I have had issues with the muffled sound that seem to have got worse as the phone gets older. However, following on from a thread on here from someone else who suggested putting tape over the top mic, I did that to limited effect. I then saw a thread that suggested putting tape over the actual body. Taking this further, took some blu tac and stuck this all over the of the body of the phone (not the case).

Aesthetics-wise, it isn't the finished products yet as the blu tac has oozed out from the top a bit and there is also a small grill at the top which you can see it through (the blu tac is yellow). It has also come out of the top casing. The best bit would be to have black blu tac which would not make it so obvious!

But the upshot is that the muffled voice syndrome appears to have been significantly cured. I agree it is not exactly ideal and you shouldn't have to do this to your phone, but save spending another 300 plus on a phone which I cannot afford to do, this is a reasonable temporary measure. The tape may not have dulled the noise cancelling mic sufficiently but the extra padding of the blu tac may have helped a bit more.

Despite this problem and HTCs ambivalence to solving it (perhaps it is more of a problem for them as it may be network specific as opposed to a general phone problem) I do love my phone, for the browsing, screen size and windows system, which I think looks great on the screen size. And it takes great photos too. Perhaps now the calling won't be so much of an issue.

I have only experimented with this for a day, so the noise cancelling mic may yet take its revenge, but I am crossing my fingers that this works!
    08-24-2012 09:10 AM
    Pretty sad that is what you are having to do.

My Wife and I had to return 4 Titans, and everyone had horrid call quality. We are in the US on AT&T, so it sounds like (pun intended) that it is just a Titan issue. I also found it disturbing that HTC did not send out a firmware update for this problem as theforum is riddled with Titan users with bad call quality.

Hope you find a way to make it work, but to be honest the problem seemed to get worse over time. I am not saying do not hold onto the Titan as it is pretty apparent you enjoy it. But a back up device may not be a bad idea just in case it gets beyond the point of making calls and no amount of tape can help.
    08-25-2012 02:02 AM
    No idea what you are talking about but can you post some pictures? You can just attach them in a post, do not have to have them on the web. I would love to find a discrete way of improving quality possibly.
    08-30-2012 04:48 PM
    I agree with power5. I'd like a visual as well if you have the time.
    09-01-2012 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD