Just Got My Titan

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
So FedEx finally delivered my Titan yesterday afternoon, bought it on eBay from Gazelle (the company that does pays you for your used electronics then resells it). So yes, my device is used, but in very good condition (exactly as described) no scratches I can find anywhere. There are a couple minor issues that I'll get to later.

My Initial Impressions
Size:
Wow. Just wow. I thought my Dell Venue Pro was big but the Titan makes that look small. Yet, it's so thin (nearly as thin as an iPhone 4) that it doesn't really feel bulky at all.

Weight:
I thought that the 137g iPhone 4 was a little too heavy, but the 160g Titan feels just right. I guess the size of the Titan spreads the weight out across your hand.

Build:
I am glad HTC used aluminium on this phone, it feels great. It gives that sense of quality, and makes a device feel like a premium device. The Dell Venue Pro has a pretty good build quality, but I think the Titan is even better. I just prefer metal to plastic.

Screen:
I am happy to report that I quite like the screen on the Titan. The colors aren't as vibrant as the AMOLED on the Dell Venue Pro, but it does a decent job. Also, no more Pentile! Yay! Pentile just annoys me so much, on certain colors like white or red, the screen just looked pixelated. On the Titan, despite it having less than 200ppi, you don't really notice any pixelation unless you're sticking your face up close to the screen and looking for pixels. At a normal distance, say 1ft or more, you don't really notice any pixels. The only time where the low ppi count is an annoyance is when you're zoomed out all the way on a webpage with lots of small text. You'll notice how there aren't enough pixels to display the small text cleanly.

As for the size of the screen, I was worried that it might be too big (the DVP screen felt big coming from an iPhone), but for me those fears were unfounded. Even though I have smaller hands, I love the larger screen--it makes typing so much easier. It's rare for me to make a mistake while typing on this massive screen.

Issues:
Now a couple of problems I've been having. First is MMS. I'm on Straight Talk, and although the plan I'm on uses the AT&T network, the APN and MMS settings are different. But for whatever reason, Microsoft decided we only needed the option to edit APN settings, but not MMS settings. On my DVP, there was a diagnostic menu that would let me edit MMS settings, but there's none on HTC phones. Meanwhile, the HTC Connection Setup app only lets you choose carriers from a list, not edit APN/MMS settings manually. I guess I'll have to live without MMS until a solution comes along.

My second problem is with the little button on the bottom that you press to remove the rear shell/back/battery cover or whatever it's called. Mine does not seem to be attached to the back at all, is it supposed to be attached? I'm thinking I might see if I could get a partial refund from Gazelle and use that money to buy a new back.

Now despite all this, I've only had this phone for ten hours, and I absolutely love it. I've already got a Case-Mate Tough Case coming, and I'll probably get one of those official HTC cases for everyday use. I also plan on buying a screen protector (I'm really OCD about scratches). Not the Zagg-type screen protectors, but those crystal clear plastic ones (like Power Support except they only do iPhone).

I don't know how battery life will be for me, but I probably will try to grab a HTC Evo 3D or HTC Amaze battery and a battery charger so I can easily switch out batteries rather than be tethered to a wall outlet when I need a charge.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Nice reading your thoughts on the Titan alpinestars1Z, it's a fantastic screen on it don't you think? :)

The button you push to take the back case off should be attached, is there no way it can be reattached ?

Would the Connection Setup app in the HTC apps not set your correct settings for your mms by just selecting the correct carrier, or have you already tried it ?

I should read more carefilly you have tried it.

Anyway are you pleased with it apart from your little niggles ?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Nice reading your thoughts on the Titan alpinestars1Z, it's a fantastic screen on it don't you think? :)

The button you push to take the back case off should be attached, is there no way it can be reattached ?

Would the Connection Setup app in the HTC apps not set your correct settings for your mms by just selecting the correct carrier, or have you already tried it ?

I should read more carefilly you have tried it.

Anyway are you pleased with it apart from your little niggles ?

The screen just gets better and better. At first I wished the colors were a little more vibrant, but after awhile I think the colors on the SLCD are more natural than the colors on the AMOLED display. Plus, the whites are actually white, not bluish white like on the AMOLED.

No, I have no clue how it's supposed to be attached. It doesn't look like it can be attached, so I suppose something either broke or is missing. If someone could so kindly take a picture of the button from the inside of the back case, that would definitely be helpful.

And yes! Apart from my "little niggles" I love this phone! I previously wanted the Titan II or the 900, but now, I think I can wait until Apollo, thanks to my Titan. :D

yay!! Getting my lumia next week

Great! Be sure to tell us all about it!

Welcome in the club ;)

Thanks! :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
button.jpg

That's exactly how i felt with my screen too compared to my Omnia 7. :)

This is the best I can do with a photo of the button alpinestars1Z

Hope you can make something out. :)

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly how i felt with my screen too compared to my Omnia 7. :)

This is the best I can do with a photo of the button alpinestars1Z

Hope you can make something out. :)

Thanks a lot! Those two plastic tabs are what hold the button in place, but somehow my button escaped. I had to unscrew part of the back cover, but I was able to slip the button back in to it's proper position. Thanks again!

That's a bit cheaper than eBay actually, I didn't think of looking there. Thanks, if the button falls out again or I ever scratch the back, I'll buy a replacement.

I appreciate all your help, guys. That's why I love this forum. :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
That's great news alpinestars1Z, clever you, that would be a very footery job indeed.

(Footery is a Scottish word for frustrating or a pain in the you know what) :lol:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
That's great news alpinestars1Z, clever you, that would be a very footery job indeed.

(Footery is a Scottish word for frustrating or a pain in the you know what) :lol:

Yeah, I've taken apart (and put back) and iPhone before so I'm used to it but I still hate working with small parts. It makes me wonder how the people who manufacture and repair these things do that all day long.

This job wasn't that difficult though, took me about three minutes.

Footery, that's a new one! I've never heard that before, but I guess you learn something new every day. I'm going to start using that word now. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes