Blank screen, but can feel the capacitive buttons

Naturewriter

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Greetings to all,

Yesterday, my screen went completely dark, but I could still receive responses from my capacitive buttons. I thought perhaps the phone was in sleep mode, but no amount of swiping or clicking the power button would awaken the phone. The screen remained black. I then pushed the power button twice and turned off the phone. Once I rebooted, the screen was fine. I also note that before and after this issue, the power button has required more force than in the past.

About one week ago, I believe that someone posted a query about this problem, but I cannot locate the original post. By the way, I have never popped the battery. Perhaps I ought to.

I hope that you are all enjoying a great day or evening.

CAVX

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I've had this problem in the past when a phone got water damage.

I assume you just got the phone recently, has it been through any damage?

Last edited:

Naturewriter

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response, CAVX. I purchased the phone from AT%T in mid-December. I have babied the phone, thus no water has come near the product. In fact, a few weeks ago, I purchased a Piel Frama flip-case for it, and the phone has been cradled by it since then. I appreciate, however, your comment.

CAVX

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... all right, how did you power off the phone? I'm not aware of a method to turn the phone off without swiping the screen down. Just out of curiosity, seeing if the screen was still black during the entire power-down process...though I'm sure it was.

Were you doing anything specific when the screen started to go black?

Typically I'd imagine this to be a hardware issue. You're still under MFG warranty, I'm sure, so perhaps you can get a replacement from AT&T or send it to HTC to get repaired - although I've heard mixed opinions of the latter.

Naturewriter

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
CAVX, I deeply appreciate your attention to my question.

From what I recall, I had checked my email and perhaps gone online for a short while. After that, I set the phone aside for a time. When I picked it up, I noted that the screen was black. I then pushed the power button but nothing happened. I then swiped the screen but the results were the same. After that, I recalled that a member of this forum said that she or he had experienced a screen in which the capacitive buttons were active but the screen remained black. The same problem was happening to me. I pushed the power button rather forcefully and the phone shut down. After rebooting, all was well again.

When I posted this query, I thought that along with suggestions from others, I might hear from the person who had experienced the same issue. That has not happened yet, but perhaps I will hear from her or him.

As to returning the phone to AT&T, I am at least a few weeks past the thirty day window, thus I would imagine that returning the phone is not possible. Also, considering the other issues that some have encountered, it may be best that I keep the phone, as I have not encountered more than one or two issues.

By the way, although I have no idea what your avatar represents, it is an interesting design. I appreciate the linear composition. If the inner curve represents the front of a stage, I was fortunate to sit very near by at a Springsteen concert at the United Center in Chicago.

Thanks again.

CAVX

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully you can find the other issue! The only other case I've noticed that was similar was the Focus Flash issue where the screen locks up due to the sensors competing with your power button press. The problem could theoretically be the same, actually, but my fiancee has a FF and her screen doesn't go black when that problem happens.

If it keeps happening, it might be good to take it to AT&T just to see if they'd be able to do anything to it under warranty or if there's any sort of known product defect that could justify a free repair or replacement (like the Focus Flash example above). I do understand the rationale for not wanting to get it replaced, though, since it really hasn't arisen for you very often.

I don't know a lot about this, but if it continues to happen, definitely note exactly what you were doing and what state the phone was in, and maybe it might be possible to get to the bottom of the culprit.

Also, thanks for the compliment about my avatar! It's a logo I designed myself for my personal website. It's supposed to loosely resemble a C. I noticed the stage feel as well, though to be honest, it was pretty inadvertent during the design.

Naturewriter

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
CAVX, I thought that the blank screen issue had been addressed in a post at this forum, but I was incorrect. This morning, I checked the offcial HTC forum and found the post that I have referred to. Actually, a second post has been added, but there have been no responses from HTC. Obviously I hope that my problem was a one time situation, but my pessimism remains in play.

Again, thank you for the excellent replies.

Gary

Naturewriter

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Also, there are a few posts at answers.microsoft.com regarding this issue. Apparently, the problem has occurred a number of times for some users. Ah well.

titantroubles

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I am not the only one with the SAME problem.... First time when it happened, the screen went black for 2 hours, however, the phone was responsive to the touch gestures, I could unlock-lock the screen (I could hear the click sound while doing that). Second time it happened, it went black for 2 days, I tried restarting-taking the battery out without turning it off n what not... didn't work. I connected it to my laptop and erased the phone data, and the display, surprisingly came back to normal.

Now that my phone has just the OS, few messages and call history. Memory is free of any images/music/videos.... The screen again went black, tried connecting it to Zune too... Not working.

Arnav Bhattacharya

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
i have been having this problem : Blank screen, but can feel the capacitive buttons since yesterday as far as water damage is concerned i had acidently sprayed a lcd cleaning solution direstly on the screen the day before when i switch off and on the phone it woks fine bu the problem recurs what shall i do

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6