Tried to save the relationship, but it was doomed...

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I ended the long sad fight to keep TITAN in my life. Went with the Focus S, a device I had ignored while in thrall with the TITAN. When I finally looked past all that slick beauty, the quieter yet reliable Focus S stepped out of TITAN's shadow and won my heart.

May be a rebound relationship, but I can say that I am no longer obsessed with thoughts about what could be wrong...how to make it work...did I love TITAN enough to overlook his flaws?

After five stages of breakup-grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance, new relationship had been right there, waiting patiently for me to see it.

I am very happy in my new relationship. We clic: its easy, it fits, and I trust it. [strolls off into sunset to live happily ever after...]

Last edited:

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
One of the reasons I initially passed up the Focus S was the initial bug reports.

yeah, me too...I think that since the Focus S and Flash hit a week or two before the Titan, and then the delay to actually get the Titans added up to the Sammy early adopters having time to report while we didnt have our Titans inhand...the whole time we were reading about their issues, we were glad to have waited for the Titan to drop, thinking about those poor, silly fools that jumped too early and "settled" for the Samsung...if they had all hit at the same time, the bug reports would have been hitting simultaneously...

Well, as I type this out on my Samsung Focus S, I realize that those initial bugs that had been reported either a)were resolved on the 2nd or 3rd batch shipped out, or b)arent an issue for me, because I have had a night and day better experience with the Sammy...

And like RocketGirl, I am not opposed to giving it another shot later...even standing at the ATT store doing the swap the other night, I was asking myself "how often do I actually make calls anyway?"--I reeaaallllly didnt want to let the Titan go...

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I may be doing the same. Started playing iHeart at work today and both my co-workers were saying how horrible the speaker sounds. I could take a chance and swap it out for another Titan, but I love Sammies and will probably be much happier there.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
...even standing at the ATT store doing the swap the other night, I was asking myself "how often do I actually make calls anyway?"--I reeaaallllly didnt want to let the Titan go...

yep I'm boxing mine up as we speak to go return and i am seriously not happy about it. I am going to look at a new one they may have gotten in this week and see if it is different but making a call or two from the store and sounding good is not good enough as this one sounds just fine sometimes as well.

I will feel better when it's out of sight, out of mind. :straight:

edit: also have a Focus S and like it a lot but I love the titan :confused:

Last edited:

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
And like RocketGirl, I am not opposed to giving it another shot later...even standing at the ATT store doing the swap the other night, I was asking myself "how often do I actually make calls anyway?"--I reeaaallllly didnt want to let the Titan go...

My actual problems I have mostly concluded that they are all Mango issues, or firmware-updatable issues.

My main gripes are:
* Disappearing keyboard (Mango/OS)
* Slow 4G (yeah some of it is hardware design but if it is limited to Cat 8, then Cat 10 would be faster, no matter what)
* Call quality (never had anyone complain but I believe it is muffled and there is some seriously over-active NR going on while on-call but the mic itself is fine so no point in exchanging over this, given my mild symptoms)
* Occasionally flaky proximity sensor (seems to basically stop working on some calls over ~4 minutes)
* WiFi slow to reconnect or doesn't always automatically reconnect on power up (this is clearly software)
* I have seen app bugs that cause apps to close after either opening them or selecting a function (such as search in IMDB) and a reboot fixes it. I have to believe this is an OS issue or an app issue, and not a Titan issue.

I don't think I've had any rebooting issues and I do have Skydrive. But I will have to find a way to tell because right now there is really no way to know. I have stopped seeing the no-data issue in the past week, for whatever reason.

I ordered my device the 2nd day it was out and had it over-nighted so I have one of the first batch. I was also able to get a credit so I didn't pay anything for it, which helps for some of the minor issues. I agree, though, with a major issue, it's not even the money - you need a device that works. Fortunately I don't have any issues that would cause me to exchange for another Titan or switch phones entirely.

That said, I DO want to put pressure on AT&T and/or HTC to fix what can be fixed. The MS stuff will get fixed anyway so that stuff is lower on my radar.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I may be doing the same. Started playing iHeart at work today and both my co-workers were saying how horrible the speaker sounds. I could take a chance and swap it out for another Titan, but I love Sammies and will probably be much happier there.

Really? I find it to be above average, though I wouldn't expect to play music on any phone speakerphone and be happy with the quality.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Really? I find it to be above average, though I wouldn't expect to play music on any phone speakerphone and be happy with the quality.
Below average like most of their speakers and earpieces in other devices. Some don't have many or any problems, but I wasn't chancing it on my 30th day. I might have tried another Titan if it was the 14th day.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I returned my Titan and got an iPhone 4s. Now the iPhone 4s sits on my desk waiting for me to send it to eBay. I'm back on my Original Focus too! It's an awesome phone that just works!

I mentioned to the rep at the ATT store that I was happy to just go back into my original Focus if the one Titan they had in the backroom wasn't any better than the one I was bringing back, but because she didn't want to lose the upgrade, they gave me a Focus S for the same special arrangement price I had with the retention department...

The first day or two, I was kind of thinking about just returning it and keeping the original Focus, because you are right, "it just works"...what won me over was the speed of the S. Since I live in the Dallas market, my Faux G does work all over the places I go...but, that said, I could probably re-adjust pretty easily back to the 3G Focus after a day or two...

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My actual problems I have mostly concluded that they are all Mango issues, or firmware-updatable issues.

My main gripes are:
* Disappearing keyboard (Mango/OS)
* Slow 4G (yeah some of it is hardware design but if it is limited to Cat 8, then Cat 10 would be faster, no matter what)
* Call quality (never had anyone complain but I believe it is muffled and there is some seriously over-active NR going on while on-call but the mic itself is fine so no point in exchanging over this, given my mild symptoms)
* Occasionally flaky proximity sensor (seems to basically stop working on some calls over ~4 minutes)
* WiFi slow to reconnect or doesn't always automatically reconnect on power up (this is clearly software)
* I have seen app bugs that cause apps to close after either opening them or selecting a function (such as search in IMDB) and a reboot fixes it. I have to believe this is an OS issue or an app issue, and not a Titan issue.

I don't think I've had any rebooting issues and I do have Skydrive. But I will have to find a way to tell because right now there is really no way to know. I have stopped seeing the no-data issue in the past week, for whatever reason.

I ordered my device the 2nd day it was out and had it over-nighted so I have one of the first batch. I was also able to get a credit so I didn't pay anything for it, which helps for some of the minor issues. I agree, though, with a major issue, it's not even the money - you need a device that works. Fortunately I don't have any issues that would cause me to exchange for another Titan or switch phones entirely.

That said, I DO want to put pressure on AT&T and/or HTC to fix what can be fixed. The MS stuff will get fixed anyway so that stuff is lower on my radar.

I agree with your sentiments. I have experienced very few issues with my Titan, none of them are dealbreakers, and I expect most of them, if not all of them, to be fixed in future updates. Most brand new devices have a few issues out of the box that are fixed with firmware upgrades. Even the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and original Focus had issues when they were launched that have been ironed out with updates. In my opinion people are jumping ship way too quickly on this amazing device.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with your sentiments. I have experienced very few issues with my Titan, none of them are dealbreakers, and I expect most of them, if not all of them, to be fixed in future updates. Most brand new devices have a few issues out of the box that are fixed with firmware upgrades. Even the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and original Focus had issues when they were launched that have been ironed out with updates. In my opinion people are jumping ship way too quickly on this amazing device.

I Think TITAN has the /potential/ to be an amazing device. Problem is, it is hard to know when, exactly that will materialize. When the phone is non-functional (stuck in boot loop) or unusable (call quality), that puts many of us in a choose-or-lose situation. Initially planned to wait it out...but having gone through three different handsets, none of them usable, waiting it out was a bit of a non-starter.

tampacoder

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I broke it off with my TITAN about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure if it was AT&T or the phone; but if the person on the other end can't hear me that's a failue on both parties.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb