Voice quality fix investigation

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm back

Damn It... I had switched out phones and all was great... Until it wasn't... I don't know what happened but now I'm back to having people complain about my call quality (after about a month of good calls on the new phones) I can't wait for the update mentioned above!

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I put electrical tape underneath the phone's case on the microphone hole and 2 different people said I sounded better than usual.

sfleuriet

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have tape underneath the phone's case on the upper microphone hole, and it has helped. However, I've noticed the best thing to do during a phone call is to have the lower microphone hole as CLOSE to my mouth as possible. Anytime I angle the phone away from my cheek, I get call quality complaints or "hello? are you there?".

edboogie78

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have tape underneath the phone's case on the upper microphone hole, and it has helped. However, I've noticed the best thing to do during a phone call is to have the lower microphone hole as CLOSE to my mouth as possible. Anytime I angle the phone away from my cheek, I get call quality complaints or "hello? are you there?".

I've also noticed this when I was testing my call quality. It does make a big difference.

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I kind of sad this hasnt been fixed or officially addressed beyond what we have read here in this thread. Call quality is pretty damn important.

If anything, this type of thing will ensure I steer clear of HTC for my next wp7 handset.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I kind of sad this hasnt been fixed or officially addressed beyond what we have read here in this thread. Call quality is pretty damn important.

If anything, this type of thing will ensure I steer clear of HTC for my next wp7 handset.
Yup - that's exactly what it's done to me as well. My next phone will either be a Samsung again (I had, and loved the first gen Focus) or a Nokia. The latter is the most probably though.

iluvuk

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I love my Titan....except the mic muffling issue is very frustrating. This is amazing that it hasn't been discovered yet by HTC and AT&T and fixed. AFter trying everything without success, including the tape on top mic, AT&T is sending me a "refurbished" titan. Has anyone actually found that a replacement solves the problem??

Mic works great on a voice recorder app so the mic itself is apparently functioning. I am beginning to think it is an issue with cellular antenna or transmitter.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I love my Titan....except the mic muffling issue is very frustrating. This is amazing that it hasn't been discovered yet by HTC and AT&T and fixed. AFter trying everything without success, including the tape on top mic, AT&T is sending me a "refurbished" titan. Has anyone actually found that a replacement solves the problem??

Mic works great on a voice recorder app so the mic itself is apparently functioning. I am beginning to think it is an issue with cellular antenna or transmitter.

Well like others have stated, many think it's an issue with the noise cancellation. I think the voice recorder app just uses the bottom mic and doesn't use the top mic to cancel out background noise.

iluvuk

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Well like others have stated, many think it's an issue with the noise cancellation. I think the voice recorder app just uses the bottom mic and doesn't use the top mic to cancel out background noise.
I understand that but I couln't get any substantial improvement by covering top mic under case, over case, etc, etc. Could be noise cancellation software but you would think that would be easy for HTC to identify and fix. Hopefully time will tell.

iluvuk

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Also, if it is the noise cancellation software/hardware then I would suspect that any replacement phones sent out by AT&T will still have the exact same mic problem. I can only hope that mine actually will be improved with the new phone replacement.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Also, if it is the noise cancellation software/hardware then I would suspect that any replacement phones sent out by AT&T will still have the exact same mic problem. I can only hope that mine actually will be improved with the new phone replacement.

Well I have heard a couple people mention that getting a replacement device took care of their problems.

Hopefully the refurb won't give you any problems.

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I went ahead and emailed CS about this on HTC.com since i hadn't called and reported or anything beforehand. Their response:

-Thank you for emailing HTC Technical Support regarding an update for your Titan to help resolve the 'muffled' issue.

-It will be addressed in a future update; however, at this time, we simply do not have an exact timeframe to provide as to when the update will be issued.

So at least the new canned response is that it is indeed being on worked on. But seriously, professionals make calls on their cell phones. How can we and more casual users deal with this? It seems like a mission critical hotfix is needed immediately. Not a lollygagging style future update.

adriancha

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Just called AT&T customer support, they said that it was the network, not the phone that was the problem. Even though we have 4 phones all differentthe other 3 work fine. they say it is still the network not the phone.
WHAT ARE THEY THINKING ????

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Updates

HTC has pushed out a firmware update for the titan, but att customers will never see it, there have been several updates that we havent gotten between microsoft and HTC this makes me dislike att not HTC!!

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Just called AT&T customer support, they said that it was the network, not the phone that was the problem. Even though we have 4 phones all differentthe other 3 work fine. they say it is still the network not the phone.
WHAT ARE THEY THINKING ????

LOL, at least AT&T are admitting their network sucks.

Tapiozona

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I bought my phone at the Microsoft store on Launch day for the Titan. My first phone had the voice quality issue and the MS store exchanged my phone for a different Titan. My second Titan also had the same problem. I had my second Titan since December and repeated called HTC for a fix. Finally last week they said I could send it in for warranty repair but I would be phoneless for 2 weeks. On a whim I figured I'd try the MS store and see if they could help me even though it's been 4 months plus and I don't have any special warranty upgrade with them for the phone. The guy on the phone was sympathetic and said he'd put me down as a "Windows Phone Challenge" loser so I would get a new phone out of it. Today I went into the store and they guy at the desk said he'd just exchange my Titan for a Titan II, no questions asked.

I now have a Titan II and people say I voice sounds perfect.

Can't say enough good things about Microsoft. They were in no way obligated to help me out in my situation but they did, no questions asked.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought my phone at the Microsoft store on Launch day for the Titan. My first phone had the voice quality issue and the MS store exchanged my phone for a different Titan. My second Titan also had the same problem. I had my second Titan since December and repeated called HTC for a fix. Finally last week they said I could send it in for warranty repair but I would be phoneless for 2 weeks. On a whim I figured I'd try the MS store and see if they could help me even though it's been 4 months plus and I don't have any special warranty upgrade with them for the phone. The guy on the phone was sympathetic and said he'd put me down as a "Windows Phone Challenge" loser so I would get a new phone out of it. Today I went into the store and they guy at the desk said he'd just exchange my Titan for a Titan II, no questions asked.

I now have a Titan II and people say I voice sounds perfect.

Can't say enough good things about Microsoft. They were in no way obligated to help me out in my situation but they did, no questions asked.

What store was this at? I heard some MS Stores are starting to give out Titan II's for the challenge because they ran out of Titan 1's.

Tapiozona

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Scottsdale, AZ store.

I really was hoping they'd give me a Lumia but beggers can't be choosers. I'm just happy they upgraded me for free.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that nice? You pay for a new prodct and you end up with a refurbished one.

Well... did it?

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Here is the reply I just received from HTC regarding this issue:
Thank you John for your reply. My apologies, there hasn't been a hotfix released to resolve the issueyou're experiencing. We are aware and working diligently on a resolution, there is no ETA on a fix. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced.
While others jump ship because of this, I can't. I paid almost $600 off contract for this thing. Cannot just junk it and pay for something else. If they can't fix it they should recall it and replace it. Even with a smartphone voice is important. Without it the device is just a PDA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss