05-30-2011 08:26 AM
1,015 ... 3132333435 ...
tools
    I too was came away even more impressed with WP7. Bing Vision totally blew me away. That is one powerful tool!!! Also, when they played the demo for British Airways, on how you can see your seating in 3D, simply stunning!
    05-24-2011 11:14 AM
    msft seems to be the only one out there that cares about crafting a user experience and not just a pile of stuff.

mango can't come soon enough! :)
    05-24-2011 12:29 PM
    Mango Looks AWESOME!
    cant wait!

freaking Engadget bashed it, like Verizon, all they care is about iCrap and droid
    Last edited by PZ+WP7; 05-24-2011 at 02:57 PM.
    05-24-2011 02:29 PM
    Seriously, I wonder why Engadget even attended the event.
    05-24-2011 02:45 PM
    i agree, why can't i find a tech blog that just reports things without adding their own bias into their "reporting"

i like gadgets in general, i just want to know what's new and what's going on! :(
    Tjarren likes this.
    05-24-2011 03:04 PM
    I agree. I love most of Gizmodo, but they seem very apple-centric. So their coverage today seemed to be summed up as: mango looks good, but it's mostly stuff that should already be there and since it's "months" away they might be behind again come the fall.

I think they totally missed what I thought was a good point of emphasis - MS wants the apps to seem like part of the OS and less just separate apps. I think that's a key point!
    05-24-2011 03:23 PM
    I agree. I love most of Gizmodo, but they seem very apple-centric. So their coverage today seemed to be summed up as: mango looks good, but it's mostly stuff that should already be there and since it's "months" away they might be behind again come the fall.

I think they totally missed what I thought was a good point of emphasis - MS wants the apps to seem like part of the OS and less just separate apps. I think that's a key point!
    One thing - in the 7 months WP7 has been out no other OS has managed to advance in any significant way to widen the features gap. A few added features but nothing more than adding another app to open. With Mango adding functionality that further extends its uniqueness I cant see any of them matching what WP7 Mango will turn out to be.
    05-24-2011 03:56 PM
    So lets start taking guesses...when does Mango hit our HTC Trophies on Verizon?

"Fall" was probably release to carriers, not push to devices.

I'm guessing November.
    05-24-2011 05:24 PM
    That's a generous assessment. I would actually say winter would be our time, say, late December. Heck, I would even say January knowing Verizon.
    05-24-2011 05:31 PM
    Hi guys. First I'd like to thank everyone for the updates on this phone. I have been following/lurking the forums and figured I would post.

Anyway, I was offered an early upgrade by Verizon and called Verizon Wireless Sales today requesting the HTC trophy. I told the sales agent it would not be avail until Thursday online. Despite this, they said they could take my order and told me I would have the phone by Thursday. They quoted the 199.99+tax price and stated it had $50 mailin rebate, so definitely the right deal. So, we'll see what happens...

Will update if I actually get the phone on thurs, it appears they might have them in stock for shipping already in some cases - I had a pretty bad experience with the last smartphone I had (LG fathom - on my 3rd replacement already in 7mos, I think the phones have defective design where the touchscreen becomes unresponsive over time due to overheating b/c that happened with each one along w/hotspots). In addition to the phone's unreliability, Verizon also terminated some services that were part of the original contract so they were willing to bump up the upgrade date a few months.
    05-24-2011 05:36 PM
    They're not even done announcing all the features. Wait till they announce what's next with Zune and Windows Phone Live.

My guesses/wishlist:

Zune
    * Smart DJ (already confirmed via rumor)
    * Bing Music search (also confirmed by rumor)
    * Music screensaver/visualization (confirmed by rumor)
    * Zune Video Pass
    * Video Marketplace on the phone
    * Marketplace Picks, Mixview, and Zune Inbox
    * Cloud playlists (hinted at by the Zune Insiders)
    * Lyrics (Zune Pass exclusive)

Windows Phone Live
    * Full phone backup, including contact details (custom picture, ringtone, etc.), game save data, text messages, call history, start screen tile arrangement
    * Integration with Skydrive and/or Mesh (though I think they'll probably wait till the '8' release for this)
    * Text from the web
    * Voicemail from the web
    * Install/push apps from the web
    05-24-2011 05:43 PM
    Wouldn't "Zune Inbox" be the same as your Xbox Live inbox?
    05-24-2011 07:14 PM
    The Zune inbox is actually different than the XBOX LIVE inbox as it includes messages sent via zune.net, which are not displayed by XBOX LIVE inbox.
    05-24-2011 07:31 PM
    I don't know, but my guess is no. I don't have an Xbox anymore so I can't check. The Zune inbox is for sharing music/playlists/videos/podcasts with other people.
    05-24-2011 07:32 PM
    Hi guys. First I'd like to thank everyone for the updates on this phone. I have been following/lurking the forums and figured I would post.

Anyway, I was offered an early upgrade by Verizon and called Verizon Wireless Sales today requesting the HTC trophy. I told the sales agent it would not be avail until Thursday online. Despite this, they said they could take my order and told me I would have the phone by Thursday. They quoted the 199.99+tax price and stated it had $50 mailin rebate, so definitely the right deal. So, we'll see what happens...

Will update if I actually get the phone on thurs, it appears they might have them in stock for shipping already in some cases - I had a pretty bad experience with the last smartphone I had (LG fathom - on my 3rd replacement already in 7mos, I think the phones have defective design where the touchscreen becomes unresponsive over time due to overheating b/c that happened with each one along w/hotspots). In addition to the phone's unreliability, Verizon also terminated some services that were part of the original contract so they were willing to bump up the upgrade date a few months.
    I just called 611. Both Customer Service and Telesales had no info on the phone being available for order :-/
    05-24-2011 07:34 PM
    So lets start taking guesses...when does Mango hit our HTC Trophies on Verizon?

"Fall" was probably release to carriers, not push to devices.

I'm guessing November.
    During the conference, he said we'd receive a notice on our phone that the update was available and then just plug it into your PC to get it. Is that how the NoDo went? Is that notice carrier dependent? Weren't the carriers only able to block one update a year and many used on the pre-NoDo?

They're not even done announcing all the features. Wait till they announce what's next with Zune and Windows Phone Live.

My guesses/wishlist:

Zune
    * Smart DJ (already confirmed via rumor)
    * Bing Music search (also confirmed by rumor)
    * Music screensaver/visualization (confirmed by rumor)
    * Zune Video Pass
    * Video Marketplace on the phone
    * Marketplace Picks, Mixview, and Zune Inbox
    * Cloud playlists (hinted at by the Zune Insiders)
    * Lyrics (Zune Pass exclusive)

Windows Phone Live
    * Full phone backup, including contact details (custom picture, ringtone, etc.), game save data, text messages, call history, start screen tile arrangement
    * Integration with Skydrive and/or Mesh (though I think they'll probably wait till the '8' release for this)
    * Text from the web
    * Voicemail from the web
    * Install/push apps from the web
    Exactly. This was a PREVIEW. There is no way they've showed everything. In fact they said to stay tuned for more in the weeks to come.

500 new features is a lot. Even if they're not each worthy of a demo, it's likely there are many more that are.
    05-24-2011 07:34 PM
    The Zune inbox is actually different than the XBOX LIVE inbox as it includes messages sent via zune.net, which are not displayed by XBOX LIVE inbox.
    Thanks, I just know that sometimes when I check my Zune inbox there will be xbox live friend requests/messages in there.
    05-24-2011 07:47 PM
    I just called 611. Both Customer Service and Telesales had no info on the phone being available for order :-/
    Then I either got lucky or it was due to my extensive complaint history with my current phone. Or I might not even get it on Thurs, guess we'll see.
    05-24-2011 09:11 PM
    Anybody else notice in the Joe Belfiore video that he seemed to be doing his Mango demo on a Trophy? It's nice to see the potential of this supposed "mediocre" hardware.
    05-24-2011 11:53 PM
    05-25-2011 12:01 AM
    came across this just now while i was searching for any information on the full retail price of the vzw Trophy:

Mobile Phones MP3iPodMobiles - HTC Trophy 7 (Black) Windows Phone 7 SIM Free / Unlocked

now, i realize some of these sites that sell phones are less than reputable, but a few points to note here:
    1) i realize this is the "international" version that's been out for a while, 8gb, GSM
    2) it's selling for $389 USD
    3) it calls out an SLCD screen

i'm hoping this bodes well in both areas for the present ambiguities for the vzw Trophy - whether or not it really has an SLCD screen, and what its retail (off-contract) price will be
    05-25-2011 12:02 AM
    During the conference, he said we'd receive a notice on our phone that the update was available and then just plug it into your PC to get it. Is that how the NoDo went? Is that notice carrier dependent? Weren't the carriers only able to block one update a year and many used on the pre-NoDo?
    no, there was no "bypass" to get nodo, officially anyway. you COULD get your zune software tricked in to giving you nodo, but it was an "unsupported method."
    during the whole debacle, belfiore came out and explained that carriers CAN block updates, but not consecutive ones. meaning, for example, if your carrier had blocked Nodo, they CANNOT block Mango. likewise if you got Nodo, you could have Mango blocked but NOT the next release or patch-set/bugfix update.

I, personally, am looking forward to what the ChevronWP7 guys do w/ Mango in the way of unlocking stuff, and perhaps getting us access to the Mango OS long before it hits the carriers' set of roadblocks.

as a related sidenote, HTC has a history of being some of the quickest-updated phones on the market, across all carriers, because they don't customize the **** out of their ROMs. Samsung, on the other hand, is one of the worst. (incidentally, if you recall, it was Samsung phones that had the pre/nodo update issues)

the Mango demo today sold me hardcore as well, although I'm still anxious to find out what the off-contract price will be, and plan to hold out for a couple of weeks after Trophy comes out officially to hopefully score it for $0.01 on Amazon or something, much like what happened to the Focus.
    05-25-2011 12:12 AM
    the device that joe was using to demo things is not a trophy, it's an htc dev device similar to the ones asus(acer?) made for the gen1 chassis, it's just that htc is making them for the gen2 chassis.

they probably used the trophy frame because it's so basic, but it has a gyroscope in it, as well as (iirc) the newer qualcomm soc.

i want to hear more about the turn by turn nav!
    05-25-2011 02:52 AM
    no, there was no "bypass" to get nodo, officially anyway. you COULD get your zune software tricked in to giving you nodo, but it was an "unsupported method."
    during the whole debacle, belfiore came out and explained that carriers CAN block updates, but not consecutive ones. meaning, for example, if your carrier had blocked Nodo, they CANNOT block Mango. likewise if you got Nodo, you could have Mango blocked but NOT the next release or patch-set/bugfix update.

I, personally, am looking forward to what the ChevronWP7 guys do w/ Mango in the way of unlocking stuff, and perhaps getting us access to the Mango OS long before it hits the carriers' set of roadblocks.

as a related sidenote, HTC has a history of being some of the quickest-updated phones on the market, across all carriers, because they don't customize the **** out of their ROMs. Samsung, on the other hand, is one of the worst. (incidentally, if you recall, it was Samsung phones that had the pre/nodo update issues)

the Mango demo today sold me hardcore as well, although I'm still anxious to find out what the off-contract price will be, and plan to hold out for a couple of weeks after Trophy comes out officially to hopefully score it for $0.01 on Amazon or something, much like what happened to the Focus.
    while htc is far better than samsung at releasing updates (but really, who isn't?) it's verizon's testing process that really slows down updates, so hopefully they can step up their game and get updates out at least on par with other carriers, but going by past experience, i would say verizon will get them probably 2-3 months after everyone else.

heck, even apple, who was lauded for having such unified updates (which really wasn't all that amazing since they had essentially one phone on one network, how hard would that be) can't get the verizon iphone4 up to parity with the att one, it doesn't even have 4.3 yet... :\
    05-25-2011 02:54 AM
    Funny... I just got off the phone with Verizon, via *611 ( Wednesday morning EST ) and was inches away from giving verizon my credit card number, when she came back and said "the system is allowing her look at the device and my account (in verizon system), but when she goes through the ordering process, the order option is greyed out ( on her screen). DAMNNNNNN!!!

Anyway, i confirmed with her 3 different times that if i order the trophy on Thurday morning, via on-line or on the phone and overnight shipping is selected, then i should recieve the phone on Friday May 27. She also advised me to order on-line because that is the only way to get overnight shipping ( not sure why ???)
    (maybe free overnight ????)

And one last nugget of info, she kept making comments to me that i was to recieve an additional $50 off the price, due to loyallty discounts. Before she was getting the greyed out option on her screen to order the phone for me, she said the total price for today was going to be $100.00. !!!!!

Anybody else know about this??? It's the first i have heard of it.
    05-25-2011 10:11 AM
1,015 ... 3132333435 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD