Thinking of getting a Titan...

chrishylton2012

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I really want to get the Titan but the only thing holding me back right now is the call quality issue. I knew about it from November/December, but does anyone know if HTC has addressed these issues yet? I'm hoping they'd have a new set of phones that would've corrected the problem by February but you never know. Also, I probably won't wait for the Titan II because the 16mpx camera doesn't captivate me.

Any updates on call quality?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

There's still been no software / firmware updates for the AT&T Titan chrishylton2012.

It's still on Mango build 7720

The European Titan is bang up to date with newer firmware and the 8107 update of Windows Phone too.

Welcome along to WPCentral. :)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I would wait another month and get the 900. Save yourself $100 on contract price and get a phone with a heritage of LEGEN--wait for it--DARY call quality. Plus the clear black screen is awesome!

chrishylton2012

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

There's still been no software / firmware updates for the AT&T Titan chrishylton2012.

It's still on Mango build 7720

The European Titan is bang up to date with newer firmware and the 8107 update of Windows Phone too.

Welcome along to WPCentral. :)

Thanks!

I read elsewhere that the problem is only for US AT&T phones. Should I bother waiting? I feel like the issue won't be fixed in any model of the Titan coming soon. So tempted to buy.

I would wait another month and get the 900. Save yourself $100 on contract price and get a phone with a heritage of LEGEN--wait for it--DARY call quality. Plus the clear black screen is awesome!

The Amazon price for the Titan is $119 ;) And I'd love to have the 900's screen quality with the Titan's size, but if I had to choose one or the other, size matters for me. :lol:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If you're in America then the Titan II is probably no more than a month away. I can't remember if the Titan II was announced for any international carriers.

As far as updates, the 8170 update addressed several mango specific problems like the disappearing keyboard but, in typical AT&T fashion, they haven't released it yet.

HTC also released a ROM update for the international version of the Titan but it never made it to America. I'm gonna blame that on AT&T too.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well it does seem to be mostly the AT&T Titans that are affected, no idea why.

I am absolutely still in love with mine I can't fault it. Just love the screen on it so much.

It's a toughie I guess, with the Lumia 900 / Titan II just round the corner for you.

Only you know what to do chrishylton2012 :D

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
These are the major problems that affect most AT&T Titans.

Poor call quality
Short wifi range
Wifi randomly drops/has hard time connecting
Audio pops between songs (better with SRS off)
Stuttering in videos/games (just turn SRS off to fix)

There's also supposed to be a bug where the Titan crashes when it's too low on storage but I don't think too many people have been affected by it.

Maziar.a

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I have an european version of Titan(UK) and I've been impressed with it so far. I have no issues with Call/sound quality but the Wifi drops(few times not though) and I personally would choose Titan over Titan 2 because of the build quality/being slimmer. (the only 2 reasons to get Titan 2 is the 16MP camera and 4G LTE)
As for Lumia 900, well Titan looks nicer IMO :D has better build quality too and bigger screen(trust me,WP7 is designed to run on big screens :D )

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
AT&T has a 30 day return policy. If you don't like it give it back. By then the Titan II or the Nokia 900 should be out. Win-win. I for one love my Titan and have no issues with it. It's up to you.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
These are the major problems that affect most AT&T Titans.

Poor call quality
Short wifi range
Wifi randomly drops/has hard time connecting
Audio pops between songs (better with SRS off)
Stuttering in videos/games (just turn SRS off to fix)

There's also supposed to be a bug where the Titan crashes when it's too low on storage but I don't think too many people have been affected by it.

As I've been using the phone more I'm beginning to think that call quality is not the huge issue I once thought it might be. I'll keep waiting for firmware to improve the situation but it is still very usable, and I don't have to repeat myself very often. Still haven't been told I sound like I am underwater, so I guess my phone is fine.

Short wifi range...this one still baffles me and HAS to be antenna contact issues. My range is quite decent.

Wifi drops/not consistent about reconnecting - yup. New OS update (if we ever get it) should solve it.

Pops between songs - NO! I have zero issues with this on line out (don't use headphones). The one thing I do get is a nasty series of thumps upon plugging in the aux cable. That one is bad.

In other news I showed my phone to someone who has an Evo (purchased more recently) and they were pretty amazed with my phone. I continue to be very satisfied with it and do not pine for anything else except faster 4G speeds/coverage.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It is a good device, but it is a little buggy. At some point, the firmware update will be released and should turn the Titan into the powerhouse it should be. I think the best answer is boneycat1 and the 30 day return option. Do not feel you are married to it. The Titan 2 (which will most likely have the fixes in place), the 900, and the Focus S will all be options to you. But, it seems most people who own the Titan love it enough to stick with it. My Wife adores hers.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Love my Titan. I occasionally have to repeat some things, but it's getting less common. I did that tape-over-the-top-mic-under-the-case fix, but I only had regular scotch tape. This being my first smart phone, I don't know if I can adjust to something smaller anymore; I think 4.7" is the perfect size for me!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers