Called Verizon Today

Biased123

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I just am wondering about specs (and specifically the possibility of an SLCD)...

" It will offer a 3.8-inch TFT screen with WVGA resolution, 1GHz processor, 5MP camera with HD recording capabilities and 16GB built-in memory among other goodies."

Seems as though this is common knowledge for the most part, but I wonder if a lot of this data is just copied from the MS offer and/or the Verizon online guide...

I hope to see at some point today what the screen is (for sure) and verify the release is the 12th. If we can get those two things answered, then awesome...

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I just am wondering about specs (and specifically the possibility of an SLCD)...

" It will offer a 3.8-inch TFT screen with WVGA resolution, 1GHz processor, 5MP camera with HD recording capabilities and 16GB built-in memory among other goodies."

Seems as though this is common knowledge for the most part, but I wonder if a lot of this data is just copied from the MS offer and/or the Verizon online guide...

I hope to see at some point today what the screen is (for sure) and verify the release is the 12th. If we can get those two things answered, then awesome...

i don't see why they would create a whole separate manuf process just to screw us out of the slcd screens going into the current trophys....if vzw issues a press release, it should have all the important (not the lcd type though) specs on it.

Biased123

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You would think that if the thing is at Bestbuy (even the dummy model), that the information is available... We'll find out I guess...

Retrospectively, this single device launch has proven to myself that I do actually have patience. Waiting for ~ 5 months has made me a better person... hahahh. They just not better do it again!!!

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
You would think that if the thing is at Bestbuy (even the dummy model), that the information is available... We'll find out I guess...

Retrospectively, this single device launch has proven to myself that I do actually have patience. Waiting for ~ 5 months has made me a better person... hahahh. They just not better do it again!!!

they didn't have one of their info/price cards with it in the picture, but it could be due to them not having printed one out yet, or that it's not in their system to print yet.

thursday's looking pretty good though, i can't wait!

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
they didn't have one of their info/price cards with it in the picture, but it could be due to them not having printed one out yet, or that it's not in their system to print yet.

That's most likely the issue. The pricing cards aren't often available till 24 hours before it is put on the shelf.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Well seeing as this might be moving to outside the realm of verizon and into the realm of let's say (best buy ;) ) I have a friend who works there so I asked him to check around and see what he can find out so let's keep our fingers crossed. And hey wirless vet don't you go saying anything to dash my hopes on this. Like I said earlier waiting has made me crazy and wanting to kill and I'd hate to kill someone that gave me good news and might give me more >:)

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I hoped it would have some fanfare, as Verizon could push that we can finally get the NEW WP7 on the most reliable network in the country. But there are three things that pop up in my head as to why its not getting the Droid treatment:

1) It's not going to be the best WP7 device available bar none like the Droid was when it launched.

2) Verizon is not the premier partner as they were/are for Google. AT&T got that distinction and thus all of the advertising.

3) The scary one ........ that there won't be enough devices available for such promotion. Limited numbers for a heavily promoted launch would mean a lot of frustrated customers. It still might be a problem depending on how many Verizon customers held out and are waiting for these devices ...

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
so i finally got a hold of my friend from verizon today.

he says he has no information regarding the trophy, but they don't tell them much of anything until a day before release, and he didn't have any information for the other two devices rumored to be launching this week as well (droid x2 and the lg revolution) so that bodes well, as i don't see three devices being delayed.

his store gets shipments in on wednesdays, so he should have a definitive answer tomorrow, as if they don't get any handsets in the shipment, things will look pretty bleak.

sorry to be the bearer of not so stellar news, but personally, i still have hope that it will be released this week. and i should have an even better idea tomorrow.

on a side note, they also have a ton of droid charges actually sitting in the store that they aren't allowed to sell, so verizon really seems to be dropping the ball all over the place lately.

personally, once my contract ends with the trophy, if
1. att buys tmob and
2. verizon keeps up with this crappy customer service
i'm probably going to leave verizon after 10+ years as a customer (i had them back when they were airtouch and they had crappy phone selected even then!)

surprise me verizon, and keep me (and my company, and probably most of my friends if i jump ship) as a loyal customer.

Biased123

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Went by Bestbuy to see if there were any dummies up there and could not find anything about it. I am still hodling out hope considering the other two phones thought to be released on May 12th for Verizon are still not showing up anywhere either.

Maybe they will all be released on May19th, but I think if it doesn't show anywhere tomorrow (including the MS offer) that May 19th is looking more likely. I thought for sure that the MS offer would give the ability to order sooner than the release but maybe not...

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
yea, i'm surprised that no one that used the ms offer has been contacted regarding how to pick it up, or being informed of a later release.

Biased123

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
yea, i'm surprised that no one that used the ms offer has been contacted regarding how to pick it up, or being informed of a later release.

Exactly, this means to me that its either this week or next. I was expecting this Thursday and it fit with all the news and the MS offer and the best buy slip (I don't think they were suppose to put that up yet)...

Assuming it is released on May 12th, what it means to me is that the employees will either have to pick it up at the company store, it will be delivered to their desk (doubtful), or it will be shipped to them and will get it later than the public (even though the offer is to reserve a copy).

It really makes me think that the 19th is more likely. I will hold out hope though...

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
in some ways it kind of makes sense i guess, that they will just get an email or phone call saying that they can go pick up their phone at their local verizon store, be given some redemption code to get it from the website, or told how to get it from the msft channels on the 12th.

but most of that is probably just my brain rationalizing the lack of info. :p

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
so i finally got a hold of my friend from verizon today.

he says he has no information regarding the trophy, but they don't tell them much of anything until a day before release, and he didn't have any information for the other two devices rumored to be launching this week as well (droid x2 and the lg revolution) so that bodes well, as i don't see three devices being delayed.

his store gets shipments in on wednesdays, so he should have a definitive answer tomorrow, as if they don't get any handsets in the shipment, things will look pretty bleak.

sorry to be the bearer of not so stellar news, but personally, i still have hope that it will be released this week. and i should have an even better idea tomorrow.

on a side note, they also have a ton of droid charges actually sitting in the store that they aren't allowed to sell, so verizon really seems to be dropping the ball all over the place lately.

personally, once my contract ends with the trophy, if
1. att buys tmob and
2. verizon keeps up with this crappy customer service
i'm probably going to leave verizon after 10+ years as a customer (i had them back when they were airtouch and they had crappy phone selected even then!)

surprise me verizon, and keep me (and my company, and probably most of my friends if i jump ship) as a loyal customer.

Just wondering if you consider no information on this phone "crappy customer service". I can't reiterate enough, I know this is a forum for Windows enthusiats and you are all excited. But its not commonplace for an abundance of info to be released on most phones. And I agree, AT&T seems to be buds with Windows.

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Went by Bestbuy to see if there were any dummies up there and could not find anything about it. I am still hodling out hope considering the other two phones thought to be released on May 12th for Verizon are still not showing up anywhere either.

Maybe they will all be released on May19th, but I think if it doesn't show anywhere tomorrow (including the MS offer) that May 19th is looking more likely. I thought for sure that the MS offer would give the ability to order sooner than the release but maybe not...

The dummy phones will not be out until after business hours the night before release.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if you consider no information on this phone "crappy customer service". I can't reiterate enough, I know this is a forum for Windows enthusiats and you are all excited. But its not commonplace for an abundance of info to be released on most phones. And I agree, AT&T seems to be buds with Windows.

No, this hooplah with this phone isn't what bothers me about verizon, their new policies and general attitude (from Corp) toward their cutomer base is what bothers me, their attitude towards windows phone and heavy investment in android is just the icing on the cake.

I'm givin them two years essentially to shape up.

I kind of want the tmob/AT&T merger to go through so Verizon has something to worry about again.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon pretty much got android on its feet. Why wouldn't they support it extensively?

the limited availiblity of an iphone, or any other smartphone at the time on their network is what got android on its feet. if RIM had actually made a good OS and phone with the storm, you can bet the droid would not have had the huge impact that it did.

however, that's all well and good, and i understand that they are heavily invested in the platform with their own branding for devices and all, but when it comes down to the consumer, what we want is choice, i don't care how heavily they bet the future on android, i want to be able to choose the phone that works best for me.

their new return policy's odd strictness, the removal of NE2, the removal of one year contracts, the and the general attitude of "you need use more than we need you" is what bothers me.

it's very "apple" in nature, and it's what fuels my love/hate relationship with apple products (very good hardware and user experience, but terrible culture, which is the opposite for google right now, crappy user experience but [so far] a better culture for the company)

microsoft ever since the release of windows 7 has been doing all kinds of things right in my book.

however, i am giving verizon 2 years to shape up, by then, i doubt they will have the clear advantage when it comes to network coverage, and LTE should be prevalent on multiple carriers, so they better give me a good reason to stick with them, because to be clear, they need us (the subscriber) far more than we need them.

enough rant though, hopefully come thursday everything comes up roses and i'll be happy with my locked in unlimited data plan and great coverage while i reassess the value proposition the network provides me with in 2 years.

:)

Grubish360

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
the limited availiblity of an iphone, or any other smartphone at the time on their network is what got android on its feet. if RIM had actually made a good OS and phone with the storm, you can bet the droid would not have had the huge impact that it did.

however, that's all well and good, and i understand that they are heavily invested in the platform with their own branding for devices and all, but when it comes down to the consumer, what we want is choice, i don't care how heavily they bet the future on android, i want to be able to choose the phone that works best for me.

their new return policy's odd strictness, the removal of NE2, the removal of one year contracts, the and the general attitude of "you need use more than we need you" is what bothers me.

it's very "apple" in nature, and it's what fuels my love/hate relationship with apple products (very good hardware and user experience, but terrible culture, which is the opposite for google right now, crappy user experience but [so far] a better culture for the company)

microsoft ever since the release of windows 7 has been doing all kinds of things right in my book.

however, i am giving verizon 2 years to shape up, by then, i doubt they will have the clear advantage when it comes to network coverage, and LTE should be prevalent on multiple carriers, so they better give me a good reason to stick with them, because to be clear, they need us (the subscriber) far more than we need them.

enough rant though, hopefully come thursday everything comes up roses and i'll be happy with my locked in unlimited data plan and great coverage while i reassess the value proposition the network provides me with in 2 years.

:)

Thursday cannot come any faster :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte