05-30-2011 07:26 AM
1,015 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    In response to the above and this only: I understand exactly what he means. Junk as in why does he have to put up with crap he doesn't want when Windows Phone should be available. There is no excuse really.
    If I'm correct, he even ridiculed Windows Mobile, but I may be wrong.

Unbelievable or not, that is indeed the response I have received after 3 calls to Verizon about the antenna extender. People have a right to say that "this os and that hardware are crap" - it's their opinion. If Blackberry, iOS, WebOs, and Android don't appeal to someone and they want to complain, they can.
    And if I wish to reply to the ridiculousness of the post, I can also do so.
    05-16-2011 09:53 AM
    And if I wish to reply to the ridiculousness of the post, I can also do so.
    Quite right. Let's just keep the "personal attacks" out of it lol
    05-16-2011 10:06 AM
    Unbelievable or not, that is indeed the response I have received after 3 calls to Verizon about the antenna extender. People have a right to say that "this os and that hardware are crap" - it's their opinion. If Blackberry, iOS, WebOs, and Android don't appeal to someone and they want to complain, they can. This is a forum on Windows Phone website - what do you think is going to happen when America's #1 carrier doesn't have this particular OS? As a heavy consumer of everything techy, I want as many options/choices as possible.

Again, there is no reason to get defensive about the "lack of common sense or civility" that people display in posts on a web forum. This is the internet afterall. I don't get defensive when a Verizon employee ridicules me for wanting WP7 over the latest Android device (which, unbelievable or not has happened). I simply leave the store and go about my business. The mentality displayed is quite similar to my roommates when he worked for AT&T. He refused to admit that anything AT&T did sucked, and used the ageless defense "well they do it too!!!" I have a great job and work for an overall great organization which provides meaningful services. That doesn't mean that I put on blinders about the flaws that we have. Even when people criticize based on misinformation or simple ignorance, I choose not to get defensive. Thanks for your respectful reply. It is truly great to have such direct insight from two Verizon wireless employees. I trust that this resolves the matter.

On a separate note, I'm really hoping that this is the week we VZW faithful get our "trophy" for patience. I have a family trip to Seattle this weekend that would be greatly enhanced with a WP7 in my pocket ;)
    To fix the bad signal problem you should simply move... ;)... right?

I agree with WV though... Its impossible to design a device to get good reception in every environment. For example, I worked in a building that had a steel facade. Mobile phone reception was horrible for everyone. All 1500 residents of that building basically had to go to one side of the building near a window or go outside to make a call.

They don't make them like that anymore for sure. Maybe you live in a similar building?

There should be a mutually agreeable solution in these cases though. Thats just a miss on the customer service level.
    05-16-2011 10:13 AM
    I come here looking to find news about the phone I want. I seem to be seeing alot of discontent and agressivness, not sure, but things may be getting a little out of hand. I think it's a little silly that Verizon has not launched a WP7 device with so many android devices already on their shelf. I, however in my opinion, think there is no perfect phone. The idea of a good device is relitive. Different phones work with different users. Android is like windows mobile 6.5 and some earlier in my opinion. It's about the support from the manufacturer. The drivers and software support are important to usability sometimes. I am not going to say everything on Verizon is bad per say. The phones the currently have availible to my knowledge just are not what I want. I don't care what handset, I just want a certain type of device.

I don't think that people need to be as negative about the Verizon line up to the extent that it affects others. I also want the phone to be released, but I am going to try and be civil about things to an extent.

I think if you look at what people are starting to write, we should calm down.

I appologies if this seemed out of line, as I don't post here much.
    05-16-2011 10:33 AM
    I come here looking to find news about the phone I want. I seem to be seeing alot of discontent and agressivness, not sure, but things may be getting a little out of hand. I think it's a little silly that Verizon has not launched a WP7 device with so many android devices already on their shelf. I, however in my opinion, think there is no perfect phone. The idea of a good device is relitive. Different phones work with different users. Android is like windows mobile 6.5 and some earlier in my opinion. It's about the support from the manufacturer. The drivers and software support are important to usability sometimes. I am not going to say everything on Verizon is bad per say. The phones the currently have availible to my knowledge just are not what I want. I don't care what handset, I just want a certain type of device.

I don't think that people need to be as negative about the Verizon line up to the extent that it affects others. I also want the phone to be released, but I am going to try and be civil about things to an extent.

I think if you look at what people are starting to write, we should calm down.

I appologies if this seemed out of line, as I don't post here much.
    Agreed, let's move on.

Does anybody have much familiarity with the camera quality in HTC devices? I am currently stuck with an HTC Droid Eris which doesn't take the best photos (after using a decent Blackberry Tour), so I'm hoping the Trophy is a bit better. From my time with this device, I will say that I am impressed with the overall build of the phone and I'm expecting the Trophy to have a similar if not better build quality. It beats the pants off the Tour's "plasticky" feel.
    05-16-2011 10:55 AM
    Yeah as for me I agree with most people here. I know that sometimes a phone gets heat when others really like it. My fiancee had a storm had to replace it once but she got an update and the phone worked great for her for awhile. She loved it, then one day the touchscreen just died for no reason while we were on a trip. She had the phone for awhile after her contract was up so she got the iphone. I had the imagio which is the worst phone I've ever had it freezes more times then the north pole. So she called and had it replaced before switching phones and I tried using it till I could get a wp7. Well needless to say I went through 3 in 3 weeks and it only took that long cause shipping. I will say I 100% totally agree with wireless vet that verizon never said anything about the release of the trophy to the general public all these "delays" truely aren't delays. That being said sprint has had a wp7 for awhile, but they like microsoft aren't #1 and so they don't have the luxury of testing a phone out and making sure everything is good. They need to rush things out the door to try and lure people to sprint. So I am saying THANK YOU wireless vet for all your help let's get passed all the negative stuff and get down to what we're really here for.

Info on the trophy.

So am I asking really nicely.

Wireless vet do you have any info that you've heard about the trophy coming out.
    05-16-2011 11:00 AM
    Android is like windows mobile 6.5 and some earlier in my opinion.
    You have to be kidding? How could you compare the two?

Wireless vet do you have any info that you've heard about the trophy coming out.
    I don't have any new info. I check every day.
    05-16-2011 11:13 AM
    I hate to say it due to the constant delays, but I'm starting to feel really good about a release this week. If Verizon announces it tomorrow for "preorder" for a presumable Thursday release, would I be able to get the phone on Thursday by ordering it online or via phone? I understand they usually do overnight shipping (or is it two day?), but would it arrive on launch day?
    05-16-2011 11:23 AM
    Ok, maybe not the same but how about; need to root and add some homebrew stuff to make the phone somewhat functional, more different UI layers than MLB has baseballs, battery drain, lag and freezeups. Isn't that enough.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    05-16-2011 11:40 AM
    I hate to say it due to the constant delays, but I'm starting to feel really good about a release this week. If Verizon announces it tomorrow for "preorder" for a presumable Thursday release, would I be able to get the phone on Thursday by ordering it online or via phone? I understand they usually do overnight shipping (or is it two day?), but would it arrive on launch day?
    I would just point out that supposidly the MS offer people will probably get notice at least 2 days before public launch. So with that said, if its not announced today/tomorrow to them (which everyone will probably hear about when it happens) then to me it seems unlikley that it would come out on the 19th. They are given free two day shipping when it comes out...

I was told that it is "imminent" (whatever that means...) by a unnamed source after writing a email to someone close to the situation. The email I received was explicit about me not sharing any of the info in it so I can't post it here. But it didn't give me any info anyways.

Imminent...

Ughhhh.. fristrating...
    05-16-2011 11:59 AM
    Ok, maybe not the same but how about; need to root and add some homebrew stuff to make the phone somewhat functional, more different UI layers than MLB has baseballs, battery drain, lag and freezeups. Isn't that enough.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Whoa whoa whoa. Android is a great mobile operating system and is significantly better than WinMo 6.5. From an engineering perspective, its not even close. WinMo was just Windows CE, Android was actually designed for a smartphone.

The amount of customization available is a design decision Google wanted.

Dont get me wrong, I think WP7 is better than Android but lets not get ignorant and say WinMo and Android are the same.
    05-16-2011 12:12 PM
    I would just point out that supposidly the MS offer people will probably get notice at least 2 days before public launch. So with that said, if its not announced today/tomorrow to them (which everyone will probably hear about when it happens) then to me it seems unlikley that it would come out on the 19th. They are given free two day shipping when it comes out...

I was told that it is "imminent" (whatever that means...) by a unnamed source after writing a email to someone close to the situation. The email I received was explicit about me not sharing any of the info in it so I can't post it here. But it didn't give me any info anyways.

Imminent...

Ughhhh.. fristrating...
    I just got off of a chat with a Verizon rep. Quite funny and same old stuff - no information on "if and when" they will have this phone. But she did inform me that they just got the Charge in and that I might want to look at that. Stonewalled again!
    05-16-2011 12:24 PM
    ahhh crap I just saw this http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...pansion-may-19 over at android central making me not so hopeful for a phone release so they can expand and be more concerened about their 4g network.
    05-16-2011 12:41 PM
    My point is, your post was childish, and it sounds like nothing will make you happy.

His post referred to phones and operating systems that virtually every carrier has. We as employees own all the same phones as you folks do, and in most cases, don't even have 1/4 of the issues that customers claim to have. Let's be serious, do you really believe in someone who has a complaint about every smartphone Verizon carries? I owned the Storm 1 and owned it well after the warranty was long over. That poor phone took a beating in the press and by Blackberry fans. I never had it replaced once.
    no, i know EXACTLY what will make me happy, a wp7 handset. i know this, because i have a focus, and it is one of the best phones i've used in YEARS.

you want a rundown of issues i have with phones i have owned and operating systems?

blackberry storm1: limited memory, slow, poorly designed screen mechanism (i went through 3 of them)
    blackberry storm2: better, but OS is getting outdated (this is what i'm using right now since i sold my iphone and every time i need to use the web browser, i want to shoot myself in the face) surepress mechanism is still gimmicky and makes typing slower
    blackberry tour: still has trackball issues, and OS is still totally outdated if you want to do anything aside from message and email.

benefits to bbOS: excellent messaging system for exchange users, most are global devices.

do i WANT to use it? NO.

motorola droid: limited memory, extremely crappy keyboard (albeit, i didn't use it much), heavy, poor camera quality.
    droid eris: no flash, poor camera quality, low res screen, crappy msm processor
    droid incredible: poor camera quality (i still like this phone)
    droid x: locked bootloader, one of the worst cameras in low light conditions. (it's like you have a screen door in front of all your pictures)
    samsung fascinate: crappy support from samsung (this phone JUST got 2.2), stupid file system does nothing but add lag to the system over time, ridiculous coding on samsung's part (the RIL code is from android 1.6), and touchwiz looks like something a circus clown would throw up.

benefits to android: "open" OS, high level of customizability (which is why the analogies to winmo of old are made, if google doesn't do something to corral fragmentation, it's going to end up a convoluted mess just like winmo did, and in that way i agree with the analogy and see it as a major problem with android)

do i WANT android? NO (i will def reassess android after ice cream comes out, as well as seeing what google actually does with the update partnership thing they announced at I/O)

iphone4: poor notification system, gets old having to jump between 30 apps to do something, itunes (i despise itunes)

benefits to iOS: huge selection of apps, hardware is generally very well designed (i never had the antennagate issues with my phone)

do i WANT iOS? NO

i'm not even going to write a real one for winmo, i had an imagio, and it sucked, end of story, but winmo of old should not even be in this list really.

also, i have never owned a webOS device, but i've played with them, and there's no way i'd be able to use those small screens and keyboards on a daily basis.

i've done more with each and every one of those OS's than you can imagine, and when i say there is nothing on verizon i [currently] WANT it's not out of ignorance or fanboism, i have no loyalty to any company just as they have no loyalty to me. a phone is just another gadget and tool, and i'll use the one that works best with my life.

in that sense, i've never really understood fanboyism and why people feel the need to align themselves with products and companies when talking about something that as trivial as a phone, computer, mp3 player, car, etc when those things really don't matter in the long run.

being that i have a zune pass, xbox live, and use windows on my computers more than linux or macOS, the microsoft ecosystem appeals the most to me and makes my life easier.

you still don't seem to understand that while all the other carriers have the same stuff verizon has, they ALSO carry WP7, which verizon for some reason or another is dragging their feet in releasing.

my post which you for some reason took offense to was in reply to someone wanting to switch platforms, and i was simply stating my experience with them, and having played with wp7 quite a bit now, it is far better imo than other stuff out there. not really sure why you got so defensive.

so how about chilling out and not taking our collective (and understandable) frustration with verizon so personally.
    Tjarren and malachijd like this.
    05-16-2011 12:43 PM
    I would just point out that supposidly the MS offer people will probably get notice at least 2 days before public launch.
    I really don't think we're going to get notified any sooner then everyone else. But if we do, I'll be the first to post. =)

I think it's gotta be thursday, considering the amount of leaks and the "Fake" release we had last thursday. lol
    Adiliyo likes this.
    05-16-2011 12:44 PM
    ahhh crap I just saw this http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...pansion-may-19 over at android central making me not so hopeful for a phone release so they can expand and be more concerened about their 4g network.
    yea, the lack of any other leaks with concrete data on them worry me as well.

the droidx2 had specific details of it's release date and manual leaked already, i find it hard to believe that verizon can keep the trophy stuff so well secured compared to anything else.

so there's two scenario's in my mind

1. there is no promotional and informative material for verizon and there won't be until after release (which seems rather odd)

2. they are delaying it further into the future

both of those things seem weird with all the bestbuy/xbox stuff that showed up last week.

i'll talk to my friend tomorrow, i have him checking with regional managers anyways but there is any info to be had, he'll get it.

although, he laughed when i said i was hoping for the 12th or 19th... :(
    05-16-2011 12:53 PM

Imminent...

Ughhhh.. fristrating...
    yea, my verizon contact told me imminent two weeks ago after the wp7 training came out, but he didn't know what they meant by that either. :P
    05-16-2011 12:55 PM
    I really don't think we're going to get notified any sooner then everyone else. But if we do, I'll be the first to post. =)

I think it's gotta be thursday, considering the amount of leaks and the "Fake" release we had last thursday. lol
    I have a email out to see if I can get out of the 2 year contract they put me on when we reserved it. If so, Bye Bye VZW...
    05-16-2011 12:57 PM
    I just wanted to point out that the bestbuy leaks should be taken lightly. I was interested in the HTC merge in 2010. HTC Merge Shows Up in Best Buy’s Inventories But that phone never even saw the light of day. Im still staying optimistic.
    05-16-2011 01:59 PM
    I just wanted to point out that the bestbuy leaks should be taken lightly. I was interested in the HTC merge in 2010. HTC Merge Shows Up in Best Buys Inventories But that phone never even saw the light of day. Im still staying optimistic.
    True, but the dummy phones and Xbox Live advertisements lend a bit more credence to the "imminent" release. I'm still rubbing my luck rabbits foot for May 19th, but it would not surprise me in the least if that date slipped until June 30th.
    05-16-2011 02:27 PM
    You know, I do drive past a place where you can have your palm read. I wonder if I should stop in there to see if there is a HTC Trophy in my near future :-)
    05-16-2011 02:51 PM
    hahaha
    05-16-2011 02:54 PM
    no, i know EXACTLY what will make me happy, a wp7 handset. i know this, because i have a focus, and it is one of the best phones i've used in YEARS.

you want a rundown of issues i have with phones i have owned and operating systems?

blackberry storm1: limited memory, slow, poorly designed screen mechanism (i went through 3 of them)
    blackberry storm2: better, but OS is getting outdated (this is what i'm using right now since i sold my iphone and every time i need to use the web browser, i want to shoot myself in the face) surepress mechanism is still gimmicky and makes typing slower
    blackberry tour: still has trackball issues, and OS is still totally outdated if you want to do anything aside from message and email.

benefits to bbOS: excellent messaging system for exchange users, most are global devices.

do i WANT to use it? NO.

motorola droid: limited memory, extremely crappy keyboard (albeit, i didn't use it much), heavy, poor camera quality.
    droid eris: no flash, poor camera quality, low res screen, crappy msm processor
    droid incredible: poor camera quality (i still like this phone)
    droid x: locked bootloader, one of the worst cameras in low light conditions. (it's like you have a screen door in front of all your pictures)
    samsung fascinate: crappy support from samsung (this phone JUST got 2.2), stupid file system does nothing but add lag to the system over time, ridiculous coding on samsung's part (the RIL code is from android 1.6), and touchwiz looks like something a circus clown would throw up.

benefits to android: "open" OS, high level of customizability (which is why the analogies to winmo of old are made, if google doesn't do something to corral fragmentation, it's going to end up a convoluted mess just like winmo did, and in that way i agree with the analogy and see it as a major problem with android)

do i WANT android? NO (i will def reassess android after ice cream comes out, as well as seeing what google actually does with the update partnership thing they announced at I/O)

iphone4: poor notification system, gets old having to jump between 30 apps to do something, itunes (i despise itunes)

benefits to iOS: huge selection of apps, hardware is generally very well designed (i never had the antennagate issues with my phone)

do i WANT iOS? NO

i'm not even going to write a real one for winmo, i had an imagio, and it sucked, end of story, but winmo of old should not even be in this list really.

also, i have never owned a webOS device, but i've played with them, and there's no way i'd be able to use those small screens and keyboards on a daily basis.

i've done more with each and every one of those OS's than you can imagine, and when i say there is nothing on verizon i [currently] WANT it's not out of ignorance or fanboism, i have no loyalty to any company just as they have no loyalty to me. a phone is just another gadget and tool, and i'll use the one that works best with my life.

in that sense, i've never really understood fanboyism and why people feel the need to align themselves with products and companies when talking about something that as trivial as a phone, computer, mp3 player, car, etc when those things really don't matter in the long run.

being that i have a zune pass, xbox live, and use windows on my computers more than linux or macOS, the microsoft ecosystem appeals the most to me and makes my life easier.

you still don't seem to understand that while all the other carriers have the same stuff verizon has, they ALSO carry WP7, which verizon for some reason or another is dragging their feet in releasing.

my post which you for some reason took offense to was in reply to someone wanting to switch platforms, and i was simply stating my experience with them, and having played with wp7 quite a bit now, it is far better imo than other stuff out there. not really sure why you got so defensive.

so how about chilling out and not taking our collective (and understandable) frustration with verizon so personally.
    I truly don't get where you all get that I'm taking any of this personally. Someone could call me the most offensive thing possible and I would laugh with great delight. I simply like to call people out when they are expressing ignorance and stupidity,
    05-16-2011 03:52 PM
    I compare the two by the fact that Microsoft use to pretty much let the manufacturer's put the os on almost anything they could get it to work on. The result was products that might not see much support after the first availibility, and many times had issues due to rushed production and possibly flawed drivers. Software was also not checked by Microsoft if my memory is correct. Android is having some issues that in my oppinion are similar to this. Microsoft moved away from doing things in this manor it seems on the mobile platform. Android is now moving this way from what I see.

I don't know if you agree on this or not. I am just stating my opinion.
    05-16-2011 04:26 PM
    Whoa whoa whoa. Android is a great mobile operating system and is significantly better than WinMo 6.5. From an engineering perspective, its not even close. WinMo was just Windows CE, Android was actually designed for a smartphone.

The amount of customization available is a design decision Google wanted.

Dont get me wrong, I think WP7 is better than Android but lets not get ignorant and say WinMo and Android are the same.
    I didn't say they were the same, I said it was like as in they were similar, and from what I see, I stand by my opinion. I have a Windows Phone sitting on my table, the old Motorola MPX200 a device that had Windows Mobile 2002 on it. The precurser to many of the smart phones you currently use. The stuff people did to the phones running this os are vast. Also to the android being built from the ground up statement. Isn't android a linux base? Windows CE is built to run on many platforms. Windows Phone 7 shares some of this doesn't it? Android being linux based still doesn't change that either.
    Last edited by Kitsune5tails; 05-16-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    05-16-2011 04:31 PM
1,015 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD