Help out a noob?

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to post this in 2 threads as I believe it is relevant to both devices' forums. Anyways I took the WP Challenge (twice...don't ask) And am wondering witch device to go with, the Samsung focus S or the original Titan. More importantly I am going to unlock these to put the on Tmobile Monthly4g and plan on getting the 30 dollar a month unlimited data and texts and 100 minutes plan. I already have a Palm Pixi Plus on their network and tried switching that to the $30 plan but it's a "Walmart, or Tmobile online" exclusive. ANYWAYS what I'm trying to get at is how would I go about activating my first WP7 devices on that plan...???? Any help is greatly appreciated in helping the new guy
URL Prepaid Cell Plans | No Contract Plans | Text, Talk or Web | T-Mobile

Sorry for 2x post if it breaks rules.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to post this in 2 threads as I believe it is relevant to both devices' forums. Anyways I took the WP Challenge (twice...don't ask) And am wondering witch device to go with, the Samsung focus S or the original Titan. More importantly I am going to unlock these to put the on Tmobile Monthly4g and plan on getting the 30 dollar a month unlimited data and texts and 100 minutes plan. I already have a Palm Pixi Plus on their network and tried switching that to the $30 plan but it's a "Walmart, or Tmobile online" exclusive. ANYWAYS what I'm trying to get at is how would I go about activating my first WP7 devices on that plan...???? Any help is greatly appreciated in helping the new guy
URL Prepaid Cell Plans | No Contract Plans | Text, Talk or Web | T-Mobile

Sorry for 2x post if it breaks rules.

I hope you're not getting the $30 plan for the 5GB of data, because with the Focus S or the Titan you'll only get EDGE (2G) speeds on T-Mobile for the near future.

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I realize that but it's dirt cheap and I'm used to horrible internet, if you could provide provide some input on how to manage this it'd be great. I'm also open to the Lumia 710 for the 4g speeds (first 5gb) but how does that phone compare with the other 2? Screenwise and build quality.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Just swap out the sim card and reboot your phone. If there are issues, run HTC Connection Setup and select T-Mobile as the provider. Samsung should have a similar program.

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I realize that but it's dirt cheap and I'm used to horrible internet, if you could provide provide some input on how to manage this it'd be great. I'm also open to the Lumia 710 for the 4g speeds (first 5gb) but how does that phone compare with the other 2? Screenwise and build quality.

Have you been following the slickdeals thread? A couple people posted their opinions.

HTC Trophy, HTC Arrive - More than one year old. Haven't sold well. The Arrive's replacement (HTC Maaza) was cancelled by Sprint.

HTC Titan - Released last October, had some issues with call quality and bugs cause by the OS interacting with HTC's proprietary software. Being replaced with the Titan II this month.

HTC Radar 4G - Solid smartphone for first-time buyers. Released last November.

Nokia 710 - Budget version. All-plastic body and small, stiff buttons don't do much to win people over to Windows phones. Released January.

Samsung Focus Flash - Samsung's budget version. You get the Super AMOLED display (but it's only 3.7") and iffy call quality and camera quality. Released in November.

Samsung Focus S - Samsung's high-end version. Arguably the best of the bunch. A little too thin (8.5mm) and too light (4oz) for some. The back door looks kind of cheap, but the phone's solid. Released in November.

You can search from 2 perspectives: Reviewers who use "benchmarks" vs actual users[from sites like amazon.com wireless etc].
Let me summarize it for you:

HTC TITAN:
=========
Pros:
->Better Build Quality
->Slightly faster clocked processor[both have same processors but HTC has it clocked at 1.5 GHz and Focus S has it at 1.4 GHz]
->Slightly better bench marks
->Better camera[this is subjective b/c HTC are known from their poor cameras and Focus S has exactly the same camera as that of GS II]
->Larger display so people with big fingers can easily type
->Larger display==good youtube and other video surfing [apparently]
->Free Navigation Application exclusive to HTC phones
->Good dev support for unlocking HTC phones[vs all other WP manufacturers]
->Fast in bringing in updates to its WP phones

Cons:
->Extremely poor display
->Titles look too large
->Bulkier
->Not easier to navigate with one hand for most
->Since display is too large and the screen is WVGA, web pages doesnt look good. Same is true for movies
->Resale value down in recent past on ebay etc due to Titan 2's launch

Samsung Focus S
==============
Pros:
->Brain transplantation of Samsung's highly successful SGS II series but single core processor
->Exceptional display similar to SGS II [Super AMOLED Plus]
->As per most reviews, extremely good Camera
->Very light
->Not as much pixelated as Titan [4.7 vs 4.3]
->Better battery life
->Better call quality
->Better resale value vs Titan [coz there is no Focus S 2 yet]
->Samsung's exclusive Video Chat application

Cons:
->Plastic/Cheap build quality [Synonymous with Samsung's Current crop of phones]
->1.4 GHz processor vs 1.5 GHz in Titan
->Slightly lower bench marks compare to Titan
->Samsung is the slowest in bringing in updates to its phones[regardless of WP or Android]
->Some Samsung Focus[Old Gen] became DEAD during phone updates[The only model to suffer was Samsung Focus v1.4]

I have the Titan, so I can only comment on that. I'm satisfied with the screen, the colors aren't as vibrant as on the Samsung's Super AMOLED+ screen, but the colors on the Titan look more natural to me. Call quality on the Titan isn't as good as I'd like it to be, so I think the Samsung wins there. I probably wouldn't expect Nokia level call quality from the Samsung though.

As for the 710, I'm not sure about that, I've only seen it once, and briefly at that.

I think you should have taken a look at all the phones on display while you were at the store taking the challenge.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Get the Lumia 710. It's an excellent phone. T-Mo Monthly 4G is a great plan, too. Make sure to get the link from AlpineStarz to get discounts on your Monthly 4G refill cards. It's a superb way to save money.

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Just swap out the sim card and reboot your phone. If there are issues, run HTC Connection Setup and select T-Mobile as the provider. Samsung should have a similar program.
Yes but if you followed the link you would see that it requires a new activation through Walmart.

Get the Lumia 710. It's an excellent phone. T-Mo Monthly 4G is a great plan, too. Make sure to get the link from AlpineStarz to get discounts on your Monthly 4G refill cards. It's a superb way to save money.
The reason I would get the 710 would only be for the 4g instead of EDGE. How is the Clearblack screen compared to the Focus S? The S seems to have less lag due to a lower latency touch response from the AMOLED vs. TFT screens, correct me if I'm wrong, Also the build quality?

Last edited:

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I think he posted a link in the beginning, but he's under the ten post limit so that's why it probably doesn't show up.

I think it's this:

Prepaid Cell Plans | No Contract Plans | Text, Talk or Web | T-Mobile

The $30 plan has an asterisk (*) and it's basically saying new activations only, online or at Wal-Mart.
Yeah that is correct, sorry for the douche attitude :/ Regardless it was kinda uncalled for in the first place but I assumed that the link I posted had stayed. Sorry palandri
SO does anyone know exactly step by step how to activate ANY of those phones on that plan?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
even though the Titan and Focus S are off contract, they are still locked to ATT right? Prolly need to stick to a T-Mo phone.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
even though the Titan and Focus S are off contract, they are still locked to ATT right? Prolly need to stick to a T-Mo phone.

Actually since Straight Talk uses AT&T towers, you can use an AT&T locked phone on Straight Talk. My Titan is locked to ATT and it works on ST.

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
No phones can easily be unlocked by purchasing a $5 unlock code online. If I stick with a Tmobile phone I get 4g, If I stick with the better spec'd AT&T phones, I'll only get EDGE... :/ Which do you guys would be better? P.S. thanks for all the suggestions so far, great community.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia will fit the 1500mah battery for the 603 without modification. The Radar is also a great device. I would go with a Tmo device on Tmo. Their "4g" is really fast, and both the devices are great. Clearblack CAN'T be underestimated. If you're worried about screen-size, don't be. The WP7 soft keyboard is amazing. Unless the ffc is important to you I'd go with the Lumia, but you really can't lose either way.

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from the Titan to the Focus S :) Hopefully the right choice? Reply with what you guys think but I think I'm definitely going to be happy! I would have gone with the Lumia but TFT seems sooo much laggier and unresponsive to me...

ody360

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation as I just got the Titan from the windows challenge, but im currently on TMO... but I went with Titan because we are thinking about switching to ATT after the end of our contract later on this year, so I couldn't pass up on the Titan. I am debating on selling the Titan though, and then jump on the Lumia 900...

Currently, I'm on TMO, with Edge, which is ok for fb and quick searches, but majority of the time I'm on wifi anyway.

But just one more question for everyone though, wasn't there some sort of fallout from the failed merger between att and TMO? Is TMO going to gain some freq or something? and if so, would our phones then be able to connect at higher speeds? Thanks

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation as I just got the Titan from the windows challenge, but im currently on TMO... but I went with Titan because we are thinking about switching to ATT after the end of our contract later on this year, so I couldn't pass up on the Titan. I am debating on selling the Titan though, and then jump on the Lumia 900...

Currently, I'm on TMO, with Edge, which is ok for fb and quick searches, but majority of the time I'm on wifi anyway.

But just one more question for everyone though, wasn't there some sort of fallout from the failed merger between att and TMO? Is TMO going to gain some freq or something? and if so, would our phones then be able to connect at higher speeds? Thanks

From what I've read yes and no. Depending on the frequencies of the phone, and where you live. Some places will get it before others, although I'm not sure what they actually have to do to allow our phones to access the 3g network.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

You might not get as much as you want if you sell the Titan. I think a lot of people did the challenge just so they could resell the phones. =/

Anyway, T-Mobile does gain some AWS spectrum from AT&T. What they're planning to do is refarm some 1900Mhz spectrum (which is currently used for 2G) and use it for 3G/4G (HSPA+ 4G, not LTE). That will allow people with AT&T phones (including iPhones) to go to T-Mobile and still have 3G/4G.

That move will help free up a little bit of AWS spectrum, and then they're going to combine that with the AWS spectrum they're getting from AT&T, and use that for LTE.

So, yes, in the future, you'll have 3G/4G on T-Mobile with the Titan, I just can't say when. I know they said LTE in 2013, but they didn't give an exact timeframe for the 1900Mhz refarm.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/02/t-mobile-ceo-philip-humm-and-cto-neville-ray-outline-company-plans/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon