HTC Titan on Straight Talk? Anyone?

tambe292001

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a Titan I'm trying to use on Straight Talk. I was using a Focus with a Straight Talk provided number and everything worked fine. They don't port numbers into already activated SIMs though.

Now I have a new SIM I ported my ATT number from. I can make voice calls but no texting or data. ST is no help because they don't really support BYOD phones.

If anyone has a Titan on ST and could provide their successfully working settings I'd really appreciate it.
Did you get it working yet let me know I seen some one posted in here the solution we tried it and it worked

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
What I found with Straight Talk, Red Pocket and H20 Wireless is that the "Consumer Cellular" setting enables data and MMS for the device. By using the server settings for Consumer Cellular, you will not have access to the Microsoft services: Bing, Marketplace and Local Scout to name just a few.

If you would rather have the MSN services over MMS, you can go directly to the "Edit APN" section in the phone settings and enter, att.mvno and the server of 66.209.11.33 with a Proxy Port of 80. This will disable MMS, but open the correct proxy for the MSN stuff.

Hope that helps - and PS, HTC DEV's said they aren't adding any new carriers for support to connection setup. That included any of the three.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
@Squatting Hen I sure hope the canned response that HTC is giving is accurate, but it's not in their best interest to offer "prepaid" solutions in their setup software. The majority of people purchasing prepaid service either got the Titan free from the Microsoft Event or are purchasing it used from someone that upgraded to a newer device. HTC doesn't make a dime off them.

I'm more inclined to believe the HTC rep that I have been chatting with who says that they are aware of the situation and are "working on a solution" - which we all know means "we know you can't do it and we might, maybe, but not really, come out with a solution some day..."

Here is the email that I received regarding Connection Setup Changes from HTC Dev:

"I understand you want to add the MMS settings for the service provider that you are using on your Windows phone 7. You should be aware that your service provider is not on the list. We are aware of this issue and are working on a solution so you can make configuration changes. Unfortunately, I do not have an estimated time for the release.

If you need further clarification, I would like to offer a call back concerning this issue. I would need you to send a contact number (preferably a landline) along with a date and time that works best for you. It would be helpful to know what time zone you live in currently. I apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced."

So, there is no mention of August for an update, only that they are working on it... Hopefully they will have an update next month and I will be completely wrong, but I'm betting that Connection Setup is done and Windows Phone 8 devices will be rolling out in October/November...

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
@Squatting Hen I sure hope the canned response that HTC is giving is accurate, but it's not in their best interest to offer "prepaid" solutions in their setup software. The majority of people purchasing prepaid service either got the Titan free from the Microsoft Event or are purchasing it used from someone that upgraded to a newer device. HTC doesn't make a dime off them.

I'm more inclined to believe the HTC rep that I have been chatting with who says that they are aware of the situation and are "working on a solution" - which we all know means "we know you can't do it and we might, maybe, but not really, come out with a solution some day..."

Here is the email that I received regarding Connection Setup Changes from HTC Dev:

"I understand you want to add the MMS settings for the service provider that you are using on your Windows phone 7. You should be aware that your service provider is not on the list. We are aware of this issue and are working on a solution so you can make configuration changes. Unfortunately, I do not have an estimated time for the release.

If you need further clarification, I would like to offer a call back concerning this issue. I would need you to send a contact number (preferably a landline) along with a date and time that works best for you. It would be helpful to know what time zone you live in currently. I apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced."

So, there is no mention of August for an update, only that they are working on it... Hopefully they will have an update next month and I will be completely wrong, but I'm betting that Connection Setup is done and Windows Phone 8 devices will be rolling out in October/November...

Yeah I started that other thread. I don't think it matters where I get my phone from, as long as I didn't steal it, I should get customer support. Nokia doesn't care whether you're the first, second, or third owner, they'll offer help. You don't need a receipt or anything like that.

Plus, on my Titan II (before I exchanged it), I had it unlocked. Waste of $7, because if I had traveled to another country, I wouldn't be able to send MMS because the Connection Setup app doesn't work at all on the Titan II.

And technically, unless HTC sold their phones to Microsoft at no profit, HTC still made money on phones from the WP challenge because Microsoft paid HTC for those phones.

But really, I don't care anymore. I ended up getting a Lumia 900 and will try to avoid HTC in the future.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Had a quick chat last night with the HTC reps at the gdgt Seattle event and was basicially told that there is nothing new in the pipeline before late October/early November - that included both the HTC software and hardware lines.

They did share that there should be something announced soon in the Windows Phone family, but not the connection setup app. Looks like Titan users will be choosing MS services or MMS messages.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Yep. Unless I can't help it, this will be the last HTC phone I use. I love the phone, but the company is not very helpful.
Don't blame the company... HTC is amazing, but they are bound to the carriers wishes. The Titan was EOL'd long ago, so software to support it shouldn't be a priority, but maybe offering a debranding process that didn't involve another phone, a y-cable and alot of prayer would be nice...

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't blame the company... HTC is amazing, but they are bound to the carriers wishes. The Titan was EOL'd long ago, so software to support it shouldn't be a priority, but maybe offering a debranding process that didn't involve another phone, a y-cable and alot of prayer would be nice...

I do blame the company on this one. I have had the Titan II since release and HTC's own Connections Setup Application does not even work with the Titan II. There have been a few of us here who have contacted HTC about this and we have been given the run around. Now, I still believe there will be an update to it, but it could be tomorrow or next year.

I do not think HTC is amazing by any means. While I like the Titan II over the Lumia 900, Nokia has done a much better job supporting their phones and customers. That alone will have me looking at Nokia's line when I have to get a new phone, even though I do not like the look of the Lumia.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I do have a question that I keep meaning to ask.

I have the Titan II on Straight Talk, but I am unable to create/reply to a text message via voice. I also cannot use Bing Search by voice either. These will work on wifi but not with data. Is this because of the MMS issue?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I do have a question that I keep meaning to ask.

I have the Titan II on Straight Talk, but I am unable to create/reply to a text message via voice. I also cannot use Bing Search by voice either. These will work on wifi but not with data. Is this because of the MMS issue?

I don't have my Titan II anymore, but what are your APN settings?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Just using att.mvno for the apn. Everythying else is blank.

Not really sure what's going on then. I still have a Titan I in my possession and I have the APN setup as att.mvno and the voice stuff works fine. I would have thought that if the voice stuff didn't work then all the other Microsoft services (Bing, WLM/FB chat, Me tile) wouldn't work.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
There are two options for using the Titan on a third party MVNO... All of them work the same with the same settings... The issue is that you need to be able to adjust 2 APN's on the device - one for data and one for MMS - we only have the ability to do one or the other with the Connection Setup App.

For Data - Download Connection Setup From the Marketplace and select AT&T from the network area. Then open the "Edit APN" box under your cellular connections in setup and enter the APN Name of "att.mvno" and leave the rest blank. This will allow you to use MSN services MOST of the time - there will still be times where your device doesn't authenticate correctly.

For MMS - Download Connection Setup From the Marketplace and select Consumer Cellular from the network area. There is no additional setup needed for this, but Bing and all other MSN services will not be able to be used while this APN is active.

Again, from talking with HTC on this one, there appears to be no updates planned for the Titan on AT&T, nor the Connection Setup App at this time. I would expect to see the option for changing APN's when the WP 7.8 update appears, if it actually comes to the Titan line.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Just a heads up, and a hopefully, I'm wrong statement here, but HTC Connection Setup has been pulled from the Marketplace tonight... UPDATE COMING?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up, and a hopefully, I'm wrong statement here, but HTC Connection Setup has been pulled from the Marketplace tonight... UPDATE COMING?

Dude, your right. It's gone! I hope it's being updated, not sure why it would be pulled though.

At lest HTC is showing some activity. I was starting to think they were a ghost company.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I have had it on my Titan II since the phone was released. It was in the HTC Hub a few days ago, and now it is not there anymore. I guess they could have released a Tango only update, but it would have been within the last few days.

Also, I still have it installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte