Titan 1 owners going HTC with WP8?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not bad considering mine was $0.01. Not quite enough to get a new phone though. I guess I could pick up a *gasp* cheap android and fool with that till wp8 devices come out but would still be buying a wp8 phone for full price most likely. Do not want to buy a $500+ phone. Will decide when 7.8 comes out I guess. If that fixes the issues, I will be content till 8.5 devices come out.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I agree with power5 that buying a phone for $500+ is not an option. I also got my phone for a penny. I still think a titan w/ all its faults is better than a older used droid phone. I'll wait until the end of next june (when I'm eligible) to look at (hopefully) a nokia 8.5 phone.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not bad considering mine was $0.01. Not quite enough to get a new phone though. I guess I could pick up a *gasp* cheap android and fool with that till wp8 devices come out but would still be buying a wp8 phone for full price most likely. Do not want to buy a $500+ phone. Will decide when 7.8 comes out I guess. If that fixes the issues, I will be content till 8.5 devices come out.

there are going to be lots of opportunities to get a free WP8 device I have a feeling. stay close to microsoft stores during holiday season.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Titan I and suffered through the muffled call quality issue. HTC readily admitted on the phone to the issue several times. They would just never do anything about it. I like the screen, the speaker volume when streaming videos, etc. But if I can't talk on the phone, it's a deal breaker. I may consider them again but only after real world reviews and a lot of them. HTC absolutely refused to do anything to fix a phone with bad quality and design. Reception is also very bad on this phone. I have two Titan I's in the family and they both suffer the same issue. I will not consider them for my next phone. Need to take a break from this OEM.

MrX365

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Im in a bit of a quandry tbh.

I had the HD7 - broke twice, fixed both times by HTC - and the Titan - broke once, I managed to fix it myself but the touchscreen hasn't been the same since (I was in India at the time so returning it wasn't an option). Ive said numerous times I wouldn't go HTC this time, and would go Nokia because of the apps, camera etc.

But the inability to get the Lumia 920 on any sort of a decent contract in the UK (terrible, terrible decision - baffling!) and the 8X looking rather gorgeous has made me lean towards the 8X. And even then its not perfect because of that awful 16GB limit. But I can't justify spending, over the course of 24 months, ?480 more to have the Lumia 920 vs the 8X. Ludicrous pricing. 4G means very little to me, not at those prices anyway, and especially not with the data restrictions EE seem intent on having. Whats the point of 4G speeds when you can only get 5GB of downloads? I could get through that in an hour!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
so you can't buy the phone outright over there in the UK? I'd go with the 920 if you can swing it, HTC has been horrible for software support, as you must realize since you are clamoring for the Nokia apps.

pjrupert

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
HD2 owner

the hd2 was an excellent phone (still is due to xda devs) in terms of hardware. blew me away when i first got it. the 8X is interesting enough for me to seriously consider dropping my current unlocked gnex for t-mo USA, even paying full price. HTC has fallen before with customer service, but I've had horrible experiences myself with many other OEMs.

MathiasVerden

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to go HTC, but a Lumia is just too damn attractive. Great build quality, great hardware, great apps and most importantly, great voice quality! What more is there to ask for? Nokia really nailed the design with the 900, but for some reason they decided that the buttons on the 920 should be right under the screen. To be honest, I only got an HTC Titan because it was the only Windows Phone at that time with good placing of buttons..

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
so you can't buy the phone outright over there in the UK? I'd go with the 920 if you can swing it, HTC has been horrible for software support, as you must realize since you are clamoring for the Nokia apps.

Nowhere in the UK is selling the 920 without a contract... trust me, I tried P4U, CPW. TESCO just doesn't stock it... Yeah, it's locked to an EE contract...

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I will still wait a year until my contract is up. But I would still consider HTC if it looks like there supporting windows phone better, love the titan except for the call quality and random reboot. I blame ATT for no updates because the rest of the world seems to have much more positive ideas about the titan. I thought i would never buy HTC again, but they came out with a really nice phone and the lumias are Lumia/n9 design is getting a little old. Hopeing next year to get some sort of wp8.5 with a big screen.

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
As nice as the new HTC 8X looks and feels (and it does fit in the hand much more nicely than the Lumia 920), I decided that HTC is never getting another dime from me. The HTC TITAN has been a hellish experience with the muffled outbound audio and the terrible wifi/cellular network switching (which made me have to manually toggle WiFi to download podcasts). There were other less serious glitches, but the two I mentioned made the phone unusable.

A few months back I resorted to using an old iPhone 3GS. HTC also cost me a good chunk of money because I decided to shell out $450 on the Lumia 920 because I wanted to stay in the Windows Phone fold.

The lack of response on the voice quality issue is mind boggling. As far as I can tell, all HTC had to do was add one little option to the custom settings screen to toggle "Active In-Call Noise Cancellation". That's all, one little toggle switch to optionally turn off the second microphone.

HTC won't stand by their products and fix problems. They just release a new phone and move on to the next, even if things aren't fully baked. It's shameful. I am done with HTC. This was my third and last HTC phone (owned WM6-based HTC Tornado and HTC Tytan). Those other phones had minor issues that made me slightly weary of getting the TITAN, but the TITAN's problems were unforgivable.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Since I'm predicting that WP8 will likely be able to be ported to the HTC Titan, yes, I'll likely be going HTC for Windows 8.

Titan I forever!!! All the WP8s are bulky and ugly, except the the ATIV S which is plastic. If I'm paying money for one of them, I'll probably be waiting for something more attractive.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I loved my Titan 1 and will miss but HTC can't compete with Lumia 920 in terms of the hardware specs & extra features, also not having the Nokia exclusive apps annoyed me so for now I am on the 920 but may come back to HTC for my next device.

tristan.rice

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I did decide to stick with HTC. The Lumia 920 was tempting, but the 8X was cheaper, lighter and had the dedicated amp amongst other things.

My Titan was a great phone. It's been an absolute workhorse for me the last year and it's done everything I needed to, completely without issue.
No issues with build quality at at all. It really is a great phone. I was dissapointed with the lack of exclusive apps, and wish HTC had/would put in more effort there though.

I have had an HTC 8X for a few days now. Am I glad I went with it?

Yes, for the most part.

Battery life seems a little worse, but still pretty good overall. I would charge my Titan once every 2 days, and I'm hoping to keep that pattern. Although that may not be possible. I'm pretty sure the 8X is a charge each night phone.

The hardware is just gorgeous. I've handled the Lumia's and while their nice. I just prefer the 8X. Its soft, light, curved. It really feels good in the hand. Having had the Titan, the power button doesn't bother me. Big big bonus goes to the 8X for being totally usable with 1 hand. Its the perfect size screen in my opinion. Although I can see how some would like the phone to be shorter.

It's missing stuff. No panoramic or burst photos?! Wtf HTC, don't downgrade your exclusive photo software. That stuff had better be coming back with Lenses.
More Audio options please. Give me an equalizer.

I won't do a full review, but I really love the 8X. It is a great phone. HTC just need to up their Software game to match the new Hardware.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Considering that the LIARS at HTC still haven't updated their CONnection Setup app to support Straight Talk, I will NOT be going with this company for any phones in the future.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
OP here:

I can safely say I'm done with HTC now. The good news is my phone has 14 days of warranty left so AT&T is sending me another one. My phone stopped connecting to 4G data. Texting and calling work fine, as does data on wifi. But no data over cellular. Verified the phone was the problem by putting my sim card in another phone and the other phone worked fine.

So, it lasted 2 weeks short of a year. Hopefully the new one doesn't have any of the little issues I have with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05