Called Verizon Today

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I think you may be in the wrong business.

To come onto a Windows PHONE forum and tell Verizon customers that are getting excited about a VERIZON phone (officially announced or not) that they are stupid for doing so is... well, stupid.

I'm not a Verizon customer, which makes me feel lucky from following this thread, but just from how this whole situation has been handled puts a bad taste in my mouth about Verizon. I'm in no way affiliated with AT&T but I have been with them for 5+ years with absolutely zero problems. If you have decent reception in your area, go for it, and grab a WP7 device from them. ****, just try it out for the 30 days.

I am doing exactly this right now. Tested both carriers out on an 800 mile road trip last weekend and found that while Verizon had only a slight edge on overall coverage it was nowhere near as great a difference as I expected. To be fair the 3g coverage on Verizon wins outright with no contest. That said, when the ATT phone had coverage, it seemed like a stronger signal than Verizon almost always. Also ATT's 3g speeds seemed slightly faster though this is hard to measure for sure on such differing devices.

The fact that I can get quite a bit more (service wise) for less money monthly, and the focus is now only $49 is making the decision on whether or not to stay with Verizon extremely diffcult. I think overall the Focus is a better phone (nicer camera with more settings, weighs almost nothing, 4" screen, super amoled, sd slot, etc), which is also making the decision HARD. I may just switch and keep an old verizon phone for hikes/biking trips in case I need to dial 911.

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I dont know about going to AT&T. Bought a focus off ebay, went into the store to get a sim card and activate it and they run a credit check and tell me i would have to pay a $500 deposit. When I get a credit check through Verizon they tell me $125. Credit may not be the best but the difference is ridiculous. If there coverage isn't the problem its this kind of stuff that is. Going to have to sell the focus now cause there is no way im paying $500. Plus was told I can't do a pre-paid plan with that phone.

Last edited:

jonsmith89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why there is a need for a credit check if you'll be paying month to month they'll have you pre-billed paying a month in advance. Try selecting a sim card and picking a plan online and see what happens.

I've had a rep try to get me into a 2 year contract without my knowing of it before. This may have been the case for you. I've learned to never trust an AT&T salesman again; and to do all of my business online or be sure to know exactly what they are doing.

Last edited:

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why there is a need for a credit check if you'll be paying month to month they'll have you pre-billed paying a month in advance. Try selecting a sim card and picking a plan online and see what happens.

I've had a rep try to get me into a 2 year contract without my knowing of it before. This may have been the case for you. I've learned to never trust an AT&T salesman again; and to do all of my business online or be sure to know exactly what they are doing.
where would I go on there site? cant find out how to activate or anything without them asking for a #
and are you talking about pre-paid sim card or a regular one

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure the credit check has nothing to do with the contract. Its more about if you racked up a huge bill (overages) and then walked w/out paying it. They cannot bill you in advance for overages.

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
weird thing is they tell me i couldn't put a prepaid plan on that phone cause its not a gophone but i have seen people on here say that they have pre-paid with this phone so idk if I should go and get a pre-paid card or not

coolduderedux

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but I beg to differ....

"Early 2011"

Go see for yourself... notice the URL...

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ash.html?CMP=EMC-WLS-B-S-DIR-1&token=wEJQ7ubo

While I understand that is not an exact date. It is also a lie.

ITT people discover that dates are subject to change.

Anywho, what's the likely hood of this phone receiving calls while on the internet? Is it completely a CDMA thing where that's impossible or not? Because I have a Samsung Reality and I can be surfing the web and still get texts/calls.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
ITT people discover that dates are subject to change.

Anywho, what's the likely hood of this phone receiving calls while on the internet? Is it completely a CDMA thing where that's impossible or not? Because I have a Samsung Reality and I can be surfing the web and still get texts/calls.

The issue is not that you miss a call/text when on the data connection, its that you cannot simultaneously do both. The call/text will disconnect your data session and then come through.

The thing ATT touts about actually talking while surfing seems like something that would very rarely get used.

coolduderedux

May 17, 2011
Visit site
The issue is not that you miss a call/text when on the data connection, its that you cannot simultaneously do both. The call/text will disconnect your data session and then come through.

The thing ATT touts about actually talking while surfing seems like something that would very rarely get used.

When my friend is using her Droid Eris on Cricket, she cannot receive calls while she's on the web; she only gets texts. On my phone, I can get both and go back to where I left off on the web. Obviously my phone isn't able to do both. I just want to be sure that I can be surfing or getting live updates and I can still get calls and texts normally if/when I get the Trophy.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
When my friend is using her Droid Eris on Cricket, she cannot receive calls while she's on the web; she only gets texts. On my phone, I can get both and go back to where I left off on the web. Obviously my phone isn't able to do both. I just want to be sure that I can be surfing or getting live updates and I can still get calls and texts normally if/when I get the Trophy.

Never used any of the droids, but every winmo device I have had did what you expect, I don't see why the wp7 device wouldn't do the same. That said, I have obviously not tried it out, so I can't say 100%. I would say im about 98% sure :)

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
There's one point to make that I made back at the start of this thread, and that is there has never been an official date released by Verizon Wireless. To this day, there has been no announcement. So you are all getting hard ons over speculatory dates, photos, etc, and that's on you. All of this over a phone.

Sounds like Waycoolkennel had it exactly right
"VZW: If I want your opinion... I'll give it to you."

So, wireless vet. Maybe you can point us to Verizon's official policy on how much of a "hard on" we are supposed to get over a phone. (I hope you have included a guide for the ladies, as well.)

That's spot on. While enthusiasts such as yourselves are getting over excited over pre release info, life goes on in the trenches. .

If we are "over excited" over this, maybe there is an official Verizon guide tell us what level of excitment is allowed for a Verizon device?

-I'm sure we are over exited for WP7.
-Probably just exited enough for iPhruit.
-Not exited enough for a Droid.

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
What I'm curious about is the cause of the "delays." Is it because they're still testing it? Is a lack of supply? Is it because they don't feel it can compete during this particular launch window?

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow you guys went crazy while I was at work. Just to add my 2 cents. I just got off the phone with a very helpful sales person (someone on another line on my account got an iphone) and she said they don't have a release date for the trophy but she would call me when she knew something. So here's hoping I don't have to wait to long before hearing from them. Plus she said she would give me an upgrade on my line which is still 2 months away from the early upgrade. I was just going to use a different line's upgrade for me to get a trophy

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Dunno, today I was typing a comment to these forums with Board Express Pro when a call came in. Spoke for 5 minutes and when the call was over, my cousins face faded away and the cursor was still blinking in the same place on my post. I like that. And I have been online for about 25% of my incoming calls.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
weird thing is they tell me i couldn't put a prepaid plan on that phone cause its not a gophone but i have seen people on here say that they have pre-paid with this phone so idk if I should go and get a pre-paid card or not

you can 100% use a prepaid sim with the phone, just go to the att store and ask for one, then add data/text plans and have them fill in 1's for the imei (i'm pretty sure entering the actual phone's imei won't cause any problems but i didn't have it with me when i went to get the sim so they just put a string of 1's in)

they said that data might not work with it since it wasn't one of the go phones, but the salesman and i both agreed that it really should work fine, since data is data.

for the short time my focus worked (there was an issue with the sim reader contacts, so it's at samsung getting fixed) it worked perfectly fine with calls/text/data.

Dunno, today I was typing a comment to these forums with Board Express Pro when a call came in. Spoke for 5 minutes and when the call was over, my cousins face faded away and the cursor was still blinking in the same place on my post. I like that. And I have been online for about 25% of my incoming calls.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

the problem isn't that it will close your data connection in the sense that everything data related gets shut down, but that you can't utilize the 1x network and the evdo network at the same time, which is a CDMA limitation, which means ANY phone on verizon's network cannot use the phone/texts which use the 1x radio and data which uses the EVDO radio at the same time.

try pushing the post or send button on a forum post, or click or try to open a webpage while on the phone or when receiving a text, the phone (any phone) will freak out, and either the text will fail, or your data connection will not work (ie, page will not load)

if you are on wifi however, then (obviously) it will be fine since the phone isn't utilizing the evdo radio.

GSM networks don't have this limitation, and while i don't find it to really be a big deal at all, i'd say about 30% of my friends who have att say they find it to come in handy quite often, so it really depends on your usage pattern as to whether or not it will be a big feature for you or not.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand, the main problem is that 1x is technically a 3G technology, not a 2G as many believe. The 2G networks died when analog service was discontinued. (Think of it like 3G in its infancy.) I've heard people on tech blogs say voice/data simultaneously will be available in the future, but IMO, it'll probably involve some sort of voip solution, which brings us to...

Simultaneous CDMA/LTE *can* be done due to having multiple technologies in the same phone. I dunno of any Winmo phones coming out that have LTE, but I suppose they'll be in the works soon if they aren't already.

For what it's worth, I've never found myself needing internet on my phone while talking on it. The only thing I really grab for when talking on the phone is my calendar to be honest. :p I do enough browsing while on the phone at work while looking up answers to obscure android issues, so I guess I just have no desire to do it during personal "me" time.

If you really need voice/data at the same time, there's always existing VoIP like skype. Just make sure whoever's on the other end has it too.

Pack34

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully we hear something at the Mango event on Tuesday. Afterall, the background in the invite is red and the phone does look similar to the Trophy.

danielgary

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the Droid X2 was officially announced today...for online release tomorrow. Guess there's a sliver of hope.

That was my thought. If stores are not getting them in stock, I am predicting a similar situation with the Trophy. Online ordering tomorrow, general availability next Thursday.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss