Got the titan today.

reelon

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Got mine yesterday. Sucks that if you order online, the 3 day window of the activation fee sticking starts the day you order. So, today is officially day 3 for me. If I decide I don't like, I'm stuck unless I return it today.

Where I'm located in central Florida (Orlando) is listed as an HSPA+ network, but I gotta be honest that even when in downtown O-Town, 2.1 MB down is really disappointing when things are near instant on my Bionic. I'm spoiled, I'm not gonna lie.
I was told at the att store that if you bought it online you have one chance to change the phone or cancel the contract, without the restocking fee.
I'm in a hspa+ area too, the fastest that I've seen is about 4 MB down.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
First impressions. The phone feels solid, heavier than my galaxy with a case. like it. Love the size of the screen. Trying to find a good twitter client.

While I hardly ever use Twitter, I know the app that was talked about is Carbon. It's $2 at the moment, but you can always try it for free for a while to see if you like it enough to spend that much.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I was told at the att store that if you bought it online you have one chance to change the phone or cancel the contract, without the restocking fee.
I'm in a hspa+ area too, the fastest that I've seen is about 4 MB down.

I'd kill for that at least once in a while when I'm away from home.

reelon

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So far love the titan. It works great with my smart buds (microphone & button) from zagg. Everyone I've spoken haven't noticed any call issues. Really enjoying that the phone reads my text while on bluetooth and the voice commands work great. Something that I have noticed is that when I use the tunin, radio app it cuts off a lot, even on wifi. I checked that it was able to play when the screen locked, don't know how WP7.5 does multitasking, maybe that's the issue.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm really liking the phone more and more each day. The network is killing me though. Once I leave the house, I'm wanting to drive straight to the nearest at&t store and return it.

The lack of apps doesn't bother me since I know they'll grow over time like android did. The single core proc doesn't bother me since it's so smooth overall. I love the social media aspect better than my Android device as it truly integrates everything more intuitively.

What good is all of this connectivity, integration, and potential if everything goes down the toilet when it comes to the network? Sorry if I sound frustrated but I've never seen such shoddy network performance. On Sprint, it was never this bad for me and I won't even get into VZW.

I'm on day 6 of 30. Any words of encouragement to help me keep this this magnificent device or do I throw in the towel and hope for better luck with the Titan 2 one day?

lavalleema

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
What good is all of this connectivity, integration, and potential if everything goes down the toilet when it comes to the network? Sorry if I sound frustrated but I've never seen such shoddy network performance. On Sprint, it was never this bad for me and I won't even get into VZW.

I'm on day 6 of 30. Any words of encouragement to help me keep this this magnificent device or do I throw in the towel and hope for better luck with the Titan 2 one day?

Do you have any other devices on ATT? Do they have the same connectivity issues in your area? It sounds like you're having a network issue with the carrier - which I wouldn't think would be a problem with the phone. If another device on that carrier is working great in the same spot as you... well I'd exchange it and see if you have better luck - at that point it sounds like it could be a bad antennae.

Ironically, I'm actually in the process of leaving Sprint due to extremely poor network performance, and going to ATT which works great in my area with devices I've previewed.

Carriers - you have to go with whatever works best in your area. Unfortunately if that's Sprint then say hello to the HTC Arrive. (Actually a good device, just wish there were more WP7 devices on Sprint.)

One last thing - go to settings, cellular and select "change Network Profile" and "Change PRL" -- that should force a resynch with your cell towers and update your coverage map, which may or may not help at all, but worth a try.

Good luck!

-M

Freuder

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with it. Please do report back about your usage of the Titan including call audio quality (both ways).
Got my Titan last week (sim free, using Vodafone UK). No call quality problems at either end. Called my landline and left a message on the voicemail so that I could hear for myself how it sounds - it's fine.

reelon

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You are spoiled by Verizon lte, hahaha. I have been with att for a couple of years and things are getting better for me.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The call quality issue to me seems pretty subjective. I mean it's a cell phone not a landline. There are so many variables that can be involved in how good the call is. Your signal at the time, is it windy out, is the other person in a noisier area, is the mic angled towards you well, does the other persons phone not have a loud earpiece, whatever.

I just got my Mom and Dad both titans, and having talked to them on it I hear no issues at all. but I've had muffled calls on dozens of other phones across other networks randomly all the time. What quantitative evidence is there that there's an actual issue other than enough people thinking it and making it an issue? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to isolate.

And yeah I second the advice that you just have to go with whatever carrier works best or is at least good enough. I was with Verizon and left for Sprint because I wanted the Arrive. Sprint wasn't as good of course, but they were good enough since I had the device I wanted. The 3G was pretty bad and I had some dead spots, but I wasn't hating it. Then I moved to AT&T in preparation for the 900 and it's better than Sprint. So I guess I'm lucky that the three largest carriers in my area are at the very least "good enough".

Last edited:

reelon

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
ok got my first taste on the vanishing keyboard while trying to post to twitter. There was no amount of effort that could bring the keyboard back. I could this getting old fast.
Anyone one if there is something similar to the navigation that you get in android for the wp7?

reelon

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The call quality issue to me seems pretty subjective. I mean it's a cell phone not a landline. There are so many variables that can be involved in how good the call is. Your signal at the time, is it windy out, is the other person in a noisier area, is the mic angled towards you well, does the other persons phone not have a loud earpiece, whatever.

I just got my Mom and Dad both titans, and having talked to them on it I hear no issues at all. but I've had muffled calls on dozens of other phones across other networks randomly all the time. What quantitative evidence is there that there's an actual issue other than enough people thinking it and making it an issue? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to isolate.

And yeah I second the advice that you just have to go with whatever carrier works best or is at least good enough. I was with Verizon and left for Sprint because I wanted the Arrive. Sprint wasn't as good of course, but they were good enough since I had the device I wanted. The 3G was pretty bad and I had some dead spots, but I wasn't hating it. Then I moved to AT&T in preparation for the 900 and it's better than Sprint. So I guess I'm lucky that the three largest carriers in my area are at the very least "good enough".

wonder if it is something that gets worst with time. I haven't had any issues with call quality, yet.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay I just had an epiphany which may or may not make me look really dumb. I was looking for cases for my parent's Titans and I noticed something different about these two:

xrogB.png

One of them covers what I'm guessing are at least one noise cancelling mic. Now I'm no wizard and I can't profess to know exactly how noise cancelling works, but I'm guessing when you cover the additional mic/mics it affects call clarity? Could this be a factor on why it's worse for some and not others? Some are buying bad cases, some have no case, whatever? Tell me if I'm dumb, I'm totally okay with that.

EDIT: Okay I just read that the antenna is built into the back of the case. I'm not sure if I'm thinking about this right but I'm guessing those holes in the case are maybe where the antenna touches the metal and gets out?

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
ok got my first taste on the vanishing keyboard while trying to post to twitter. There was no amount of effort that could bring the keyboard back. I could this getting old fast.
Anyone one if there is something similar to the navigation that you get in android for the wp7?

I've had the disappearing keyboard happen a few times, but nothing where it was all in a row. If you get it a lot I'd maybe take a look at what you have going on in the background. You might be able to narrow down a specific app that is possibly clashing. You can hit settings/background tasks and maybe disable some and see if it helps.

Nokia drive is of course the best maps I believe, assuming you can figure out how to sideload it. I've heard TAMaps is also good. Spoken turn by turn is not something I use often so I can't really say.

http://www.techautos.com/apps/tamaps/

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay I just had an epiphany which may or may not make me look really dumb. I was looking for cases for my parent's Titans and I noticed something different about these two:

Click to view quoted image

One of them covers what I'm guessing are at least one noise cancelling mic. Now I'm no wizard and I can't profess to know exactly how noise cancelling works, but I'm guessing when you cover the additional mic/mics it affects call clarity? Could this be a factor on why it's worse for some and not others? Some are buying bad cases, some have no case, whatever? Tell me if I'm dumb, I'm totally okay with that.

I actually use the exact casemate w/holes on the left for work only. I get more call quality complaints when I have it on. One more reason I run it naked the rest of the time, not to mention it just feels awesome in hand.

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't even know anymore :/. Could even be the way I hold the phone with the case on. (epiphany moment lol) I'll have pay more attention tomorrow.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Get a Zagg Shield and ditch the cases. You pay alot money for a phone, and then cover it in cheap cases. it makes no sense, you aren't using them for that long and dropping them isn't that bad considering how many times it happens over a 2 year period (it's a single digit and on one hand for me).

I like to show the beauty of the device, and it tends to make it more comfy to use and more accessible to use. I've dropped my phones many times with the zagg shields and if they are put on with care, they are the best protection you could ask for. That is my suggestion if the case seems to be the problem.

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I, myself don't use a phone more than a year tops. Zagg would be good if you do. I don't even like having shields on my device. I work in a construction environment on only like to use a case temporarily while I'm there to protect the camera since it protrudes. I agree, it feels better in hand w/out a case. I also haven't ever sold a phone I've purchased so long term condition isn't a factor for me. They definitely are worth checking out.

Sent from my TiTaN WP7 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99