan.

The Titan she was holding for me also had the muffled audio issue, and I could tell when I had to open the Titan up to put my sim in it that they had received minimal (if any) training on these devices, so any of them having an iota of a clue as what to do to fix the issue was not in the realm of imagination...

Anywho--reluctantly, I gave up the most nearly perfect Titan, and made the switch to the Focus S, and so far have made a few calls to folks who had been complaining about the audio quality, and had an hour long call to the maternal unit...no one asked me to repeat myself or *****ed about not being able to understand me.

It's only been a couple of hours, I still miss the size, but it probably won't take too long to adjust back down to average :p ....there are differences between the phones for sure--some you will notice right off, and some you wont realize till you try to find/use a feature...but again, at the end of the day, it doesnt matter if these things make you a sandwich and/or wipe your behind--they need to be able to also make and receive calls.

Best of luck to ya'll who wait this out...to those who decide to come with--see you in the Sammy room!

I did the exact same thing. Took Titan to at&t store to make comparison calls with Focus S. Difference was remarkable. I have since called others who had to endure Titan and they immediately noticed. The difference as well. I think some TITANS are worse than others, but I had three, each with different problems - including the poor call quality.

I adjusted to the 0.4-inch size difference more easily than anticipated. Most noticeable difference to me was the heft of the TITAN vs. the extremely thin and light form factor of the Focus S. I thought that would be a difficult adjustment as well, but it wasn't.

Bit heartbroken to abandon the Titan, but happy with the swap.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

SOme Focus S users seem to be having these same problems...

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I don't have a single WiFi problem either. Check the case to phone chassis contacts. May be bent.

No audio pops at all EXCEPT when plugging the aux cable into my phone. That makes a pretty good one. None at all after it's plugged in though. I use mine in my car.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a single WiFi problem either. Check the case to phone chassis contacts. May be bent.

No audio pops at all EXCEPT when plugging the aux cable into my phone. That makes a pretty good one. None at all after it's plugged in though. I use mine in my car.

Yeah, my sound is perfect too. I only have the muffled call issue. Debating canceling my new plan completely and just going back to my focus (which is perfect). Maybe get the N900 when it comes out.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I moved from Sprint to AT&T, I've preferred to use a land line whenever I need to speak to someone. AT&T tech simply sounds crappier. In the 3 weeks I've had my Titan, I've probably used it for phone calls maybe a half dozen times. It doesn't sound great, but it's not much worse than my old Atrix, Captivate, Tilt2, or my wife's iPhone 4S, her old 3GS, etc. I might notice (or care) more if I used my device for phone calls often, but I don't. I care more about the signal reception. I switched from the CaseMate Tough Case to the Barely There case yesterday. My reception was decent yesterday, but I'll monitor it over the next few days to see if it improves.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I moved from Sprint to AT&T, I've preferred to use a land line whenever I need to speak to someone. AT&T tech simply sounds crappier. In the 3 weeks I've had my Titan, I've probably used it for phone calls maybe a half dozen times. It doesn't sound great, but it's not much worse than my old Atrix, Captivate, Tilt2, or my wife's iPhone 4S, her old 3GS, etc. I might notice (or care) more if I used my device for phone calls often, but I don't. I care more about the signal reception. I switched from the CaseMate Tough Case to the Barely There case yesterday. My reception was decent yesterday, but I'll monitor it over the next few days to see if it improves.

Signal strength was never an issue for me with the Titan--I always had full or 1 bar under full. I don't use my phones for calling much either, but to have to miss a call because my bluetooth was turned off or in the other room or in my pocket was getting tiresome...didn't want to give up on it, but my 30 day window was closing in on me...

So far, the Focus S has been a night a day difference as far as call quality is concerned, and for whatever reason typing out text messages has been alot faster, which is strange, when the keyboard is noticably smaller than the Titan's...

I don't listen to music on my phone, so the audio popping issues that people are reporting shouldn't affect me. I still have a few days left of my 30 day window, so I'm going to try and give the Focus S a good workout to see if it has been worth burning an upgrade--if not, I will return it, slide my sim back into my Focus (or Atrix, or iPhone) and wait for the next "best thing ever"--

GALAXY NOTE, anyone? :cool:

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Signal strength was never an issue for me with the Titan--I always had full or 1 bar under full. I don't use my phones for calling much either, but to have to miss a call because my bluetooth was turned off or in the other room or in my pocket was getting tiresome...didn't want to give up on it, but my 30 day window was closing in on me...

So far, the Focus S has been a night a day difference as far as call quality is concerned, and for whatever reason typing out text messages has been alot faster, which is strange, when the keyboard is noticably smaller than the Titan's...

I don't listen to music on my phone, so the audio popping issues that people are reporting shouldn't affect me. I still have a few days left of my 30 day window, so I'm going to try and give the Focus S a good workout to see if it has been worth burning an upgrade--if not, I will return it, slide my sim back into my Focus (or Atrix, or iPhone) and wait for the next "best thing ever"--

GALAXY NOTE, anyone? :cool:
I'd love to have a Galaxy Note running wpm7!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3