HTC Titan vs. Nokia Lumia 800

Chicken7

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I ordered a Nokia Lumia 800 online, but there was some stock issues so may be able to recant my decision. I know the 800 is only a 3.7" screen, and this is starting to worry me. I currently have a Trophy which is 3.8", and this suffices, but sometimes I feel larger may be better. Then again, the Titan's 4.7" screen is huge! Does anyone have any issues with holding the phone? Do you Titan users use the phone by holding in the palm and using your thumb for navigation? Or do you use two hands?

Of course, there's more to it then that. Titan has a FFC, which is preferable but not important. And I've heard many people say the 800's camera is absolutely terrible. Is the Titan's camera any sort of improvement?

I'm only thinking of this because I got the Lumia for AU$560, but I can get the Titan for AU$610. Is it worth it? Thanks in advance!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The Titans screen is a joy to behold. I can hold it in one hand and i don't have large hands.

It's a little tricky to navigate one handed with your thumb if you have small hands like me, but i can do anything if I put my mind to it. :D

I do prefer to use 2 hands though, as it's less easily dropped.

Another great thing about the Titan is it's camera, it's really good I find.

Absolutely loving my Titan, I wouldn't change it for the world. :D

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Gotta agree with WeeBear. My hands are fairly big, so coming from an iPhone was a big plus for me, I can use the phone very comfortably with only one hand (one issue I have is using the back button when using only my left hand, but I mainly use my right anyway). The screen is frankly amazing, I highly recommend that you try it out first though as it could possibly be a bit big for you (its bigger than my whole freaking iPhone!)

Maziar.a

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
4.7" is just awesome :D especially since it's inside a very ultra body(9.9mm)
I recently upgraded from iP4 and love the Titan's screen
Overall,Titan has better battery life,better camera and better build quality as well

Chicken7

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys. You all bring up very good points. (Maybe I'm only hearing the Titan side of the story, though, and need to post in the Nokia subforum :p )

Unfortunately, I'm from Australia and we have no 2nd-Gen devices here. Damn it, we don't even have any 1st-Gen devices left for sale.... What I might do is test out the HTC Sensation XL in-store and see how that fits in the hand; that is practically the same in terms of size and build, yes? And obviously, the N9 can replicate the Lumia 800.

Maziar.a

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys. You all bring up very good points. (Maybe I'm only hearing the Titan side of the story, though, and need to post in the Nokia subforum :p )

Unfortunately, I'm from Australia and we have no 2nd-Gen devices here. Damn it, we don't even have any 1st-Gen devices left for sale.... What I might do is test out the HTC Sensation XL in-store and see how that fits in the hand; that is practically the same in terms of size and build, yes? And obviously, the N9 can replicate the Lumia 800.

Yep but the thing is that WP7 flies on a 1.5Ghz single CPU;whereas, Android won't run as smooth :D

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I love my Titan, but my hands are the size of small hams. Every once in a while I use my old lady's iPhone, and it just feels so awkward and tiny. I don't ever want to go back to a smaller phone.

One thing that deserves a mention is the Titan's battery. It lasts all day under heavy Internet use, and gets a full charge in under an hour.

Chicken7

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys! I tested out [the size] of the HTC Sensation XL in store, and I think it's a good size for me. It was funny how much the sales reps tried to sell me the XL, no matter how many times I said I wanted a Windows Phone version, and would buy it from them if they had it. Of course, they simply scoffed in my face.

I've cancelled my Nokia Lumia 800 order, and now have a Titan on the way. Can't wait!! :D

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome dude, hope you enjoy it. I never even tried the size out before buying but it's good that you were able to. Let us know how you like the phone

Maziar.a

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I love my Titan, but my hands are the size of small hams. Every once in a while I use my old lady's iPhone, and it just feels so awkward and tiny. I don't ever want to go back to a smaller phone.

One thing that deserves a mention is the Titan's battery. It lasts all day under heavy Internet use, and gets a full charge in under an hour.

Under 1 hour for a full charge ?! mine takes around 1:30hrs to charge from like 10% to 100%

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have very little doubt you made the right call, Chicken7. Hope you let us know how you like it!!

And by the way, I am not anti-Android, there are several phones I really, really like from them. But, man is the Sensation a buggy thing. Just a bad user experience, laggy and full of slow downs. Maybe I am just spoiled by WP now.....

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Really? Maybe I've just been lucky. I never have to leave it plugged in for longer than an hour.

Where are you?

It might be the difference of using 220v as opposed to 110v.

My phones charge super fast when I'm overseas using 220.

Chicken7

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
And by the way, I am not anti-Android, there are several phones I really, really like from them. But, man is the Sensation a buggy thing. Just a bad user experience, laggy and full of slow downs. Maybe I am just spoiled by WP now.....

Yeah, I agree! I only tested the Sensation XL because it was the same size as the Titan, and in Australia there are no HTC Titans available to test. The Sensation was reaally laggy and unappealing, yet the guy in the shop poured his heart and soul into trying to sell it to me.

Anyway, my HTC Titan arrived today. Yay!!! It's a magnificent device and everything looks amazing. The screen is beautiful. The camera seems perfect. I'm finding little extra things that I couldn't find on my Trophy before, like voice directions in the turn-by-turn map (the Trophy never had an actual voice that spoke). There is so many things I love about the device, and can't begin to name them all.

I only have 2 complaints. As expected, I am having trouble pressing the back button while using it with one hand. I think I will have to get used to using 2 hands in this instance, but I can manage scrolling and the Start button fine with 1 hand. My other complaint is that after my short time using it, I am noticing sub-par call quality. The voices are muffled and unclear, and it is 10x worse when you put the loudspeaker on. I'll cope, but hopefully a software update would be able to rectify this.

My verdict? I'll most likely stick with the Titan, unless if I have some serious problems with the above 2 issues over the next week. But that probably won't happen. :D

Chicken7

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay, this is really bad. I'm getting an issue where the screen and none of the capacitive buttons work. I can wake the phone up using the power or camera button, but I can't interact with it (or even turn it off, because you need to slide down). I'll give it some time, but then I might have to do a battery pull, which isn't beneficial seeing as I'm trying to condition charge it. Not a good start at all......

EDIT: I managed to restart my phone by updating it through Zune, and that has fixed the problem for now. Hopefully it has fixed it for good!

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, this is really bad. I'm getting an issue where the screen and none of the capacitive buttons work. I can wake the phone up using the power or camera button, but I can't interact with it (or even turn it off, because you need to slide down). I'll give it some time, but then I might have to do a battery pull, which isn't beneficial seeing as I'm trying to condition charge it. Not a good start at all......

EDIT: I managed to restart my phone by updating it through Zune, and that has fixed the problem for now. Hopefully it has fixed it for good!
We had a similar problem with our Titan, and I was very worried. But, I did some resets on it, and also let Zune have a shot at it. It is better. My wife was spending a lot of time loading up to sites such as Flickr and craft sites, and I was worried she picked up a bug.

By the way, if you press and hold the power button, it will restart the Titan, and you will not have to pull the battery. Just hold it even when the "slide down to power off" message shows, and it will reset.

Let us know if you have problems, or better yet, solutions!!

Chicken7

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
By the way, if you press and hold the power button, it will restart the Titan, and you will not have to pull the battery. Just hold it even when the "slide down to power off" message shows, and it will reset.

Let us know if you have problems, or better yet, solutions!!

After I updated it on Zune (while it was frozen), I've never had the problem since. Hopefully it won't happen again, because I love the Titan now. And thanks for the power button tip; I never knew that! :p

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Got my gifted Lumia 800 in the mail today. Holy crap. I thought the Titan was well built, but the Lumia is in a whole different league. I really thought I would be turned off by the small screen, but dayum do I have a decision on my hands now. Already rocking the 8107 update officially too. Fracking Titan is eternally on 7720 thanks to AT&T. My initial reaction is to sell my Titan, rock the 800 for a month and a half, and then sell it and grab the 900 on release day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720