Called Verizon Today

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
@adiliyo

If you decide to get three and scalp two.. send me a PM where your listing it ;) Also how did you get 500meg on a prepaid ? I only saw the 200meg variety ?

I for one will NEVER sign another contract with VZW. In fact.. given the screen downgrade on the Trophy.. I may just keep paying AT&T for my Focus.. until my contract is up with VZW..

If I find a Trophy on ebay or CL for cheap.. maybe I'll buy one.. but I'll never sign another contract with VZW. They have beat me enough for one lifetime waiting for the trophy..

OH BIG question here...

Does anyone know if the phone has the AT&T bands in it.. originally the rumor was it did...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I would think that reps should be knowledgeable on ALL devices they sell to better meet the needs of their customers. Cant give a customer good advice if you dont know what the phone is capable of. Confirmation of why we continue to see lower than expected sales of WP7 devices.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
sent an email to HTC asking about the screen on the Trophy.. apparently they dont know what they manufacture.. LOL

"I understand how important it is for you to be able to gather information about a device you would like to purchase. Unfortunately, we have not received any information about the device yet. We should be receiving the technical specifications closer to the release date. Unfortunately, we do not know an exact release date either. I have seen several websites and forums saying the device will be available June 2nd, but our corporate office has not confirmed this and I do not want to give you any false information. "

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
as for employees, i've noticed verizon has the most sales oriented CS reps (generally speaking, the ones i continue to actually work with aren't) out of all the providers stores i've visited. so the reps are going to sell what they actually know, what they are told to sell that week/month to meet sales goals, etc.

LOL we are not told "what to sell" on any given week. I've spent as much time on industry blogs as I have spent in the industry, and the misunderstanding and misconceptions of our job is so unbelievably laughable.

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I would think that reps should be knowledgeable on ALL devices they sell to better meet the needs of their customers. Cant give a customer good advice if you dont know what the phone is capable of. Confirmation of why we continue to see lower than expected sales of WP7 devices.

I agree, but understand that a phones release date, as opposed to every other thing a rep has to know and be responsible for, is very low on their priority list

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree, but understand that a phones release date, as opposed to every other thing a rep has to know and be responsible for, is very low on their priority list

No offense, but it's also not "rocket science." These things generally sell themselves according to my roommate, who coincidentally has been selling phones for 4 years.

Biased123

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

WV, honest question... why do you consider this not a major phone release? What are your benchmarks for a major release? What is VZW's standard release process for a major vs. minor phone release?

I point this out because usually when a company begins to sell a new major OS it should be major. There are only 2 reasons why it would not be considered a major phone release:

1. VZW does not consider it a major phone release, which means you are guilty of buying what your execs are selling (makes VZW look bad in our eyes)

2. You yourself do not consider it a major phone release (makes you look biased)

TO be very honest, a 2 week notice of a release on the VZW website does make me think that they are being proactive about notification of the phone. Which just makes me think that you just think this. You said it yourself that for minor releases they usually just come out on tuesday and announce it for Thursday...

Sounds like this is a major release to me, at least....

Last edited:

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
WV, honest question... why do you consider this not a major phone release? What are your benchmarks for a major release? What is VZW's standard release process for a major vs. minor phone release?

I point this out because usually when a company beings to sell a new major OS it should be major. There are only 2 reasons why it would not be considered a major phone release:

1. VZW does not consider it a major phone release, which means you are guilty of buying what your execs are selling (makes VZW look bad in our eyes)

2. You yourself do not consider it a major phone release (makes you look biased)

TO be very honest, a 2 week notice of a release on the VZW website does make me think that they are being proactive about notification of the phone. Which just makes me think that you just think this. You said it yourself that for minor releases they usually just come out on tuesday and announce it for Thursday...

To follow on this, when I spoke with an individual in the executive office, he indicated that there would be "major marketing" if the Trophy were indeed to come up. They just announced it today - it's possible they start pushing it a bit more in the next few weeks.

