Called Verizon Today

swantonsoup

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok, maybe not the same but how about; need to root and add some homebrew stuff to make the phone somewhat functional, more different UI layers than MLB has baseballs, battery drain, lag and freezeups. Isn't that enough.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Whoa whoa whoa. Android is a great mobile operating system and is significantly better than WinMo 6.5. From an engineering perspective, its not even close. WinMo was just Windows CE, Android was actually designed for a smartphone.

The amount of customization available is a design decision Google wanted.

Dont get me wrong, I think WP7 is better than Android but lets not get ignorant and say WinMo and Android are the same.

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I would just point out that supposidly the MS offer people will probably get notice at least 2 days before public launch. So with that said, if its not announced today/tomorrow to them (which everyone will probably hear about when it happens) then to me it seems unlikley that it would come out on the 19th. They are given free two day shipping when it comes out...

I was told that it is "imminent" (whatever that means...) by a unnamed source after writing a email to someone close to the situation. The email I received was explicit about me not sharing any of the info in it so I can't post it here. But it didn't give me any info anyways.

Imminent...

Ughhhh.. fristrating...

I just got off of a chat with a Verizon rep. Quite funny and same old stuff - no information on "if and when" they will have this phone. But she did inform me that they just got the Charge in and that I might want to look at that. Stonewalled again!

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
My point is, your post was childish, and it sounds like nothing will make you happy.

His post referred to phones and operating systems that virtually every carrier has. We as employees own all the same phones as you folks do, and in most cases, don't even have 1/4 of the issues that customers claim to have. Let's be serious, do you really believe in someone who has a complaint about every smartphone Verizon carries? I owned the Storm 1 and owned it well after the warranty was long over. That poor phone took a beating in the press and by Blackberry fans. I never had it replaced once.

no, i know EXACTLY what will make me happy, a wp7 handset. i know this, because i have a focus, and it is one of the best phones i've used in YEARS.

you want a rundown of issues i have with phones i have owned and operating systems?

blackberry storm1: limited memory, slow, poorly designed screen mechanism (i went through 3 of them)
blackberry storm2: better, but OS is getting outdated (this is what i'm using right now since i sold my iphone and every time i need to use the web browser, i want to shoot myself in the face) surepress mechanism is still gimmicky and makes typing slower
blackberry tour: still has trackball issues, and OS is still totally outdated if you want to do anything aside from message and email.

benefits to bbOS: excellent messaging system for exchange users, most are global devices.

do i WANT to use it? NO.

motorola droid: limited memory, extremely crappy keyboard (albeit, i didn't use it much), heavy, poor camera quality.
droid eris: no flash, poor camera quality, low res screen, crappy msm processor
droid incredible: poor camera quality (i still like this phone)
droid x: locked bootloader, one of the worst cameras in low light conditions. (it's like you have a screen door in front of all your pictures)
samsung fascinate: crappy support from samsung (this phone JUST got 2.2), stupid file system does nothing but add lag to the system over time, ridiculous coding on samsung's part (the RIL code is from android 1.6), and touchwiz looks like something a circus clown would throw up.

benefits to android: "open" OS, high level of customizability (which is why the analogies to winmo of old are made, if google doesn't do something to corral fragmentation, it's going to end up a convoluted mess just like winmo did, and in that way i agree with the analogy and see it as a major problem with android)

do i WANT android? NO (i will def reassess android after ice cream comes out, as well as seeing what google actually does with the update partnership thing they announced at I/O)

iphone4: poor notification system, gets old having to jump between 30 apps to do something, itunes (i despise itunes)

benefits to iOS: huge selection of apps, hardware is generally very well designed (i never had the antennagate issues with my phone)

do i WANT iOS? NO

i'm not even going to write a real one for winmo, i had an imagio, and it sucked, end of story, but winmo of old should not even be in this list really.

also, i have never owned a webOS device, but i've played with them, and there's no way i'd be able to use those small screens and keyboards on a daily basis.

i've done more with each and every one of those OS's than you can imagine, and when i say there is nothing on verizon i [currently] WANT it's not out of ignorance or fanboism, i have no loyalty to any company just as they have no loyalty to me. a phone is just another gadget and tool, and i'll use the one that works best with my life.

in that sense, i've never really understood fanboyism and why people feel the need to align themselves with products and companies when talking about something that as trivial as a phone, computer, mp3 player, car, etc when those things really don't matter in the long run.

being that i have a zune pass, xbox live, and use windows on my computers more than linux or macOS, the microsoft ecosystem appeals the most to me and makes my life easier.

you still don't seem to understand that while all the other carriers have the same stuff verizon has, they ALSO carry WP7, which verizon for some reason or another is dragging their feet in releasing.

my post which you for some reason took offense to was in reply to someone wanting to switch platforms, and i was simply stating my experience with them, and having played with wp7 quite a bit now, it is far better imo than other stuff out there. not really sure why you got so defensive.

so how about chilling out and not taking our collective (and understandable) frustration with verizon so personally.

Khensu

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I would just point out that supposidly the MS offer people will probably get notice at least 2 days before public launch.

I really don't think we're going to get notified any sooner then everyone else. But if we do, I'll be the first to post. =)

I think it's gotta be thursday, considering the amount of leaks and the "Fake" release we had last thursday. lol

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
ahhh crap I just saw this http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-lte-expansion-may-19 over at android central making me not so hopeful for a phone release so they can expand and be more concerened about their 4g network.

yea, the lack of any other leaks with concrete data on them worry me as well.

the droidx2 had specific details of it's release date and manual leaked already, i find it hard to believe that verizon can keep the trophy stuff so well secured compared to anything else.

so there's two scenario's in my mind

1. there is no promotional and informative material for verizon and there won't be until after release (which seems rather odd)

2. they are delaying it further into the future

both of those things seem weird with all the bestbuy/xbox stuff that showed up last week.

i'll talk to my friend tomorrow, i have him checking with regional managers anyways but there is any info to be had, he'll get it.

although, he laughed when i said i was hoping for the 12th or 19th... :(

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I would just point out that supposidly the MS offer people will probably get notice at least 2 days before public launch. So with that said, if its not announced today/tomorrow to them (which everyone will probably hear about when it happens) then to me it seems unlikley that it would come out on the 19th. They are given free two day shipping when it comes out...

I was told that it is "imminent" (whatever that means...) by a unnamed source after writing a email to someone close to the situation. The email I received was explicit about me not sharing any of the info in it so I can't post it here. But it didn't give me any info anyways.

Imminent...

Ughhhh.. fristrating...

yea, my verizon contact told me imminent two weeks ago after the wp7 training came out, but he didn't know what they meant by that either. :p

Biased123

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think we're going to get notified any sooner then everyone else. But if we do, I'll be the first to post. =)

I think it's gotta be thursday, considering the amount of leaks and the "Fake" release we had last thursday. lol

I have a email out to see if I can get out of the 2 year contract they put me on when we reserved it. If so, Bye Bye VZW...

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to point out that the bestbuy leaks should be taken lightly. I was interested in the HTC merge in 2010. HTC Merge Shows Up in Best Buy?s Inventories But that phone never even saw the light of day. Im still staying optimistic.

True, but the dummy phones and Xbox Live advertisements lend a bit more credence to the "imminent" release. I'm still rubbing my luck rabbits foot for May 19th, but it would not surprise me in the least if that date slipped until June 30th.

s80t699

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
You know, I do drive past a place where you can have your palm read. I wonder if I should stop in there to see if there is a HTC Trophy in my near future :)

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
no, i know EXACTLY what will make me happy, a wp7 handset. i know this, because i have a focus, and it is one of the best phones i've used in YEARS.

you want a rundown of issues i have with phones i have owned and operating systems?

blackberry storm1: limited memory, slow, poorly designed screen mechanism (i went through 3 of them)
blackberry storm2: better, but OS is getting outdated (this is what i'm using right now since i sold my iphone and every time i need to use the web browser, i want to shoot myself in the face) surepress mechanism is still gimmicky and makes typing slower
blackberry tour: still has trackball issues, and OS is still totally outdated if you want to do anything aside from message and email.

benefits to bbOS: excellent messaging system for exchange users, most are global devices.

do i WANT to use it? NO.

motorola droid: limited memory, extremely crappy keyboard (albeit, i didn't use it much), heavy, poor camera quality.
droid eris: no flash, poor camera quality, low res screen, crappy msm processor
droid incredible: poor camera quality (i still like this phone)
droid x: locked bootloader, one of the worst cameras in low light conditions. (it's like you have a screen door in front of all your pictures)
samsung fascinate: crappy support from samsung (this phone JUST got 2.2), stupid file system does nothing but add lag to the system over time, ridiculous coding on samsung's part (the RIL code is from android 1.6), and touchwiz looks like something a circus clown would throw up.

benefits to android: "open" OS, high level of customizability (which is why the analogies to winmo of old are made, if google doesn't do something to corral fragmentation, it's going to end up a convoluted mess just like winmo did, and in that way i agree with the analogy and see it as a major problem with android)

do i WANT android? NO (i will def reassess android after ice cream comes out, as well as seeing what google actually does with the update partnership thing they announced at I/O)

iphone4: poor notification system, gets old having to jump between 30 apps to do something, itunes (i despise itunes)

benefits to iOS: huge selection of apps, hardware is generally very well designed (i never had the antennagate issues with my phone)

do i WANT iOS? NO

i'm not even going to write a real one for winmo, i had an imagio, and it sucked, end of story, but winmo of old should not even be in this list really.

also, i have never owned a webOS device, but i've played with them, and there's no way i'd be able to use those small screens and keyboards on a daily basis.

i've done more with each and every one of those OS's than you can imagine, and when i say there is nothing on verizon i [currently] WANT it's not out of ignorance or fanboism, i have no loyalty to any company just as they have no loyalty to me. a phone is just another gadget and tool, and i'll use the one that works best with my life.

in that sense, i've never really understood fanboyism and why people feel the need to align themselves with products and companies when talking about something that as trivial as a phone, computer, mp3 player, car, etc when those things really don't matter in the long run.

being that i have a zune pass, xbox live, and use windows on my computers more than linux or macOS, the microsoft ecosystem appeals the most to me and makes my life easier.

you still don't seem to understand that while all the other carriers have the same stuff verizon has, they ALSO carry WP7, which verizon for some reason or another is dragging their feet in releasing.

my post which you for some reason took offense to was in reply to someone wanting to switch platforms, and i was simply stating my experience with them, and having played with wp7 quite a bit now, it is far better imo than other stuff out there. not really sure why you got so defensive.

so how about chilling out and not taking our collective (and understandable) frustration with verizon so personally.

I truly don't get where you all get that I'm taking any of this personally. Someone could call me the most offensive thing possible and I would laugh with great delight. I simply like to call people out when they are expressing ignorance and stupidity,

Kitsune5tails

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You have to be kidding? How could you compare the two?

I compare the two by the fact that Microsoft use to pretty much let the manufacturer's put the os on almost anything they could get it to work on. The result was products that might not see much support after the first availibility, and many times had issues due to rushed production and possibly flawed drivers. Software was also not checked by Microsoft if my memory is correct. Android is having some issues that in my oppinion are similar to this. Microsoft moved away from doing things in this manor it seems on the mobile platform. Android is now moving this way from what I see.

I don't know if you agree on this or not. I am just stating my opinion.

Kitsune5tails

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Whoa whoa whoa. Android is a great mobile operating system and is significantly better than WinMo 6.5. From an engineering perspective, its not even close. WinMo was just Windows CE, Android was actually designed for a smartphone.

The amount of customization available is a design decision Google wanted.

Dont get me wrong, I think WP7 is better than Android but lets not get ignorant and say WinMo and Android are the same.

I didn't say they were the same, I said it was like as in they were similar, and from what I see, I stand by my opinion. I have a Windows Phone sitting on my table, the old Motorola MPX200 a device that had Windows Mobile 2002 on it. The precurser to many of the smart phones you currently use. The stuff people did to the phones running this os are vast. Also to the android being built from the ground up statement. Isn't android a linux base? Windows CE is built to run on many platforms. Windows Phone 7 shares some of this doesn't it? Android being linux based still doesn't change that either.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I truly don't get where you all get that I'm taking any of this personally. Someone could call me the most offensive thing possible and I would laugh with great delight. I simply like to call people out when they are expressing ignorance and stupidity,

so where exactly is the ignorance and stupidity in my post...?

anyways, i'm done with the conversation, aside from verizon releasing the trophy, there is nothing that can be said to convince me to settle for the mediocre phones that verizon currently offers, i've stated why very clearly and objectively and i don't think there's anything more to be said, so let's just get back on topic.

as to winmo using windowsCE and android being built "from the ground up"

winmo was built "from the ground up" in the same way android was, it uses winCE as a base just like android/iOS use linux and blackberry uses java.

iirc wp7 is still using winCE, but a new version of it. (more like windows embedded i think)

the problem (imo) with android is its lack of control, it's a double edged sword allowing for a lot of variety, but also adding a lot of smaller issues since there is nothing regulating it and maing things consistent and good experience wise for the end user.

it's fun to play with and tinker, but in the end, i want a phone i can just "use" and works well with the ecosystem i already have.

the wp7 platform is more like iOS in this regard, just using microsoft's zune/windows/xbox ecosystem versus apple's itunes/macOS one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss