Called Verizon Today

swantonsoup

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think pdadb.net has any insider info. It looks like the dates there are not very reliable (for the HD7S it lists a release date of "April, 2011").

Plus, I don't think it's likely that MS will release the update on the same day of their event. As far as I know they haven't even released Mango to developers yet.

I gotta agree with Thed. May for Mango would be well ahead of schedule. Isn't Mango planned for Q4 with rumors of it slipping into next year?

Regardless, I can't wait to see the IE9 demos.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
may 24th is when they are having a preview of the consumer oriented features that are coming in mango.

it has always been stated that mango is a fall or early 2012 release.

as for retail price, i'm going to guess $400 since that's what the droid x is listed at and on contract it's $150 as well after all the discounts.

i'm torn on keeping with my att plan and focus now and waiting until the second gen devices show up though for verizon.... :\

Biased123

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
may 24th is when they are having a preview of the consumer oriented features that are coming in mango.

it has always been stated that mango is a fall or early 2012 release.

as for retail price, i'm going to guess $400 since that's what the droid x is listed at and on contract it's $150 as well after all the discounts.

i'm torn on keeping with my att plan and focus now and waiting until the second gen devices show up though for verizon.... :\

Good call. Is $300 more (with the $99 MS offer pricing) worth it so that I can order something nesxt year on contract?

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
MS offer pricing is $99.99... I am working to figure out if they offer a reduced non-contract pricing option. That might be ideal... I suppose I can always just pay the ETF and get a new contract with a different carrier next year...

It really does figure that the phone comes out during our vacation to a foreign country where the global phone aspect would have saved me money.. stupid VZW...

Where did you see the MS offer pricing? Does it also come with the xbox game for that price? I am still deciding if I will jump ship for this Focus I am testing out. Its looking less likely with the new pricing.

Khensu

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm wondering where you saw this MS offer pricing as well. I've already emailed the MS Verizon contact to see if the other offers apply (50 dollar rebate, XBOX Game)... waiting on that info.

**** if I can get the trophy for 99 on each of my lines I'll probably buy 3 of them and sell 2 on Ebay since my wife and mother in-law don't want new phones. :)

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
After some thought, I still don't think the LCD vs. SLCD should be a deal breaker. It would be nice to have SLCD, but honestly the reviews state that it's a nice looking screen - bright and clear. It's not comparable to the Focus obviously, but I haven't seen anyone do screens better than Samsung.

It's about the price. To have it cost that much after all of this time with the only upgrade being memory and an apparent downgrade back to the original LCD screen is very disappointing.

Be honest, if the coverage is comparable, what is the benefit of getting this phone instead of one of the other phones on competing networks that are so much cheaper now? :dry

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
It's about the price. To have it cost that much after all of this time with the only upgrade being memory and an apparent downgrade back to the original LCD screen is very disappointing.

Be honest, if the coverage is comparable, what is the benefit of getting this phone instead of one of the other phones on competing networks that are so much cheaper now? :dry

IF the coverage is comparable, AND you're not stuck on a contract (ie, multiple lines where you have an upgrade for one but are still stuck with verizon because of the others) then there is no comparison, personally, if tmobile had good coverage where i live and work i would have jumped to them with an hd7 when it first came out, simply because their plans are sooooo cheap compared to verizon.

the only thing the trophy really has going for it (especially if the sLCD screens actually aren't there) is that it's on verizon, for a lot of people, that's all that matters, a WP7 phone on the network they use.

and for a lot of people who are upgrading to the trophy from a significantly older handset, the quality of any modern screen will look good. :p

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Just saw this on Windows Phone 7 Forum site. Interesting reading.

Windows Phone 7 - WP 7.5 Mango update due out May 24th?

:excl:

I don't think pdadb.net has any insider info. It looks like the dates there are not very reliable (for the HD7S it lists a release date of "April, 2011").

Plus, I don't think it's likely that MS will release the update on the same day of their event. As far as I know they haven't even released Mango to developers yet.

I'm pretty sure the only release of Mango will be to developers at the MS VIP Preview event on that day.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
IF the coverage is comparable, AND you're not stuck on a contract (ie, multiple lines where you have an upgrade for one but are still stuck with verizon because of the others) then there is no comparison, personally, if tmobile had good coverage where i live and work i would have jumped to them with an hd7 when it first came out, simply because their plans are sooooo cheap compared to verizon.

the only thing the trophy really has going for it (especially if the sLCD screens actually aren't there) is that it's on verizon, for a lot of people, that's all that matters, a WP7 phone on the network they use.

and for a lot of people who are upgrading to the trophy from a significantly older handset, the quality of any modern screen will look good. :p

That's true. I am still using a dumbphone. :p

The only thing really comparable to VZW where I am is Sprint (HQ is here so it better be good), but the Trophy appeals to me more than the Arrive. I just planned on getting this off contract and saving myself for one of the newer devices next year and now I'm thinking this thing is going to cost $449 or more. I can get a gorgeous screened Focus on Craigslist for around $200 (wonder where I got that idea from ...), so I'm trying to figure this out. I'm leaving town around the 26th, so there are several things pushing me away from this device. Ugh ...:confused:

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
That's true. I am still using a dumbphone. :p

The only thing really comparable to VZW where I am is Sprint (HQ is here so it better be good), but the Trophy appeals to me more than the Arrive. I just planned on getting this off contract and saving myself for one of the newer devices next year and now I'm thinking this thing is going to cost $449 or more. I can get a gorgeous screened Focus on Craigslist for around $200 (wonder where I got that idea from ...), so I'm trying to figure this out. I'm leaving town around the 26th, so there are several things pushing me away from this device. Ugh ...:confused:

if you are going out of town, it might be a good time to test out AT&T's netowkr with a off contract focus, i picked up a prepaid sim (which 100% works with the focus) it's costing me $19.99/mo for unlim texts, $25/mo for 500mb of data and 10cents a minute (you can also do $2 a day for unlim talk and texts, but i barely talk to people on the phone)

it's not a bad price to test out the network with no commitment at all, and if i don't like it, i'll have a replacement for my zuneHD with a bigger screen and a SAMOLED display.

so this is what is shaping up to being my current plan (provided samsung fixes my focus under warranty)

use the focus until either:

1. find a trophy for ~$200 on CL/ebay
2. verizon comes out with some gen2 hardware (really pulling for one of those nokia renders)

i was going to originally add a line to my plan to get the trophy (and then swap esn on that to a dummy or some dumbphone i have somewhere) but i have an upgrade coming up in october, which might put me in line for some holiday release lineup excitement.

OR, i could just become extremely happy with ATT in the meantime and leave verizon altogether.

see what happens when you drag your feet verizon?! ;)

ThaFunk

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Welp this is my first time posting, but I have been reading this forum pretty religiously the last few weeks. Anyways, I thought I would relate to y'all my experience with Big effin Red regarding the HTC Trophy. First, my wife went to a store to pick up her (free) new dumbphone after being eligible for an upgrade. She knows I have been (obsessively) researching WP7 coming to Verizon, so she asked the rep about the Trophy (I know, I'm a lucky fella!)

Anyways, the rep at the VZW store basically told her that Verizon basically doesn't really want to sell the Trophy and would be pushing other smartphone options on prospective buyers in his store. He gave her myriad reasons why WP7 is inferior. Same ol' BS.

Flash forward to this morning, and I stop by a VZW store in downtown Seattle and ask them about when they will begin selling the Trophy. They didn't know!!! And this was after Verizon had issued the press release announcing the Trophy!! And then one of the reps, who seriously looked like he may have been stoned, told me "you know, the HTC Thunderbolt is really an incredible phone." They didn't know anything about WP7 and immediately turned me toward the Android offerings on their displays. I couldn't believe it.

I thought that everyone stating that VZW has something against WP7 and such were speaking purely out of frustration but these two experiences have certainly opened my eyes.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
that's a bummer, makes me more indecisive about signing a contract.... :|

Unlimited data is about to come to an end, so if you use a lot of data better to sign now and get grandfathered in. Then, when new hardware comes out, sell the Trophy on ebay. Odds are its value will plummet faster than other phones since its hardware is already dated and overpriced, but you'll make up for it with the unlimited data plan.

Let's do quick math.
Option 1:
Buy off-contract now: - $399 (or is it $499?)
Sell for 40% down the road: + $160
Buy new Microkia phone: -$199
Total: - $439

Option 2:
Buy in-contract now: - $149
Sell for 40% of value down road: +160
Buy new Microkia full-retail: $-499
Total: -$488

Depends on what the full retail value is, but those figures are close enough that being grandfathered in to unlimited data may be worthwhile.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Welp this is my first time posting, but I have been reading this forum pretty religiously the last few weeks. Anyways, I thought I would relate to y'all my experience with Big effin Red regarding the HTC Trophy. First, my wife went to a store to pick up her (free) new dumbphone after being eligible for an upgrade. She knows I have been (obsessively) researching WP7 coming to Verizon, so she asked the rep about the Trophy (I know, I'm a lucky fella!)

Anyways, the rep at the VZW store basically told her that Verizon basically doesn't really want to sell the Trophy and would be pushing other smartphone options on prospective buyers in his store. He gave her myriad reasons why WP7 is inferior. Same ol' BS.

Flash forward to this morning, and I stop by a VZW store in downtown Seattle and ask them about when they will begin selling the Trophy. They didn't know!!! And this was after Verizon had issued the press release announcing the Trophy!! And then one of the reps, who seriously looked like he may have been stoned, told me "you know, the HTC Thunderbolt is really an incredible phone." They didn't know anything about WP7 and immediately turned me toward the Android offerings on their displays. I couldn't believe it.

I thought that everyone stating that VZW has something against WP7 and such were speaking purely out of frustration but these two experiences have certainly opened my eyes.

the company will sell whatever gets people locked into a contract, and while the CEO might not care for the platform, i'm sure the board does if it means more people resigning contracts, or jumping to verizon.

as for employees, i've noticed verizon has the most sales oriented CS reps (generally speaking, the ones i continue to actually work with aren't) out of all the providers stores i've visited. so the reps are going to sell what they actually know, what they are told to sell that week/month to meet sales goals, etc.

honestly, if i was in sales, i would sell the platform that is going to have the least amount of frustrated/confused customers coming back not knowing how to use their phone. IMO that would be the iphone, or a wp7 phone.

going to a verizon store feels like going to a car dealership.

again, this is just my personal experience, i'm not trying to offend or paint all reps like that. i'm just saying it was surprisingly refreshing to deal with the few att reps i've dealt with (but i'm sure there's a ton of annoying-full-of-misinformation ones from them and everyone else too)

it's the major drawback to commissioned sales people in general.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Unlimited data is about to come to an end, so if you use a lot of data better to sign now and get grandfathered in. Then, when new hardware comes out, sell the Trophy on ebay. Odds are its value will plummet faster than other phones since its hardware is already dated and overpriced, but you'll make up for it with the unlimited data plan.

Let's do quick math.
Option 1:
Buy off-contract now: - $399 (or is it $499?)
Sell for 40% down the road: + $160
Buy new Microkia phone: -$199
Total: - $439

Option 2:
Buy in-contract now: - $149
Sell for 40% of value down road: +160
Buy new Microkia full-retail: $-499
Total: -$488

Depends on what the full retail value is, but those figures are close enough that being grandfathered in to unlimited data may be worthwhile.

the unlimited data is the one thing that is appealing to me staying with verizon, but when i look at my actual usage, in the last 3 months i've used about 300-500MB roughly each month, so while i HATE HATE HATE the idea of having to monitor my data usage, in my personal use, i doubt a 2gb cap would really bother me (especially if they lowered their prices like att did)

what would be nice is if they tiered it similar to tmobile where you are throttled after a certain amount, but not capped.

what would be REALLY nice would be if they left it unlimited, lowered the price, and if anything capped 4g (which i really don't care about)

the latter probably will never happen, but a guy can dream right? ;)

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I emailed HTC to ask why they downgraded the Verizon Trophy to LCD. Will let you guys know if I get a response.

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Here's the thing, especially with this phone. The store manager or opening manager covers info like this BRIEFLY, if at all, at a short meeting before the store opens and for the folks who come in for afternoon shifts. Sometimes, it doesn't get covered. I don't think the official press release was issued until after the stores opened. Unless its a major phone release, which this is not, the store management will only ensure that the reps have done their computer based training and will make the reps aware that this phone is being released on the day it is released. A Windows or HTC rep may stop in to see if the store reps have any questions, but there won't be any elaborate store training. As blunt as this sounds, our business is about contracts and the reps achieving some sky high goals, especially these days. I agree it is important for product knowledge, but the reps have much more to deal with and much more to be responsible for then knowing every detail on every phone released.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05