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
No offense, but it's also not "rocket science." These things generally sell themselves according to my roommate, who coincidentally has been selling phones for 4 years.

That's not even my point. Smartphones do indeed sell themselves. My point is/was, the poster that remarked about store reps not knowing the release date today needs to understand reps aren't informed with up to the minute info on a phones release date.

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

I point this out because usually when a company begins to sell a new major OS it should be major. There are only 2 reasons why it would not be considered a major phone release:

The phone was OFFICIALY announced today and will be released next week on our website: that is hardly a major announcement. Phones like the Storm, Droid, and Thunderbolt had tv press up to a month ahead.

Khensu

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting post from an Engadget poster... This would be odd if true I guess.

"Like in Europe HTC does not state whether the Trophy has LCD or SLCD. Same thing when looking at the spec sheet of the Verizon Trophy. Just the size and resolution.
My guess is that SLCD/LCD story will be the same with the Verizon Trophy as with the Trophy's in the Netherlands: some Trophy's come with SLCD and some with LCD. Annoying, but just take a look at the screen in the store and you'll know right away. Viewing angles on SLCD are super wide with no colour change, where colours change on the LCD version when looking from an angle.Personally the SLCD 3.8" WVGA 800x480 screen is the most beautifull screen on the market.
Large screen yet keeps the Trophy a very portable and light phone. "

HTC Trophy officially set to launch on Verizon May 26th -- Engadget

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I emailed HTC asking why they downgraded the screen. Here's the response I got:

I understand you are concerned with a possible downgrade of the screen type on the Trophy. At present I am unable to confirm if there is a difference in the screen type used, although I doubt that would be changed. I would suggest to wait until the device specs are listed on our USA website and if you have any questions please let us know.

Sincerely,

Douglas

HTC
Seems like the rank and file at HTC don't know anything about the phone yet.

Biased123

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The phone was OFFICIALY announced today and will be released next week on our website: that is hardly a major announcement. Phones like the Storm, Droid, and Thunderbolt had tv press up to a month ahead.

While I agree it is not a HUGE release, its not your "announced tuesday-released Thursday" either... We'll call it a "mid-major release":)

I still think your about the only one involved who thinks it is not a big deal... Maybe your tone is not coming across correctly.

*and take this as constructive criticism... but I don't think your tone comes across well. In written media, you should really be very aware of your tone. And as a representative of VZW... especially so.

Thanks for the info...

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Interesting post from an Engadget poster... This would be odd if true I guess.

"Like in Europe HTC does not state whether the Trophy has LCD or SLCD. Same thing when looking at the spec sheet of the Verizon Trophy. Just the size and resolution.
My guess is that SLCD/LCD story will be the same with the Verizon Trophy as with the Trophy's in the Netherlands: some Trophy's come with SLCD and some with LCD. Annoying, but just take a look at the screen in the store and you'll know right away. Viewing angles on SLCD are super wide with no colour change, where colours change on the LCD version when looking from an angle.Personally the SLCD 3.8" WVGA 800x480 screen is the most beautifull screen on the market.
Large screen yet keeps the Trophy a very portable and light phone. "

HTC Trophy officially set to launch on Verizon May 26th -- Engadget

Thanks for the heads up... So now we are playing the lotto, if it's true. Go figure!

Last edited:

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site
If it's true it wouldn't be entirely surprising, HTC has a reputation of using multiple displays in their phones. If memory serves me correct the incredible was sold with OLED and SLCD screens. But it think that had to do with supply from Samsung.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
And has the incredible battery life of 6 hours. Sign me up for that. $250 for the phone and another $100 for an extended life battery to make it through the day!
My phone noob cousin recently got the ThunderBolt and can't get through a full day (15 hrs) with the 2750mAh battery. She does not play games, nor does she even know how to access YouTube, etc. Text, mail, pictures some GPS and occasional phone calls. That's sad.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss