Tried to save the relationship, but it was doomed...

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with your sentiments. I have experienced very few issues with my Titan, none of them are dealbreakers, and I expect most of them, if not all of them, to be fixed in future updates. Most brand new devices have a few issues out of the box that are fixed with firmware upgrades. Even the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and original Focus had issues when they were launched that have been ironed out with updates. In my opinion people are jumping ship way too quickly on this amazing device.

Not arguing here, I think you have made a great point, and only want to post for the sake of continuing the conversation...

I agree with your opinion about folks jumping ship too early to an extent...I don't think any of us that have already jumped did it easily. Speaking for myself, it was an agonizing decision made over the course of a set period of time that I consciously monitored my usage and activity. (And yes, I realize how dramatic the term "agonizing" sounds when it is pertaining to a phone...I felt like I had finally found my 'perfect' device, and did not want to give it up...)

Being in the wireless industry for 10 plus years, and being a longtime reader of the many forums related to it, I made my decision with the knowledge that manufacturers put out devices at a very rapid pace, and in the process, existing handsets that are already in the market sometimes get left behind or forgotten about, and never receive expected updates. The debate rages on about who is to blame for this, the carrier or the manufacturer, and I don't necessarily subscribe to either side of that one (not because I don't care, but because I usually bore easily and either update/upgrade it myself, or move on to something new altogether.)

I picked up an Atrix at launch, and tried a couple of new androids since, only to return them in favor of my original Atrix...now there is an Atrix 2, but when you compare the specs, other than a bigger screen and bigger camera, what are you getting? In the meantime, where are the updates to the Atrix (that isn't even a year old yet)? Will it get a taste of Ice Cream Sandwich? And, if so, will it be from Moto, or from the devs at Cyanogen?

Now, to our beloved WP7--the Titan has been out less than a month, and BGR is already telling us about a new LTE model on the horizon in Q1 that will be "Titan-like"...surely, WP isn't already becoming like the Android platform, is it? Keep churning out handsets, and let the devs and hobbyists work out the bugs?

To sum it all up: I wish I had been one of the lucky ones that had gotten a solid Titan, cuz I woulda kept it. But based on past history, I will be pleasantly surprised if a patch is released to fix the issues. If one comes out, whether it be an HTC release or a dev release, most likely I will be scouring my local Craigslist to find one...

Again, not arguing...just wanted to take the conversation a little further...looking forward to other folks opinions on the matter...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My Wife loves her Titan. She is one of the best salesman (sales person?) for WP out there. We were at Radio Shack the other day looking at new routers and she actually tore into the sales rep that was helping us for not having any WP devices on display in the AT&T section of their wireless display!! (I am so proud!!) But she really hates the call quality, and yes it is sluggish in ways my Focus S isn't. She truly kicked around turning in her Titan for an S, but in the end just wanted the advatages the Titan gives her. I understand the frustration of the Titan owners. This SHOULD be a great phone, a flagship to hang your hat on. Hope some firmware updates are pushed out soon.

And as for the thought brought up by tmotyn in a very well written post above concerning the rumors of LTE coming on Tango (is that confirmed yet?), and then high def screens, dual core processors and all the such coming on WP-8 on the heels of Tango, all I can say is that I will be happy to say My Focus S is outdated. I want the ecosystem to succeed. Just think of the fun choices at the next upgrade.....

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I broke it off with my TITAN about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure if it was AT&T or the phone; but if the person on the other end can't hear me that's a failue on both parties.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

How would that be both parties if it is probably HTC quality control in which at&t has no control over.

Sent from my Windows Phone 7 device using Board Express

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with your sentiments. I have experienced very few issues with my Titan, none of them are dealbreakers, and I expect most of them, if not all of them, to be fixed in future updates. Most brand new devices have a few issues out of the box that are fixed with firmware upgrades. Even the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and original Focus had issues when they were launched that have been ironed out with updates. In my opinion people are jumping ship way too quickly on this amazing device.

I had IMDB do a crash/close on me again while searching. I rebooted and it still did it. That is clearly an app problem.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If IMDB is giving you trouble, give Flixter a try. It's an extremely well made app for movie info and reviews, trailers, showtimes, etc.

pecuevasb

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had no problems with my TITAN. I always get rid of the sound when I play games, so I don't know if there are any issues there. I really like the phone. The one issue that I thought would be a deal breaker was the size, but I'm fine with it already.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
This is the biggest misconception regarding the Titan, that it will be too big.

When you actually see it, it's not the monster everone thinks it is.

The clever design of the bezel keeps it's form factor the perfect size I think pecuevasb. :)

It has totally spoiled me, I don't think I could go smaller now to be honest. :D

pecuevasb

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

The clever design of the bezel keeps it's form factor the perfect size I think pecuevasb. :)

It has totally spoiled me, I don't think I could go smaller now to be honest. :D
That's so true. I don't feel like I can get anything with a smaller screen now, either. That's good because it will keep me from wanting to switch phones in a couple of months.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If IMDB is giving you trouble, give Flixter a try. It's an extremely well made app for movie info and reviews, trailers, showtimes, etc.

I actually have Flixster installed but IMDB has been my go-to for movie info for a decade it seems. I'll give it a try.

jenashley

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
After having my TITAN for about a month now, I'm still happily in love with it. The only few issues that I've encountered are the disappearing keyboard (never does it more than once - my Arrive with Mango did it a few times in a row, which got annoying), it rebooted itself while I was trying to answer a call (if it does it again, then that's something to be worried about), and a couple apps HAVE been closing themselves. Most recently, the myAT&T app refused to log me in and would just close after I hit the log in button.

Other than that, I still love my phone and a few people I know really want to switch to WP too.

As far as the call quality issue, the only time that people complain to me are when I try holding the phone with my shoulder because my hands are busy moving stuff around or something. Other than that, no complaints. :)

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Jenashley...so happy to hear that after your crazy-long wait, you got a good one!!! Those of us who thought we were lucky to get TITANs so quickly weren't so lucky after all...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You'll be back. You'll all be back.

Because no matter how much you tell yourselves it isn't true... size matters.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I like to say I think I have the problem resolved with the random reboots. I uninstalled any HTC apps that were preinstalled especially HTC hub. ( could probably do without any HTC apps anyway). So far going on 1 day and 18 some hours with no random reboot never done that long before.
I not as concerned about the audio quality (yea it's noticable) because I been told I can be heard good enough. Anyway that audio quality is not making me, look bad it's making AT&T look bad so no skin off my nose because that is what I am going to tell them. AT&T should have some sort of standards when the phones manufacturers make phones for them regardless of brand and OS. Audio quality is audio quality no matter which electronics is producing it.
I come to find out that the BlueTooth on Titan does not support file transfer so like you want to recieve pictures of your nephews from another phone that does not have internet it can't be done (Also since I opted out of text plan since I have internet and email).
But all in all this is a great phone and love the name of it too.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Being in the wireless industry for 10 plus years, and being a longtime reader of the many forums related to it, I made my decision with the knowledge that manufacturers put out devices at a very rapid pace, and in the process, existing handsets that are already in the market sometimes get left behind or forgotten about, and never receive expected updates. The debate rages on about who is to blame for this, the carrier or the manufacturer, and I don't necessarily subscribe to either side of that one (not because I don't care, but because I usually bore easily and either update/upgrade it myself, or move on to something new altogether.)

I picked up an Atrix at launch, and tried a couple of new androids since, only to return them in favor of my original Atrix...now there is an Atrix 2, but when you compare the specs, other than a bigger screen and bigger camera, what are you getting? In the meantime, where are the updates to the Atrix (that isn't even a year old yet)? Will it get a taste of Ice Cream Sandwich? And, if so, will it be from Moto, or from the devs at Cyanogen?

Now, to our beloved WP7--the Titan has been out less than a month, and BGR is already telling us about a new LTE model on the horizon in Q1 that will be "Titan-like"...surely, WP isn't already becoming like the Android platform, is it? Keep churning out handsets, and let the devs and hobbyists work out the bugs?

To sum it all up: I wish I had been one of the lucky ones that had gotten a solid Titan, cuz I woulda kept it. But based on past history, I will be pleasantly surprised if a patch is released to fix the issues. If one comes out, whether it be an HTC release or a dev release, most likely I will be scouring my local Craigslist to find one...

Again, not arguing...just wanted to take the conversation a little further...looking forward to other folks opinions on the matter...

I think the Android race is finally starting to catch up to HTC. Their profits dipped a bit in 2012 and the company has already promised to release fewer phones in 2012. I think they're starting to realize that people want a great phone that will be supported for more than just a couple months. Apple realized this a long time ago. Microsoft is attempting to do the same by ensuring all handsets receive the latest OS updates. But when it comes to Android there's just too much competition. It's hard to support phones when OEMs are constantly releasing something new with the latest in Android innards. Hopefully with Windows Phone HTC learns to just release firmware updates since MS deals with the OS.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

To me theres just not much difference holding the focus and the focus s and the TITAN With the silicon case the original focus and the s are almost the same size and the TITAN is marginally wider than the s! I would not have a problem with either. I hope that the 900 is indeed 4.3 and that the Mendel and the Radiant come out about the same time as the 900.

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow it's crazy to hear all these horror stories of the Titan. I recently left S***t recently owning the "Arrive" and being with them since '99, for the Titan. I've never been happier. Display is better, volume is insanely louder, and I have experienced none of the above problems mentioned. The only complaint was during a phone call with my Mother. She complained about not hearing me. I have never used any case from my Mogul/TP/TP2/Arrive, until a couple weeks ago I gave in to protect my new Titan. After she complained about the call quality, I immediately stripped it off solving the issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte