Called Verizon Today

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
@adiliyo

If you decide to get three and scalp two.. send me a PM where your listing it ;) Also how did you get 500meg on a prepaid ? I only saw the 200meg variety ?

I for one will NEVER sign another contract with VZW. In fact.. given the screen downgrade on the Trophy.. I may just keep paying AT&T for my Focus.. until my contract is up with VZW..

If I find a Trophy on ebay or CL for cheap.. maybe I'll buy one.. but I'll never sign another contract with VZW. They have beat me enough for one lifetime waiting for the trophy..

OH BIG question here...

Does anyone know if the phone has the AT&T bands in it.. originally the rumor was it did...

when i looked at the go phone options there were two data plans, one for $15 (iirc) that was the lower data cap, and one for $25 that was 500mb, so i just picked that one..

as far as the bands on the trophy goes, if it's designed like other verizon global devices, it will have att and tmobile bands, but only for edge service, so if you unlock it, you can use it on either network, but you won't get 3G in the states.

being that the trophy is starting off at 149 on verizon, i have a feeling i'll be able to pick one up in mid/late june for around 200 on craigslist or ebay, so i'll probably do that...

LOL we are not told "what to sell" on any given week. I've spent as much time on industry blogs as I have spent in the industry, and the misunderstanding and misconceptions of our job is so unbelievably laughable.

i'm sure you aren't told what to sell directly, but you have sales goals, and if they aren't targeted at specific devices, then the bias that many store reps have for certain devices which clearly may not be the best choice for a specific customer are what is unbelievable and laughable in my opinion.

i've seen completely techno-incompetent people being pushed onto android phones which they are almost guaranteed not competent to be able to use, when all they really need are featurephones.

again, this is just my experience at the handful of verizon stores i tend to frequent, there are stellar employees for sure as well, but there's also a ton of bad ones too.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Here's the thing, especially with this phone. The store manager or opening manager covers info like this BRIEFLY, if at all, at a short meeting before the store opens and for the folks who come in for afternoon shifts. Sometimes, it doesn't get covered. I don't think the official press release was issued until after the stores opened. Unless its a major phone release, which this is not, the store management will only ensure that the reps have done their computer based training and will make the reps aware that this phone is being released on the day it is released. A Windows or HTC rep may stop in to see if the store reps have any questions, but there won't be any elaborate store training. As blunt as this sounds, our business is about contracts and the reps achieving some sky high goals, especially these days. I agree it is important for product knowledge, but the reps have much more to deal with and much more to be responsible for then knowing every detail on every phone released.

I agree, but understand that a phones release date, as opposed to every other thing a rep has to know and be responsible for, is very low on their priority list

Just to be clear, I was referring to the bold part where I interpreted your statement as store reps giving priority to other things than knowing their product, not specifically release dates but being conversant with WP7 so they can best advise a customer looking to make a purchase. Wires crossed perhaps but not really relevant anymore.

Nevertheless, you've provided some excellent info to all and thats appreciated. I am just happy that my co-worker will be able to finally get a WP7 and we can take on the sea of android and iphone users around us! To Mango and beyond!

spacedog

May 20, 2011
Visit site
LOL we are not told "what to sell" on any given week. I've spent as much time on industry blogs as I have spent in the industry, and the misunderstanding and misconceptions of our job is so unbelievably laughable.

I believe that your statement is technically true. None of the reps are explicitly told what to sell. But please don't try to pretend that it's still not made obvious to them. Verizon gets 30% of all Android app store sales, plus they get people onto a data plan with an Andriod phone. Only a complete moron can't put two and two together on that one.

I've seen "secret shopper" reports clearly showing a vast majority of reps steering people away from newly launched (non-Android) devices, despite the shoppers specifically asking to see the device. And I've experienced this personally on two different occasions.

So, while I do appreciate what you're doing for the community here, please don't insult our intelligence by trying to claim that Verizon's sales force is unbiased, and especially that they aren't incentivized to sell certain products over others, because by definition (and in reality) that isn't true. They are a SALES force, employed by Verizon, whose primary purpose is to generate income for Verizon. Nothing personal against them -- most I've met seem to be nice people -- but I don't expect a Verizon sales rep to look out for my interests any more than a car salesman would.

Last edited:

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Wireless vet - any word back from HTC about the screen

I posted this yesterday, I think through all the discussion, it got lost:

wireless vet

wireless vet is on a distinguished road

I have the spec sheet in front of me. It clearly states "3.8 inch WVGA TFT LCD With capacatative touch screen"

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
HTC Trophy? Brings Windows Phone 7 To Verizon Wireless

now on VZ's site.

I wonder what the full price will be :(
I, too, am wondering this. I called VZW yesterday to ask and the rep couldn't find it listed in his system anywhere. Hopeing wireless vet can help us out here

So what's the likelihood of the Trophy being in any store, like Bestbuy, Walmart, etc, on the 26? I'm leaving out of town on the 27 so if I could get it beforehand, that would be great.
I called my local BB yesterday, since they were the ones to tell me earlier this week they'd be getting it in on the 19th. They, of course, relayed that it'd been delayed to next Thurs, and they would have them in stock at that time. That'll be where I get mine as I have $280 in gift cards from xmas & birthday that i explicity asked for and have saved for the WP7 on VZW. If that puts a big enough dent in the off-contract price, I'll be going that route so i can get the "good" wp7 hardware when it comes out, on-contract.

Go to Best Buy and bribe the employees to sell it to ya sooner :p

Maybe you'll be lucky and get an incompetent employee that'll sell it to ya early. idk about the free Xbox game offer though.
Incidentally, when i called my local BB, he said that sometimes when a phone is delayed at the last minute like that, they'll actually get some in, then just don't put them out until "release day" - in fact he told me they have the Droid x2 in the store right now and I could buy it, and it's not supposed to be released until the 26th either. I was going to start calling around to all the BBs in my area to see if anybody got a Trophy shipment :) but i haven't.

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
i'm sure you aren't told what to sell directly, but you have sales goals, and if they aren't targeted at specific devices, then the bias that many store reps have for certain devices which clearly may not be the best choice for a specific customer are what is unbelievable and laughable in my opinion.

100 percent incorrect. We do not make any money off of the phones. Not a penny. I've heard these rumors all along, it used to be that we got a spiff for selling Blackberry, then the rumor was Android, and one of the best I've ever heard, there was supposedly a "counter" on our computers that we had to click every time someone asked about an iPhone. Ridiculous. There is indeed an emphasis on smartphones, and there is indeed a high target for smartphone mix in our sales, but it doesn't deviate between one phone or another.

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I believe that your statement is technically true. None of the reps are explicitly told what to sell. But please don't try to pretend that it's still not made obvious to them. Verizon gets 30% of all Android app store sales, plus they get people onto a data plan with an Andriod phone. Only a complete moron can't put two and two together on that one.

You may want to be careful who you are referring to as a moron, because it just may be yourself.

We don't make a penny on phones, so we don't care what phone you buy. I personally take a lot of pride in being a tech guru while most of my fellow employees aren't, but even though I am happy with my Thunderbolt, I am not loyal to one OS over another, nor does promoting one operating system over another make me any more money. I/we are paid on sales dollars sold on acquiring new lines of service, renewing existing customers, accessory sales, and sales dollars generated from data sales like smart phones and mobile broadband device. No where in that mix do we get compensated any extra for selling any particular brand of phone, or any particular operating system. Period.

Last edited:

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
You know I can't speak for the rest of you but I spoke to a customer service person on the phone and I'd have to agree with wireless vet on this one. She was very helpful and once I mentioned the trophy she said they didn't have a release date (that was before the announcement) but she said since I expressed interest in the phone she could let me know when she finds something out and did offer to renew 2 of my contract 2 months early. So I do believe wireless vet in the fact that they want contracts over anything else. So once again thanks wireless vet you've been really helpful

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
You know I can't speak for the rest of you but I spoke to a customer service person on the phone and I'd have to agree with wireless vet on this one. She was very helpful and once I mentioned the trophy she said they didn't have a release date (that was before the announcement) but she said since I expressed interest in the phone she could let me know when she finds something out and did offer to renew 2 of my contract 2 months early. So I do believe wireless vet in the fact that they want contracts over anything else. So once again thanks wireless vet you've been really helpful

Louie, as brazen as it sounds, that's what it's all about. Contracts. I WISH we made money, or some kind of spiffs on phones. Anyone with any kind of common sense should be able to see how giving us spiffs for selling one phone or another would be a HUGE conflict of interest.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
100 percent incorrect. We do not make any money off of the phones. Not a penny. I've heard these rumors all along, it used to be that we got a spiff for selling Blackberry, then the rumor was Android, and one of the best I've ever heard, there was supposedly a "counter" on our computers that we had to click every time someone asked about an iPhone. Ridiculous. There is indeed an emphasis on smartphones, and there is indeed a high target for smartphone mix in our sales, but it doesn't deviate between one phone or another.

I think people get these weird ideas because they can't tell the difference between a person being paid for selling something specific, and a person who just happens to be the rabid ****** of the week.

When technology is the question, fanboyism is the likely answer. Just ask any gamestop. (Nothing against gamestop, used to work for them, but I definitely know the culture! LOL)

All of Verizon's bigger releases have gone through this period of "See? You don't have to have an iPhone!" And it takes a little fanboyism to get that across. Problem is that consumer mentality that the iPhone is "perfect" is still there, and isn't easy to shake. Android has managed to beat the odds, but every time the smallest little thing goes wrong it's always "Why didn't I wait for the iPhone?" or "Why didn't I get an iPhone?" Especially now that VZW has the darn thing, fanboyism doesn't do much other than make the customer think you're being paid by the competition in those situations.

Consumers tend to be very scared of computers, since there's so much that can potentially go wrong. Many of them buy PDAs so they don't have to buy computers. Many of them don't understand the concept of "user error". I think some reps need to understand the customer's mental state when they suggest a device.

But all that considered, it sure as heck doesn't mean anything in terms of our paychecks!

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site
When technology is the question, fanboyism is the likely answer. Just ask any gamestop. (Nothing against gamestop, used to work for them, but I definitely know the culture! LOL)...

... I think some reps need to understand the customer's mental state when they suggest a device.

This is very true.

I happen to work work for a retailer that just happens to sell phones today we had three people who were having issues with their smartphones (a Droid X, an iPhone, and an Optimus T) and neither one should have gotten a smartphone.

The guy with the iPhone couldn't seem to find a ringtone that was loud enough for him. He was an older gentleman who didn't seem to really understand the device, and I doubt he uses enough data (if he uses it at all) to justify the device.

The guy with the Droid X was also an apparently non techy older gentleman who couldn't figure out how to make or answer phone calls on it.

The Optimus T owner is our manager, who knows nothing about tech. He seems to pester our phone sales people daily with a new issue. A few times they've managed to make things worse, which only manages to make him really pissed.

IamVortigaunt

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if there are any physical differences between the Verizon Trophy and the GSM Trophy? I'm looking at cases and screen protectors on Amazon in advance of the launch, but I'm not sure if they'll work correctly with the new phone. Anyone have any info on this?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Boy, this thread quieted down quick, what gives?

Everyone is probably still in shock that the thing is finally coming out...lol
We are XBOX people during the week at work we post in the forums but on the weekend spend a lot of time playing XBOX or doing stuff like fishing, shooting real guns, or hiking.

Anyone know if there are any physical differences between the Verizon Trophy and the GSM Trophy? I'm looking at cases and screen protectors on Amazon in advance of the launch, but I'm not sure if they'll work correctly with the new phone. Anyone have any info on this?

You could make a thread about it in the Accessories sub forum. ;)

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site

I believe they are the same. The only change I know of is the addition of the CDMA radio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos