Oh no not my Titan with random reboot.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
He thinks that Android is the world standard. Of course that was just his opinion.

I was a Tmobile dealer back in 2008 when the G1 launched...the funny/interesting thing is that a few people wanted it, but only because it was a new shiny touchscreen phone. It wasn't as user friendly as the iPhone, and didn't really work anything like the iPhone, so Android didn't catch on right away...

Fast forward 3 years--just 3 years--look at it now...

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
My phone has been up for 1 day 12 hours. Just collecting data. I do not at the moment consider myself to have "a rebooting problem." I have quite a few apps but have manually disabled many background tasks just because I don't need that functionality from those particular apps. Perhaps enabling everything would trigger something (including disappearing keyboard, I presume).

Over 2-1/2 days now. I am still not sure if some people are experiencing a hardware problem, or if it is a software thing. Or a software-hardware interaction that is specific to a phone model? I feel like it is more of an OS thing, though, and that if I install the exact same stuff and use my phone the exact way the people with the rebooting problem do, that I would experience the same thing.

Maybe people should completely disable the HTC attentive phone stuff. Then again, mine's all on...

Last edited:

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Over 2-1/2 days now. I am still not sure if some people are experiencing a hardware problem, or if it is a software thing. Or a software-hardware interaction that is specific to a phone model? I feel like it is more of an OS thing, though, and that if I install the exact same stuff and use my phone the exact way the people with the rebooting problem do, that I would experience the same thing.

Maybe people should completely disable the HTC attentive phone stuff. Then again, mine's all on...
I dont know what to do now.
I got the replacement Titan yesterday. At about 5pm or so I put the newer Titan online with the sim card. Since then It has rebooted twice once around 6am then again just now. Phone just sitting.
My original Titan with no sim card been up continuously since I took the sim card out and just working on WIFI.
I am beginning to think my original Titan is just slightly better of the two.
I went into a company owned AT&T store and looked at the Vivid, AtrixII and the Samsung Galaxy II is it. I was not really drawn to any of those but if I had to chose if the 3 it would be 1) Vivid 2)AtrixII and then GII. I really dont like how you can't change font size in the OS with out going to a 10 step process. I kinda think the letters are small on Android (only slightly better on Windows) and I don't understand how they think that everyone has 20-10 vision. Yea you can do the finger thing make it bigger but in general the words under Icons etc are small.
Going to the ATT store I did find out that my market Philadelphia, PA dont have LTE at least the suburb area where I am at. So it don't make sense to pay premium for a phone that has LTE ability because my area may not have LTE for at least another year. Anyway, I would rather have like a stable 2meg up/2meg down speed than a wildly fluctuationing speed based on time of day, cell tower etc but I guess I not making sense there.
Anyway back to my issue I not sure what I am going to do.
I going to do a factory reset on the newer Titan I have since that is what I did with the original one.
I might just go back to my Nokia 5800 old reliable clean sounding too not reboots. delimas.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
On second thought, maybe most people's rebooting problems are an old sim card and/or a flaky sim card slot. I believe these reboot by design if the sim is pulled and reconnected. A decent test would be to pull the sim and see how it behaves.

My sim is new and came inserted in the phone.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
My sim is new and it has rebooted. Originally I had my old iPhone 3g sim card and had no reboots. About a 2 weeks after the 4g card is when I got my first reboot.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried tapping on the sim card and see if you can get it to reboot? Basically anything that suggests it's initiating its own reboot due to the sim.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried tapping on the sim card and see if you can get it to reboot? Basically anything that suggests it's initiating its own reboot due to the sim.
I have to take the protective cover I have the phone in to do that. Oh I hate unsealing the perfect fit....

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
You might be on to something Kevm. I went through the first overnight with no reboot on either Titan that I have in hand. I am going to see how it does by this afternoon and get the returning Titan shipped back to Vendor this week.
That metal holder for the sims card does seem flimsy. It seems like it needs something more.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You could try something like adding a single piece of tape to the sim card which would maybe press it into the contacts more securely.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
You could try something like adding a single piece of tape to the sim card which would maybe press it into the contacts more securely.
As I was packing the Titan that I am shipping back to Amazon I tested the feel of the SIM card going into the slot and the second Titan that one I am keeping had a firmer feel to it then the one that was originally shipped to me. So I got till the 12th now I am going to see how this one goes. Another reason I like the Titan it has a low SAR rating too compared to the Android Devices I was considering.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't blame WP7 :) this is 100% HTCs fault. If you look at HTC's track record they have a history of releasing phones with terrible voice quality. Android, WP7 or whatever...

It's not that I'm blaming WP7 as much as it is that I won the phone at a windows phone event and so have no proof of purchasing. I've had a dead pixel, the random reboots, and the trouble with MMS. Yet through it all, the people who ran the events have been no help in getting me a replacement and all HTC will say is to send it in for a few weeks to get repaired. I don't have another cell phone for that to work for me.

Sent from my TITAN using Board Express

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Aren't MMS issues usually fixed by running the Connection Setup app, which populates the correct APN settings, which you would need to do with your international model.

The reboot issue may be the sim card intermittently disconnecting, which could be an issue with the sim card slot itself. Jury rigging with tape may be possible which would at the very least identify the cause of the issue. I wouldn't really mind having tape on it permanently, given how infrequently I remove the sim (never). I'm up to 3-1/2 days of uptime, though I never noticed the problem in the first place. Just gathering data.

I don't believe I have any dead pixels, but I am not about to look for them, either.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Aren't MMS issues usually fixed by running the Connection Setup app, which populates the correct APN settings, which you would need to do with your international model.

The reboot issue may be the sim card intermittently disconnecting, which could be an issue with the sim card slot itself. Jury rigging with tape may be possible which would at the very least identify the cause of the issue. I wouldn't really mind having tape on it permanently, given how infrequently I remove the sim (never). I'm up to 3-1/2 days of uptime, though I never noticed the problem in the first place. Just gathering data.

I don't believe I have any dead pixels, but I am not about to look for them, either.

The TITAN I won was not the international model, but the AT&T branded model. I ran the connection setup app multiple times to no avail and the only thing that allowed me to receive/send MMS again was pulling the battery. And every time it's happened since then, pulling the battery was the only thing that helped.

As far as the reboot issue goes I'm not sure what you'd have to be doing for the sim card to disconnect, but mine rebooted this morning while it was locked and laying on my bed not being touched.

I have one dead pixel towards the bottom of the screen in the middle. That was the only time that the phone had randomly rebooted before I had had the phone for a month. When it rebooted it took a long time to come back up and when it did the dead pixel was very noticeable.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
The TITAN I won was not the international model, but the AT&T branded model. I ran the connection setup app multiple times to no avail and the only thing that allowed me to receive/send MMS again was pulling the battery. And every time it's happened since then, pulling the battery was the only thing that helped.

As far as the reboot issue goes I'm not sure what you'd have to be doing for the sim card to disconnect, but mine rebooted this morning while it was locked and laying on my bed not being touched.

I have one dead pixel towards the bottom of the screen in the middle. That was the only time that the phone had randomly rebooted before I had had the phone for a month. When it rebooted it took a long time to come back up and when it did the dead pixel was very noticeable.
With regard to the sim card. In my situation I had two Titan's in hand and noticed that the replacement (2nd one I am keeping) has a firmer slide to it when you slip the SIM card in. The first Titan I got didn't seem like a firm slide. Kevm was suggesting putting thin layer of tape on the Sim card on the non-circuit side to maybe firm it up. I don't think I need to do that with mine since it already firm in the Second Titan I got. I wouldnt want to widen the bracket holder unnecessarly it seems flimsys as it is. Who knows maybe the Titan you won was previous used? I did a reset on mine and I thought that helped the first Titan I had and I installed the SIM card after I loaded the operating system for the first time. I will begin to install my applications shortly one at a time.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
With regard to the sim card. In my situation I had two Titan's in hand and noticed that the replacement (2nd one I am keeping) has a firmer slide to it when you slip the SIM card in. The first Titan I got didn't seem like a firm slide. Kevm was suggesting putting thin layer of tape on the Sim card on the non-circuit side to maybe firm it up. I don't think I need to do that with mine since it already firm in the Second Titan I got. I wouldnt want to widen the bracket holder unnecessarly it seems flimsys as it is. Who knows maybe the Titan you won was previous used? I did a reset on mine and I thought that helped the first Titan I had and I installed the SIM card after I loaded the operating system for the first time. I will begin to install my applications shortly one at a time.

Mine was sealed in an AT&T box. I actually took the backing off and was messing around with the sim card/bracket and it wouldn't budge a bit no matter how I tried manipulating it.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine was sealed in an AT&T box. I actually took the backing off and was messing around with the sim card/bracket and it wouldn't budge a bit no matter how I tried manipulating it.
Well mine didn't budge either in the first Titan but the part of the Sim card that matter is where the center part is. The Gold part. I guess there was a chance that part is not snug on mine. Maybe you can just get a Net10 or GoPhone tempararly so you can get the Titan repaired/replaced by HTC. Atleast you wont be without a phone that way.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I looks in the last boot time application and it looks like my phone rebooted around 4:30 am Eastern. But no reoccurance since then.
I am wondering if anyone else had a reboot around the same time on their Titan?
Is it possible that they pushing some sort of update?
Maybe to take care of the audio issues?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers