Called Verizon Today

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
No, this hooplah with this phone isn't what bothers me about verizon, their new policies and general attitude (from Corp) toward their cutomer base is what bothers me, their attitude towards windows phone and heavy investment in android is just the icing on the cake.

I'm givin them two years essentially to shape up.

I kind of want the tmob/AT&T merger to go through so Verizon has something to worry about again.

Why do you think AT&T and Tmobile together are something to worry about?

dago240sx

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well i took my iphone back to verizon and after the Rep got done turning my fascinate back on he asked if there were any other devices i might be intrested in. I pretty much just laughed and told him a i wanted a wp7 phone and he just kinda looked at me like i was stupid. I will say one thing i didnt like the iphone but the fascinate is worse... but i will absolutly love an htc tropy....

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Why do you think AT&T and Tmobile together are something to worry about?

It would make AT&T a very large network with a 4g base as well, it should (hopefully) give Verizon something to think about when enacting more and more policies that only benefit them, not their customers.

Khensu

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys... I work at Microsoft and am following this closely. So I'll let you know if we hear anything offiical (i.e. not confidential). I don't have anything to do with the WP7 department, so I'm not really privy to any confidential info on it anyways.

I did do the "Special Offer" which is not a pre-order, it's just reserving a device for us. I don't even have to order the phone when it's released if I don't want to.

I have a feeling that I won't hear anything you guys don't already know though. We'll see....

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Such as what policies in specific?

Hi all, new guy here.

To answer this, I think the policies that are being referred to include:
-The removal of New Every Two
-One year contracts are gone
-Users have very limited options for phones outside of smartphones, forcing users who have "feature phones" to pay $10 data plans even if they won't use it
-The impending removal of unlimited data
-Changing of the phone upgrade policy to 20 months
-Slowing of data speeds to the heaviest users
-Reduced return policy from 30 days to 14...after 14 days you have to pay the restocking fee

and I'm sure the list goes on. It's frustrating that we as users pay more, yet receive less benefits.

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, new guy here.

To answer this, I think the policies that are being referred to include:
-The removal of New Every Two
-One year contracts are gone
-Users have very limited options for phones outside of smartphones, forcing users who have "feature phones" to pay $10 data plans even if they won't use it
-The impending removal of unlimited data
-Changing of the phone upgrade policy to 20 months
-Slowing of data speeds to the heaviest users
-Reduced return policy from 30 days to 14...after 14 days you have to pay the restocking fee

and I'm sure the list goes on. It's frustrating that we as users pay more, yet receive less benefits.

1. Verizon Wireless is not the only carrier that has done away with a "NE2" type program

2. I've been with the company for just short of five years, and I have more fingers on one hand (5) then times I've had customers request one year contracts. Everyone wants low prices on phones, or even phones for free, you can't offer those things for a one year contract.

3. I just counted 27 Feature phones on our website. There is no forcing anyone to pay a ten dollar data plan, that was done away with. Two catagories of phones, Smartphones and Feature phones. Smartphones require it, Features phones don't, simple as that. And if you don't want a smartphone and can't find something you like out of a choice of 27 phones, come on.

4. This speculation of the removal of unlimited data is now going on six months, and we still haven't seen any change. How can you complain about something that hasn't happened?

5. You used to have to wait a full two years for a phone, would you rather go backwards?

6. Along with being an employee, I'm also a customer, and I'm about as heavy of a data user as they come. No one has slowed my speeds.

7. Shorter return periods are the norm in a lot of other retail sectors. Best Buy has had the same type of return policy on a number of the goods they sell for years.

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
1. Verizon Wireless is not the only carrier that has done away with a "NE2" type program *ok, so that means that we as consumers should be pleased by this?

2. I've been with the company for just short of five years, and I have more fingers on one hand (5) then times I've had customers request one year contracts. Everyone wants low prices on phones, or even phones for free, you can't offer those things for a one year contract. *This may be true, however it is still removing an option for your customers.

3. I just counted 27 Feature phones on our website. There is no forcing anyone to pay a ten dollar data plan, that was done away with. Two catagories of phones, Smartphones and Feature phones. Smartphones require it, Features phones don't, simple as that. And if you don't want a smartphone and can't find something you like out of a choice of 27 phones, come on. *I was operating under incorrect information, point taken.

4. This speculation of the removal of unlimited data is now going on six months, and we still haven't seen any change. How can you complain about something that hasn't happened? *I'm not complaining, but executives have strongly indicated that this is the future. It's not something to be happy about.

5. You used to have to wait a full two years for a phone, would you rather go backwards? *actually, I used to be able to upgrade after 12 or 13 months, so it's really not going backward.

6. Along with being an employee, I'm also a customer, and I'm about as heavy of a data user as they come. No one has slowed my speeds. *you are an employee - is it out of the realm of possibility that such policies don't apply to you? While they may not have enacted it, it's coming according to CNN and many other media outlets.

7. Shorter return periods are the norm in a lot of other retail sectors. Best Buy has had the same type of return policy on a number of the goods they sell for years.
*ok...again, I'm not sure why this matters. It's still taking away something from your customer.

Thanks for the reply and clarifications. I'm not trying to start a war with you or anyone so there's no need to get defensive because you work there - I was simply pointing out what many perceive as new policies that benefit Verizon and not the consumer. Just because other companies do it doesn't mean that we as consumers have to like it - we're all paying a lot of money for a service that has unfortunately become almost necessity in our society.

It is unfortunate that many individuals who work at the major cell phone companies are often "brand loyal," not truly seeing through the customers eyes and instead seeing through the glasses of "commission." I live with a guy who worked at AT&T for 3 years and he was the same way - defended AT&T no matter what. He now works for a reseller of multiple carriers and has since become less defensive about the "great" carrier he worked for. Very similar to the attitude you'll see of Apple, Android, Playstation, Xbox, etc fanboys.

swantonsoup

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I'll have to defend Verizon on this one. They have been great to me. I wish the Trophy was released already but they literally have not said anything public about it. Its like getting mad at Verizon for not giving us a date on the Verizon iPhone.

I'll be disappointed if they get rid of unlimited data plans, but like Wireless Vet said, that hasn't happened yet.

Biased123

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I think I'll have to defend Verizon on this one. They have been great to me. I wish the Trophy was released already but they literally have not said anything public about it. Its like getting mad at Verizon for not giving us a date on the Verizon iPhone.

I'll be disappointed if they get rid of unlimited data plans, but like Wireless Vet said, that hasn't happened yet.

It is however perfecly logical to be upset about Verizon Wireless not releasing a WP7 until May. It has been 7 months (or so) since the OS was released on AT&T and T-Mobile and a month or so since Sprint released the OS. I couldn't really care less about the device, but it is kind of rediculous that it has taken the US's largest wireless carrier so long to come out with a new device and thus the OS.

Hopefully VZW can read the tea leaves and see that recent happenings point to a need to support WP7 a little better.

I would also argue that VZW's business ties with some companies (google) is potentaily hurting their business dealings with other companies (Apple, MS). How long did it take VZW to get the iPhone rolling. If there is really is no contractual reason why VZW was so late in coming out with these new OS's and devices, its kinda scary how slow their new device testing is... I think my company (Boeing) could release a product faster... and thats saying a lot... ;)

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I will put my 2 cents into the basket aswell and say yes verizon hasn't said a release date or anything really on the matter of a wp7 phone. Yes the iphone took a long time as well but when apple 1st came to verizon before at&t got the exclusive I heard they offered verizon the exclusive but verizon turned them down because they were asking to much. Which as a customer I can appreciate because most times the expense is passed on to the customer. At the same time taking away things might not be the best way and in such quick succession might make people upset even if something isn't used much word of mouth of a small group often leads to bigger groups. I myself have never had bad service with any wireless carrier. My only choice is in coverage which verizon has the best where I'm at. So I'll stick with them. At times it does feel like every other carrier is getting really awesome phones and then I look at verizon and they have nothing in comparison. While other times like now it seems they're getting really cool phones soon. I hope once verizon gets a wp7 they see how great an os it is and has great hardware to. But and it's a big BUT you can't really blame them for being cautious when dealing with a new microsoft os after the whole kin thing so yes as much as I want a wp7 I'll give them some slack seeing as they really haven't done anything wrong just cautious so I quess it's up to us to show them that we back the WP7 os and they should jump on to. Just like you can be sure they'll get the next iphone...just maybe not the same time that at&t does ;)

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
*ok...again, I'm not sure why this matters. It's still taking away something from your customer.

Thanks for the reply and clarifications. I'm not trying to start a war with you or anyone so there's no need to get defensive because you work there - I was simply pointing out what many perceive as new policies that benefit Verizon and not the consumer. Just because other companies do it doesn't mean that we as consumers have to like it - we're all paying a lot of money for a service that has unfortunately become almost necessity in our society.

It is unfortunate that many individuals who work at the major cell phone companies are often "brand loyal," not truly seeing through the customers eyes and instead seeing through the glasses of "commission." I live with a guy who worked at AT&T for 3 years and he was the same way - defended AT&T no matter what. He now works for a reseller of multiple carriers and has since become less defensive about the "great" carrier he worked for. Very siRmilar to the attitude you'll see of Apple, Android, Playstation, Xbox, etc fanboys.

I simply ask if you are going to complain or feel as though things are being taken away from you, that you have facts straight.

Biased123

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So I was at Starbucks and thought I would drop by a Verizon Wireless store this morning and just ask the question.

The guy I asked just happen to be the manager, as well... I notifed him that I have pre-reserved the Trophy through the MS offer, as well so he really had no reason to lie to me to sell me anything...

If it will be released tomorrow, he did a very nice job of not giving anything away. He said that it was suppose to be released his week or next and that it was delayed "or something" again. He also mentioned that he had played with the device and that training was done for his employees...

Just seems strange to me that if they have been trained, the guy played around with a working version of it, but that the manager had no idea of when it would be released. If there was one person who would probably know at a verizon store, it would be the manager.

I am sure he knew something and just didn't want to tell me for fear of losing his job or something. I respect that. I still can't help but believe that it will be at least be pushed back to next week.

Put this in perspective... you have a customer that comes in and asks when a phone is coming out. Why on earth would you not want to tell them?

Now there is a policy that VZW should get on board with. Give information to your management staff and allow them to tell cusomters information about products. The fact that stores and staff do not know about releases until two days before they are released in order to not give customers a false sense of impending release if it is not ready is a double edges sword. The rumors will happen anyways. Sometimes rumors can be good. Lots of rumors lead to more interest.

I would propose that VZW take the other road and be very open about their product releases. Notify managers and staff in order to sell future products better. I wonder how many customers were recently lost to Sprint for the WP7 just because VZW decided not to announce anything at that point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786